What's new

The word 'Bharati'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually in URDU it IS bhaarti not meant as an insult.

Sophisticated Urdu speaking news channels would often refer to "Bhaarti khilari", (Indian players). I might be wrong and maybe there is a small aa added. Indian words/names are like that. To the casual listeners, theres no "aa" sound, but when Indians write the words down in transliteration they add the "aa".

Like the name Dharmendra, I always just called him Dharmindar, because thats what it sounds like the Indians are saying.

Last edited:
I think most people here have a wrong "take" on it.The way or tone in which the word "bharati" is used.The word Pak! ,yes it is offensive and is being used with an intention to insult.Since it is Pakistan..so the citizen would more appropriately be called a Pakistani...see...PA-KIS-TANI !
However..since it is Bharat..so naturally anyone would call a citizen "bharati" in the first place.But it has a different connotation than we usually undersrtand.Bharati is female.Its a female name in India(besides it may have the same meaning as PeacefullIndian explains).You can't call everyone after a girl.Bharatiya would be more appropriate.

Well, this was an interesting discussion. I think Rubyjackass has the right take on it. Go ahead Pak(i)s, it's YOUR forum. Use Bharati if you like, we don't want to spoil your fun. By the way, I don't mind "Yank" or "Yankee" or "Gringo" or redneck or kuffar or even "stupid American". We are taught, from age 2 years old when the other kids call us names, "Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can never hurt you."

Indians call their country Bharat in their news when they speak in Hindi. Do any american call their country yank?

Dadee Yankee.......Yeahhhhh!!!:D

oops! I've to rush!

Indians call their country Bharat in their news when they speak in Hindi. Do any american call their country yank?

Americans (and rest of the world) simply call Americans Americans, causing much confusion when there are Mexicans and South Americans around :-)

Americans (and rest of the world) simply call Americans Americans, causing much confusion when there are Mexicans and South Americans around :-)

Well most Pakistanis call Indians "Hindustanis" and you guys call yourself that so dont blame us, especially the older generation in Pakistan they would never refer your country as India...they would say Hindustan or Bharat because India was British empire that doesn't exist anymore for them and they lived during that time.

You guys call yourselves Hindustanis and your country Bharat so whats the problem???

You guys call yourselves Hindustanis and your country Bharat so whats the problem???

Not everybody speaks Hindi here you know. Tamilians speak Tamil and their word is Indian, though they have the word Bharatham for India. Same with Kerala, Karnataka and Telugu - Bharatiya(n) is considered extremely formal in south Indian languages where it exists. Bangla & North Eastern languages use Indian too

Well most Pakistanis call Indians "Hindustanis" and you guys call yourself that so dont blame us, especially the older generation in Pakistan they would never refer your country as India...they would say Hindustan or Bharat because India was British empire that doesn't exist anymore for them and they lived during that time.

Read the thread. its abt Bharati.

Bharat is fine.

And not calling india india because of partition is just ideological nonsense. an extension of which would be to call india napakistan. so spare us.

Last edited:
BHARTI - is noum actually - which can be used for name -
But liguistically specaking it just becme a metaphore - which means no derrogatory term to me, its all in your head - i was called pa ki , curry etc etc. but all in fun never took them serious.
so bharti being a noun is a open term it can be taken as derrogatory term or just a communicative term, its all how you take it champ.
Yank is a friggin derogatory term lol - go to down south and you know it.

Read the thread. its abt Bharati.

Bharat is fine.

And not calling india india because of partition is just ideological nonsense. an extension of which would be to call india napakistan. so spare us.

What did you call your land before the British conquered the subcontinent?

What did you call your land before the British conquered the subcontinent?

It was called Aaryavart.

India as continent was called that,
but later pre bristish time - india was not a country it was a contienent under many rulers.
Only Ashoka united this country once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom