What's new

Why are some pakistanis calling themselves as "Desi"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
because they are from the (indian) subcontinent

Mulki wouldn't make much sense. Mulk = country. Mulki would more appropriately mean 'national'.
Well that's what Desi means. I think it's appropriate. Like

Desh = Country && Desi = Countrymen
Mulk = Country && Mulki = Countrymen.

What are you on about, Sir? He never objected to the language, just the 'word' desi.

He wants to drop the word 'desi' from the Urdu language. What next?
Will we start dropping anything that smacks of India?
No more tandoori chicken? no more sari?

As Pakistanis we are secure in our identity. There is no need for such insecurity.

You do know he was being sarcastic and actually insulting the OP?
Clearly it didn't occur to you that I was continuing with that sarcasm. My next post should have made that amply clear.

Both videshi and pardesi is used in Hindi both having Sanskrit origin.
Yeah but Videshi is foreigner and Pardesi is an NRI(Got this from song pardesi pardesi jaana nahin :lol:).

I agree that we should drop English words from Urdu. It may not be possible fully, but at least some effort should be made to use pure Urdu wherever possible.

Desi is a pure Urdu word and I don't see the need to drop it.

Pakistan also has the root -stan which we share with Hindu -stan. Should we change Pakistan's name because it has something in common with India? There's no need to be so sensitive on the matter.

We can build a Pakistani identity, and Urdu can be a part of it.

"Stan" is a persian word like in Afghani"stan" or Tajiki"stan".
In Pashto we don't say "stan". We say "khwa" like in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. (Land of Khyber-Pashtuns).
So "Stan" is no problem. It is familiar. Even in Afghanistan and central asia.
Urdu vocabulary is mainly arabic and persian. Grammar is indo-aryan though.
I am just saying we can replace certain words in urdu, especially english words. And also "Desi" so Pakistanis just call themselves pakistanis and connect with all pakistani ethnic groups especially pashtun, kashmiri and baloch.
But Desi is the wrong direction, as you can see some pakistanis using the term and also referring to indians and bengals.
Thats wrong in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom