What's new

The word 'Bharati'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is some not so hidden gender prejudice coming to the fore. It's not ok to be called by a name that happens to be a girl's name, while it is ok to call the country a boy's name, in Bharat?

Isn't Bharat Maata? Mother India? So what if the word Bharti has multiple uses ? Doesn't the word Bharat have mutliple meanings? As long as none of the meanings are offensive in essence, then what's the issue?

Urdu is one of the National Official Languages of Bharat, and Bharati is the proper term for someone of Bharat in the Urdu/Hindustani dialect. Why deprive us of using this word, because these days Urdu is seen as the language of a diminishing minority? There was a time, only a century ago, when most scholarship in Northern Bharat by Hindu and Sikh writers was in the Urdu language.

It seems that there are some who are hell bent on finding offense within this term, where none exists.

The word pa ki's offensive connotations came from its use in Britain starting in teh 60's and 70's, where it was usually followed up with a good thrashing on one of the housing estates that Pakistani/Bharati/Bangladeshi migrants were dumped in.

The word Bharti has no such negative connotation, except that people fed on a diet of the Hindi language find it a 'weird' term to use. Having listened to mostly Urdu news all my life, I find the word Bharatiya quite a mouthful, and not very pleasing to the ear in comparison to the word Bharti.

For those arguing abouts the term's offensive nature, I would request them to give some evidence of it's alleged offensiveness. Being the name of a God-consort is not offensive, in fact I would think it an honour.

Last edited:
What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet and that which we call India/Bharat will always remain as dear to all Indians

-William Shakespeare & Skull

By the way my ex-girl friend was called Bharti.:pop:

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet and that which we call India/Bharat will always remain as dear to all Indians

As simple as that...

I completly disagree, Do not get me wrong, not regarding the Bharti, but "What's in the name?" is very important. Just try saying the N word to an African American, right. What's in a name?

Jeypore...You will have to submit to Screaming Skull...come on! its a skull...and a screaming one...scares the hell out of me:undecided:

I completly disagree, Do not get me wrong, not regarding the Bharti, but "What's in the name?" is very important. Just try saying the N word to an African American, right. What's in a name?

The n-word and the p-word have a historical context of being used as slurs, whereas Bhaarti does not, and is the proper word for residents of Bharat in Urdu, as Asim explained quite nicely above.

Do the Chinese call themselves 'Chinese' in Mandarin?

The n-word and the p-word have a historical context of being used as slurs, whereas Bhaarti does not, and is the proper word for residents of Bharat in Urdu, as Asim explained quite nicely above.

Do the Chinese call themselves 'Chinese' in Mandarin?

Mr. AM ji,

I am not complaining about the Word Bhaarti, I do not take any offense to it. But my argument is that "What is in a Name", and apparently some of the Indian members in the form find it offensive, so I just gave an example of the N word.

I think this is some not so hidden gender prejudice coming to the fore. It's not ok to be called by a name that happens to be a girl's name, while it is ok to call the country a boy's name, in Bharat?
:rofl: You are totally confused.
The country's name is pronounced 'Bhaarat'. Not Bharat.
Bharat is a boy's name. It is not ok to pronounce the country's name as Bharat with short 'a'. It should be 'Bhaarat' and that's a girl's name.
So its not gender problem here.

I have been around Urdu people but never heard 'Bharatis' as used for Indians. May be Daccani Urdu is different but.

Anyway I dont have any problems with it. My observation is that 'some' people use it in places suggestive of insult. But when it is no insult why take it as one?

My observation is that 'some' people use it in places suggestive of insult.

How exactly did these people 'suggest insult'?

Could you provide the relevant excerpts or give examples of why it would be suggestive of an insult?

:rofl: You are totally confused.
The country's name is pronounced 'Bhaarat'. Not Bharat.
Bharat is a boy's name. It is not ok to pronounce the country's name as Bharat with short 'a'. It should be 'Bhaarat' and that's a girl's name.
So its not gender problem here.

I have been around Urdu people but never heard 'Bharatis' as used for Indians. May be Daccani Urdu is different but.

Anyway I dont have any problems with it. My observation is that 'some' people use it in places suggestive of insult. But when it is no insult why take it as one?

I know the difference between Bharat and bhaarat...both words are from the same root meaning, and both have been used as names...although the more common name is pronounced Bhurut, rather than Bhaarat.

You don't need to be around urdu people, since this is a pakistani defence forum, and many of us are urdu speakers by our mother tongue, and we use the word Bharti in normal discourse.

I personally dont find it insulting but to let people know.
Indian Navy is Bharatiya Nausena.

Bharti in a sense implies India.
Bhartiya and Bhartiya Nagrik implies Indian.

Bharti just weird to hear-its a VERY common name for girls! lol.
Heck i didnt know Bharti also stands for a Godess as well!

PeacefulIndian, Sir!

It is very kind of you to try to educate the forum members here who use "Bharati". However, they are using this phrase because they think it is insulting; like Pak(i). So, don't spoil their fun.

Thats the first time i have heard calling someone "Bharati" is a insult.

After having read through the entire thread and having contributed to the discussion, I am still at a loss as to why the term Bharti is perceived as an insult by some members.

Yes, the usage of this term is not pervalent in Bharat today, yet even the word Bharat is itself not that widely used anymore, as opposed to Hindustan/India.

It's offensive nature has not been established, all that has been furnished are certain ambiguous references to some poster's 'intent', or an insult to the testosterone levels of male Bharatiyas who are loath to be given a common girl's name.

Our Bharti friends must understand the different dialects of the Urdu/Hindustani/Hindi languages. A chookri, bansuri, beti is also pronounced chokariya, bansuriya, bitiya...the same as Bharti is also pronounced Bharatiya....These are all nuances of the wonderful Hindustani languages of Hindi/Urdu, and just because the use of the word Bharti is not pervalent in Bharat anymore, doesn't mean it has somehow become offensive.

BTW, India is also a girl's given name in the west, so should we find another name for INdia too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom