What's new

Why are some pakistanis calling themselves as "Desi"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a silly thread,just start using the alternate words and they ll catch on.

people too vella,these days.

My urdu is bad and also my pashto is bad unfortunately. Thats because of living in Germany. But that doesn't mean anything. Even in Pakistan many pakistanis can't speak Urdu, because they never visited school. Especially in Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan. They speak only their mother tongues.

Exactly. You haven't done anything to promote Urdu in any manner. How then do you think you're in a position to criticize your country-men who've been using proper Urdu words?

Besides, has anyone suffered because you've been unable to speak it? Your good intent towards Pakistan is commendable, and that's all what really matters in the end. Don't try to act puritanical over such trivial issues as Urdu having a few Sanskritic words. Remember, each language has it's uniqueness. You mutilate it and it won't remain the same again.

OK, if I understand you right, you are saying that Urdu is weighted too much towards Punjab/Sindh and doesn't include Pakistan's western/northern ethnicities. That's a fair point and I would agree that we should incorporate more words from these under-represented groups in the language.

Well my suggestion is don't use english words in Urdu because most of them are not necessary in the first place.
English words which are necessary in Urdu can be replaced with words from pakistani mother tongues like pashto for example.
And such words as "Desi" should not be used. Because it is the wrong direction. Especially because Urdu must also include Western and Northern Pakistan and no foreigners.
That would be the first step in the right direction.
But unfortunately even that is a dream. In 100 years we will all speak English instead of Urdu as national language. And also our mother tongues like Pashto is also heavily influenced of English. If you watch for example Khyber TV.
Thats not good and unfortunate.

I don't see any problem in that. Does a German call you a German or a Pakistani and a foreigner?
You are from Pakistan. Thats your watan. And it always will be. No matter how bad the politics are.
Then go there and experience no electricity, pollution, dirty food, corruption, target killings, bomb blasts etc :lol:

South Asia is one big shithole. If I was living there I would try my hardest to get out on every moment.

i believe desi means local.

By desi they are probably referring to local Pakistanis,Not indians or bengali

Word desi covers both Indian and Pakistani, i dont think Banlga people use that term.
when someone refers to someone as desi it mean he is either from Pakistan or India.

foreget OP I know one Punjabi aunti and she was like naah oh indian nahee haigay oh tah gujrati ya.. lol

Then go there and experience no electricity, pollution, dirty food, corruption, target killings, bomb blasts etc :lol:

South Asia is one big shithole. If I was living there I would try my hardest to get out on every moment.
india is fine. many expats are returning and many are double minded and wanna go back.

india is fine. many expats are returning and many are double minded and wanna go back.
Yeah I've heard of people from Europe going back. But the point is, every country is good if you're rich :-)

If you're from working/middle class, Europe/Canada etc is easily the best place to live.

But it is still your watan (homeland). Wherever you are from, but sounds like you are not from Pakistan.

Exactly. You haven't done anything to promote Urdu in any manner. How then do you think you're in a position to criticize your country-men who've been using proper Urdu words?
Besides, has anyone suffered because you've been unable to speak it?

First of all Urdu is not the mother tongues of Pakistanis. It is lingua franca in Pakistan, the second language of Pakistanis.
Mother tongues are Pashto, Balochi, Punjabi, Sindhi and Kashmiri and all others and as National Language Urdu as second language.
I'm Pashtun/Kashmiri the word "desi" is unfamiliar among us. Thats no problem at all. And if it is used in Urdu, it should be removed because Urdu needs more to connect western and northern pakistan. And not foreign countries.
Even some Pakistanis can't speak Urdu IN Pakistan, because they never visited school, especially those in rural areas.

Well my suggestion is don't use english words in Urdu because most of them are not necessary in the first place.
English words which are necessary in Urdu can be replaced with words from pakistani mother tongues like pashto for example.
And such words as "Desi" should not be used. Because it is the wrong direction. Especially because Urdu must also include Western and Northern Pakistan and no foreigners.
That would be the first step in the right direction.
But unfortunately even that is a dream. In 100 years we will all speak English instead of Urdu as national language. And also our mother tongues like Pashto is also heavily influenced of English. If you watch for example Khyber TV.
Thats not good and unfortunate.

The problem is that Pakistani media is so pathetic. They hardly produce anything themselves. It's almost all foreign content.

Words can't be forcefully removed from languages, man. Besides, most Pakistanis don't even use that word, it's use is very limited. A lot of its use is associated with "brands" i.e. desi ghee or desi shakkar.

Languages evolve.

In fifty years, Pakistani Urdu will be very different from Lucknow Urdu.

Yes, languages evolve but what you said was aftificially modifying it. Anyway, I still find Pakistan Urdu has deviated, it has taken Punjabi slang form and there are many words your people don't pronounce properly.

Yes, languages evolve but what you said was aftificially modifying it. Anyway, I still find Pakistan Urdu has deviated, it has taken Punjabi slang form and there are many words your people don't pronounce properly.

Well Urdu is not our mother tongue. It is just National Language (second language).
If Urdu gets influced by our mother tongues and accents it is a good thing. I don't see anything wrong with it. It gets pakistani (influenced by pakistani languages).

Besides, has anyone suffered because you've been unable to speak it? Your good intent towards Pakistan is commendable, and that's all what really matters in the end. Don't try to act puritanical over such trivial issues as Urdu having a few Sanskritic words. Remember, each language has it's uniqueness. You mutilate it and it won't remain the same again.

You don't know, there is an extreme obsession in Pakistan to preserve the purity of Urdu from Indians although Urdu is native to UP in India. Also, Pakistanis will claim Urdu takes words freely from other languages but it shouldn't be Sanskrit. :omghaha::omghaha:

Language evolution is not always organic; sometimes it is driven by media campaigns.
There is nothing wrong with making Pakistani Urdu more inclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom