What's new

The word 'Bharati'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never knew Germany was called Almaniya in urdu.:cheers:

Yes it has been adapted from Allemagne...meaning the same
Just like Al Qahira (Cairo) and Al-Iskandariya (Alexandria)..

two important cities in Misr.....

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

Agreed, it depends on the intention of the person. Regular word's like "pakistani" and "indian" could be used as racial slurs, by pronouncing it in a diffrent manner.

For terrorist they use "muz" referring to muslims.

Yes westerners calls sometimes b l o o d y indians. (no offence meant)..

Bharti and Bharatiya is not much of a difference..just add an "ya" at the end..phonetically not tongue twisting at all

Possible that in Urdu Indians are Bhartis..no offence meant...

It is just that Bharti is also a Hindu female name...thats okay ...

Hindi and Urdu arent same anyways..

The difference between Bharat in "Bharat mata" and the male hindu name Bharat are phonetically quite different...

In Bharat Mata it is pronounced like Bh-aa-r-a-t ma-ta

In the name Bharat it is pronouunced like Bh-a-r-a-t...

Note the difference in temrs of emphasis on "a" as in Aamir in the former and "a" as in sadak (road)

Hope that declutters your mind...

LIsten mate, lay off the phonetic tutelage.

I know how the name Bharat is pronounced.

However, you have decided to ignore all the posts by Bharatis/Bharatiyas/Hindustani which have clarified the legitimacy of the word Bharti, and dcided to continue the discussion unilaterally.

As for Bharti Telecom, go to the website with the link I provided, it will tell you the reason for the name 'Bharti Telecom"...it is certainly got nothing to do with the surname or female name Bharti.

The same goes for the school website that I have given, just click and check out what they translate the word Bharti as.

You're flogging a dead horse, as this discussion has got most Pakistanis and Bharatiyas agreeing upon usage of the term.

Whats the big fuss regarding this??...,...i find pride in calling myself and being called a bharatiya......and thats all what matters.......and as ds pointed out,bharati airtel,does use the word 'bharati',to bring in the indian meaning and identity into it.......and when its used as a racial slur,i dont give a damn,as racists are always lowlife creatures,who try to demeanize others to prove himself superior,and that shows he is not sure and confident bout his superiority.........I AM A BHARATIYA and i dont give a damn how others see of it,as i am proud and confident bout what i am

Folks,

Let me provide a level set here which may not sound too pleasing to many here.

I have been following this thread for a while and am pretty amazed to see many of our friends from India take offense to the use of the word "Bharati".

The usage of the word is exactly in line with what DS has described. Nothing less than the Pakistani official news agencies use the word "Bharat" and "Bharati" to describe India and Indians in formal news broadcasts because it is a proper word in the Urdu language.

However since this gripe is being made on Defence.pk, I do want to raise something related. Most of the Indian members here are also members at BRF (I know this for a fact). However let me turn the tables and ask you, what has anyone done about the use of explicitly derogatory language used against Pakistan and Muslims there?

We are much more civil here and elsewhere when it comes to Indians, yet the primary Indian forum is filled with racist and bigoted BS about Pakistan all posted by supposedly educated, and some not so educated and informed, but rabidly anti-Pakistan NRI and local crowd. The point of raising this issue is a simple one. I have yet to see a single member at BRF complain about the use of such derogatory language toward Pakistan and Pakistanis (because the truth is that all of the misguided pun is at Pakistan's expense there and no less than an Indian member posted a link for me to prove my case, which is besides what I have been observing on my own since the 90s).

The fact is that not a single one of you, who enjoy membership here, worry about what is being said about Pakistan and Pakistanis on that forum even though most of you are regular members there. Some actually partake in that derogatory bashing against Pakistan as well. ;-)

So lets take things in their proper context here. I know for sure that Indians are not being wronged here. It would be nice for a change to see someone on the Indian side take ownership of this Pakistan-bashing at your most frequented and quoted forum and gather similar courage as demonstrated here to change things a bit at the so-called "pride of the Indian military forums". It is a two way street gentlemen and even at that, us Pakistanis have been much more generous.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
look my friend BHARATI is still better than HINDI...in the arab world all SOUTH ASIANS are called HINDI...i mean seriously it sounds so vulgar and wrong man!!!

so be happy with BHARATI...

many brf members had raised the issue including me... and jagan, rahul, considered it,
but the thing is as other mods endorse the same language, there's little one can do about it...

Just three things:

Firstly, some posts on this forum with the word "Bharati" have been offensive (later there were some retractions/clarifications and that was good). There is no harm in using a word to refer to one's nationality but one has ought to be careful with its connotation/undertone.

Secondly, this goes for the Pakistanis and Indians both, just because someone is derogatory doesn't mean one has to answer back in the same slight. Why stoop down to their level and get involved in the name-calling or jibes — rise up and set your own bar.

Thirdly, using the BRK card is not right. One forum should not tell users what to do on another forum. No matter how legit and rational your stance is, it should be the members' call as to what they want to voice their concerns about. Besides if they haven't taken the prerogative to do the same in the first place, why even ask them to.

Ends.

The whole purpose of starting this thread has kind of lost.

When I started this thread -

1. I did not mean that 'Bharati' is a derogatory word. I just said that it did not make any sense in the context.

2. I did not know that it is a legitimate word in Urdu & is kind of official in Pakistan.

But unfortunately, the discussion has taken a different route altogether & is causing some friction now.

The whole purpose of starting this thread has kind of lost.

When I started this thread -

1. I did not mean that 'Bharati' is a derogatory word. I just said that it did not make any sense in the context.

2. I did not know that it is a legitimate word in Urdu & is kind of official in Pakistan.

But unfortunately, the discussion has taken a different route altogether & is causing some friction now.
PFI gets it, now its time for everyone to get it too. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom