What's new

The word 'Bharati'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some Indians occasionally say they thought the term was insulting. But. mainly. I look at the context of when it is used by Pakistani posters. Usually it is thrown by the Pakistani at the Indian like an insult.

And my forum name is an accurate reflection of my motive in spending some of my time on this forum. I am interested in the truth of things and am interested it what various posters think is the truth. I HATE conspiracy "theories", however. Too many people are willing to believe in nefarious conspiracies for which there is no proof, whatsoever. To hold such faith in illogical and unproven conspiracies is rooted in a prejudicial worldview.

you are right.
My observations came up with similar results. Some people use the term Bharatis as an insult. Atleast their tone suggests that the intention was insult.
May be they think the word is Hindu or some thing... :rofl:

But I am not that sensitive and find the effort funny. At the worst it strikes my mind as a grammatical mistake.:lol:

So I agree with Truth Seeker.
Why spoil their fun?

Well India, Hindustan and Bharat are all synonyms. Even when you watch Indian news, the Indian anchors refer to their country as Bharat and if you watch Indian movies they refer to their country as Hindustan so Indian, Hindustani, and Bharati are all synonyms.

Well India, Hindustan and Bharat are all synonyms. Even when you watch Indian news, the Indian anchors refer to their country as Bharat and if you watch Indian movies they refer to their country as Hindustan so Indian, Hindustani, and Bharati are all synonyms.

I think it depends on the language. Spanish people call Indians as "Hindu" irrespective of religion. I don't like that word, but since Spaniards were one of the first people to call the subcontinent "India", I guess they have a right to that word. If a Spanish guy says Indian, they are referring to Native Americans!

The current Hindi usage for Indian is "Bharatiya". (Most common usage is Indian, even in private hindi news channels - Govt. TV strictly uses Bharatiya).

I take no offense with the term Bharti or Bharati if that is the correct Urdu term. It is just that none of us are used to that term and it sounds jarring.

But I think someone on the thread pointed out that Indian Navy has a site with URL of Nausena Bharti, so I am guessing the term is pretty old. Probably the British Navy used the Arab/Urdu conjugation for the term and Indian government used the Hindi/Sanskrit one.

^ Arabs call India, "Hind", and Indians, "Hindis", but I've seen in Indian media Indians calling their country Bharat and Hindustan many times especially when they speak in Hindi.

Most Pakistanis refer to India as Bharat and Indian people as Hindustanis because India for us was the British India empire, today's India is not the same British India and India was the name the British came up with for their empire so Bharat or Hindustan sounds more appropriate to describe "India".

Last edited:
Some usages related to the word Bharat for common use -

person living in India - Bharat vasi
of type Indian - Bharatiya - e.g. Indian Navy - Bhartiya Nāu Senā

Although I havent heard much the usage of word Bharati, I dont think it is an insult(just because someone feels like it should be) nor do I believe darkstar intended it to. While, there might be many other things that I would not agree with darkstar I dont believe he intended to use it as such and even if he did, it doesnt become one.

So no need to make a mountain out of a molehill

Well, this was an interesting discussion. I think Rubyjackass has the right take on it. Go ahead Pak(i)s, it's YOUR forum. Use Bharati if you like, we don't want to spoil your fun. By the way, I don't mind "Yank" or "Yankee" or "Gringo" or redneck or kuffar or even "stupid American". We are taught, from age 2 years old when the other kids call us names, "Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can never hurt you."

Well, this was an interesting discussion. I think Rubyjackass has the right take on it. Go ahead Pak(i)s, it's YOUR forum. Use Bharati if you like, we don't want to spoil your fun. By the way, I don't mind "Yank" or "Yankee" or "Gringo" or redneck or kuffar or even "stupid American". We are taught, from age 2 years old when the other kids call us names, "Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can never hurt you."

:)

You are right sir, i was just a bit ticked off because of the religious context of the word. Bharati is a Goddess's name.

I think when it comes to indians and pakistaniyas (sic, correct hindi term? :) ), indians would always be uncomfortable when it comes to religious contexts. This is because of the ideology (or lack of it) of the two nations.

Though excellent discussion everyone, and thanks Darkstar for the explanations. I did not think he ever used it insultingly, others did.

I'll let our Bharti Friends in on another secret, since THIS IS a DEFEnce FORUM.

What is the official name of the INdian navy?? Any guesses?

Drum roll....... roll....roll....nkkaara....nakkara...

Nausena BHARTI...

oh yes..and below is their official website.

Maybe the Bhartis on this forum should first petition their govt. to change the official name of the navy, before trying to drown us out by their ignorant voices...posts..

Nausena Bharti

This shows the extent of the knowledge of our esteemed Bharti posters...They do not even know the basics of their own military, yet want to lord it over us...

The ignorance displayed in this thread is astonishing...i'm gobsmacked.

sorry to correct you Darkstar, but the name of indian navy is Bhartiya Nausena.

The link you provided is their recruitment site - nausena bharti - bharti meaning 'recruitment'. (pronounced - bharti and not bhaarati)

does the word bharti mean recruitment in urdu too? don't know, but here it means recruitment and not indian.

The link you provided is their recruitment site - nausena bharti - bharti meaning 'recruitment'. (pronounced - bharti and not bhaarati)

does the word bharti mean recruitment in urdu too? don't know, but here it means recruitment and not indian.

Actually Bharatiya Nausena, not Bhartiya Nausena. The "a" after the "r" is important if you want to be faithful to the Devnagari original. (भारतीय)

Darkstar, I am impressed that as a Pakistani you took the trouble to learn Devanagari. I am curious, is Sanskrit taught in any Pakistani Universities?

believe me fateh i listen first time that bharat in insult.but your own songs and films use this word like

hamara bharat mahan

bharat warsh

bharat mata ki jai

Bharat means India. But Bharati doesn't mean Indian.

I'll let our Bharti Friends in on another secret, since THIS IS a DEFEnce FORUM.

What is the official name of the INdian navy?? Any guesses?

Drum roll....... roll....roll....nkkaara....nakkara...

Nausena BHARTI...

oh yes..and below is their official website.

Maybe the Bhartis on this forum should first petition their govt. to change the official name of the navy, before trying to drown us out by their ignorant voices...posts..

Nausena Bharti

This shows the extent of the knowledge of our esteemed Bharti posters...They do not even know the basics of their own military, yet want to lord it over us...

The ignorance displayed in this thread is astonishing...i'm gobsmacked.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Its the BIGGEST mistake so fa on this thread.

Well, this Bharati (bhartee) and that Bharati (bhaartee) are two different words.

though they LOOK same in English, they are different when written in Devnagari.

The title of this site is "Nausena Bharati" means "Admission/recruitment in Navy". :lol:

Last edited:

****! why didn't I think of that!!!:argh:

Well Rabbit Rabbit maybe you should present a case as to why we should prohibit the phrase/word then. I have not yet received any complaint notifications from Indian members regards this.

Well, I would like to see Pakistani members use "Bharatiya" to adress Indians.

As the word "Bharati" is a name of a Hindu Goddess, it feels a bit awkward.

This was never reported by anybody because we know this is the lack of knowledge and not intensionally done.

We can live with Bharti, but I guess it wont hurt others to use "Bhartiya"

Thank you!

why dont the pakistani members use indian instead of bharatiya/bharatis/hindustanis?
indian is short...and removes all the confusion.
but in my opinion...use any of the four but not hindu...i'd not want to be refered to as a 'hindu' but an indian...not that i hate my religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom