What's new

The word 'Bharati'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - Personally , i think pak i is a derrogatory term- to me, I would bash someone for callign me apak i . when used as racial slur -its much more aligned toward - terrorist and inferiority than to coutnry pakistan
But at the same time - when a friend chuckles and call me pak i its fine with me. its intention which matters - since its not a verb , it holds not stright meaning its a proper noun - which can be taken as a metaphor for racially abusive terms.
AT the same time it can be - simply wittingly used for calling,
It is CLOSE TO word - N1GGER.
------------------
bHARTI IS alright - if its been used in communication its more of a way to suggest a eprson of Indian origin,
But at the same time an intention can make it - racial slur too . just like pak i.

Well - Personally , i think pak i is a derrogatory term- to me, I would bash someone for callign me apak i . when used as racial slur -its much more aligned toward - terrorist and inferiority than to coutnry pakistan
But at the same time - when a friend chuckles and call me pak i its fine with me. its intention which matters - since its not a verb , it holds not stright meaning its a proper noun - which can be taken as a metaphor for racially abusive terms.
AT the same time it can be - simply wittingly used for calling,
It is CLOSE TO word - N1GGER.
------------------
bHARTI IS alright - if its been used in communication its more of a way to suggest a eprson of Indian origin,
But at the same time an intention can make it - racial slur too . just like pak i.

Agreed, it depends on the intention of the person. Regular word's like "pakistani" and "indian" could be used as racial slurs, by pronouncing it in a diffrent manner.

For terrorist they use "muz" referring to muslims.

yeh like russel peters says - These white buggers might - call us pak i or cur ry but they are friggin scared of us- i just call from my cell and talk in - hindi and these guys - are about to craap in their pants.

On a lighter note, Our NRI friends in England are doubly offended when name called by some racists. When they are called Pa ki, they are first offended by the racist slur, and secondly by the fact that they are bundled together with pakistanis..

I've even heard of portugese europeans being called pa ki, because of their black hair and darker looks...

Any Indian who could read the Urdu words here:
de6d3a639797896d5917c98cf58df220.jpg

What does it say?

So much for the incorrect Pakistani appellation hue and cry. It says Bhaarati for a reason. We simply don't have the schwa. No disrespect was meant anywhere.

Am I the only one here who thinks that this discussion is totally pointless??:undecided:

I dont think Bharti or Bharati is derogatory, but they seem a lil awkward, as Bharti/Bharati are names of Indian women.So is Bharat(pronounced as bh-arat,not bhaarat,the country),common name for Indian guys.
Bharatiya/Hindustani are losing their popularity.
I, proud to be an Indian/Hindustani/Bharatiya Nagrik!

"Bharati" is not at all derogatory. We are know as "Bharathi","Bharathiyan","Bharathiyar"... Its all depend on which region u belong. In south its commonly used "Bharathiyan"or"Bharathiyar" instead of "Bharathi". But the new generation prefer to be know as "Indians" rather than "Bharathi".

Bharti is 100% correct in Punjabi (Gurmukhi, Shahmukhi script), According to the 2008 Census of Pakistan, there are approximately 77 million native speakers of Punjabi in Pakistan.

Everyone prefer to use Indian now, inc. my grandmother :P.

Last edited:
i want be a entrepreneur. when i will open my own company , i will change my last name to BHARTI.
it will be RAJKUMAR BHARTI.
i am tired of this cast system or religious boundaries. i will be recognize as citizen of India is enough for me.:cool:

but it's not an offensive term like pak*..right?

Of course not..and I have heard the westerners mostly use this word in a derogatory tone....It is definitely a western invention !! Mostly the Brits...

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

I think Desi is very common word these days. We ourselves call us Desi when we are abroad.

And Sir, in the United States theres more unity amongst the desis..and that denotes all Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis.....and that was more prominent in the aftermath of 9-11. due to things like the mass detentions and special checks at the immigration and frsiking by officials ...all in the name of the Patriot Act...

Famous Bharatia company below calls itself bharti tele ventures, and claims the name is from the indian word for 'indian. I quote from the article below "
(The word Bharti came from the Hindi word for "Indian.")

Bharti Tele-Ventures Limited: Information from Answers.com

p.s. I think the company is now called Bharti Air Tel..or some such thing.

Famous Indian school in Dehradun is called, Manava Bharti India international school...

check out their website below...this society was created at the behest of non other than the Mahatma Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.

Manava Bharti : About us

I quote from this website below

do u want me to find more and more examples of people in Bharat calling themselves Bharti?

In none of the examples you have listed, for a single instance the use of the word "Bharati" does mean Bharat (The country)....

Bharati is a female name in India amongst the Hindus and it is in that perspective some have named their companies.

Here we are dealing with

What are people from India known as in Hindustani/Hindi

And that is Bharatiya...

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

IN Hindi, Bharatiya is more widely used, but in Urdu Bharti is used.

Open a Hindi dictionary, and if you do not find the word Bharti used for Indian, then I'll accept whatever punishment you advise.

This is true..

In India Bharat and Bharati are prevalent names to denote boys and girls ....but does not have anything to do with being Indian.

For the word "Indian" Bharatiya is the word

PTV News:

Pakistani faziyaa ne aj Bharti tayare ko maar geraya. :D

Its always been a music to my ears.

Well Sir....this is interesting...and I hope this continues to be the music to your ears as it has always been !!!!!

Aap to puri tayare ko maar girane ki baat karne lage ...ek do nahin ...

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Well most Pakistanis call Indians "Hindustanis" and you guys call yourself that so dont blame us, especially the older generation in Pakistan they would never refer your country as India...they would say Hindustan or Bharat because India was British empire that doesn't exist anymore for them and they lived during that time.

You guys call yourselves Hindustanis and your country Bharat so whats the problem???

Yes Omar what youre saying is flawless..only the aspect is an "Indian" is not "Bharti" in Hindi ....

It is always Bharatiya

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

What did you call your land before the British conquered the subcontinent?

Aryavrat, Al-Hind, Hindustan...are the names before the British...

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

Fateh brother- who said bharti is derogatory term in india? i know a girl named bharti , even sunil mittal's firm is bharti , its not derogatory term in india.

Hello theres no prblem with the name Bharti ...Indians are not Bhartis they are Bharatiyas

I think this is some not so hidden gender prejudice coming to the fore. It's not ok to be called by a name that happens to be a girl's name, while it is ok to call the country a boy's name, in Bharat?

Isn't Bharat Maata? Mother India? So what if the word Bharti has multiple uses ? Doesn't the word Bharat have mutliple meanings? As long as none of the meanings are offensive in essence, then what's the issue?

Urdu is one of the National Official Languages of Bharat, and Bharati is the proper term for someone of Bharat in the Urdu/Hindustani dialect. Why deprive us of using this word, because these days Urdu is seen as the language of a diminishing minority? There was a time, only a century ago, when most scholarship in Northern Bharat by Hindu and Sikh writers was in the Urdu language.

It seems that there are some who are hell bent on finding offense within this term, where none exists.

The word pa ki's offensive connotations came from its use in Britain starting in teh 60's and 70's, where it was usually followed up with a good thrashing on one of the housing estates that Pakistani/Bharati/Bangladeshi migrants were dumped in.

The word Bharti has no such negative connotation, except that people fed on a diet of the Hindi language find it a 'weird' term to use. Having listened to mostly Urdu news all my life, I find the word Bharatiya quite a mouthful, and not very pleasing to the ear in comparison to the word Bharti.

For those arguing abouts the term's offensive nature, I would request them to give some evidence of it's alleged offensiveness. Being the name of a God-consort is not offensive, in fact I would think it an honour.

Bharti and Bharatiya is not much of a difference..just add an "ya" at the end..phonetically not tongue twisting at all

Possible that in Urdu Indians are Bhartis..no offence meant...

It is just that Bharti is also a Hindu female name...thats okay ...

Hindi and Urdu arent same anyways..

The difference between Bharat in "Bharat mata" and the male hindu name Bharat are phonetically quite different...

In Bharat Mata it is pronounced like Bh-aa-r-a-t ma-ta

In the name Bharat it is pronouunced like Bh-a-r-a-t...

Note the difference in temrs of emphasis on "a" as in Aamir in the former and "a" as in sadak (road)

Hope that declutters your mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom