What's new

The word 'Bharati'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you not read?

I believe I can read. Infact, I can even write! Surprising isn't it?

I have given you tonnes of examples of the word Bharti being used in Bharat, by Indians, ..for pete's sake the indian navy is called nau sena bharti..

I don't think you actually read my post. Perhaps you should check your own reading skills before questioning mine?

It is "bharatiya naari". "Bharati naari" is grammatically incorrect.

IN Hindi, Bharatiya is more widely used, but in Urdu Bharti is used.

Open a Hindi dictionary, and if you do not find the word Bharti used for Indian, then I'll accept whatever punishment you advise.

I believe I can read. Infact, I can even write! Surprising isn't it?

I don't think you actually read my post. Perhaps you should check your own reading skills before questioning mine?

I read your post. You simply repeated what had been said earlier in the thread. Yet you did not counter any of the proofs that I presented.

And your ludicrous argument that Bharti can be used to denote something 'of India' except a person has no basis in reality. Urdu speakers in both Bharat and Pakistan use the term

Just because some new age revisionists have decided that the word Bharti doesn't sound 'cool' anymore, doesn't mean that it is grammatically incorrect.

Last edited:
I still contend that you didn't read my post properly.

In any case, here's a dictionary for your satisfaction:

Indian adj भारतीय
h t tp : / / w w w . shabdkosh.com/en2hi/search.php?e=indian&f=0&p=0

(Yes that word is indeed "bharatiya", since you probably can't read devanagari script. Take my word for it and check out the link also to satisfy yourself)

Alhamdulillah, I do read devangiri...learnt it when I was 12, and even got an A in GCSE Hindi...so please do not make assumptions about people you do not know...

Secondly, I was thinking more of a proper HIndi-Hindi dictionary...not a simple online translator..as we all accept, that the word most commonly used in Hindi is Bharatiya..

Last edited:
Another dictionary:

भारतीय
भारतीय्
BArawIy 527729
[ 3] Indian []
N,MALE,ANIMT,FAUNA,MML,PRSN,Na
(A native or inhabitant of India)
[ H, 0, 0]
भारत वासी
भारत वास्
BArawa vAs 527730
[ 4] Indian []
N,M,ANIMT,FAUNA,MML,PRSN,NI
a native or inhabitant of India
Indians struggled against The English regime.
[ , 0, 0]

h t tp : / / w w w . cfilt.iitb.ac.in/~hdict/webinterface_user/dict_search_user.php

Alhamdulillah, I do read devangiri...do not make assumptions about people you do not know...

Well, that's surprising, but my assumption was hardly out of place considering that you are presumably from Pakistan and therefore never learnt devanagari script.

On the other hand, your contention that I cannot read is genuinely far-fetched.

Well, that's surprising, but my assumption was hardly out of place considering that you are presumably from Pakistan and therefore never learnt devanagari script.

On the other hand, your contention that I cannot read is genuinely far-fetched.

lol...it was said figuratively, since even an imbecile would know that someoen posting on a forum can obviously read...

I learnt Devangiri script from one of our relatives who was a headmistress of a school in Lahore, and originally from Lucknow.

It is true that most Pakistanis do not learn to read Hindi/Devangiri, unless it is out of interest.

I have seen "bharati" used as a demonym on occasion, but it seems to be rare and might be archaic. One cannot say because language keeps changing.

The standard term in most school textbooks is "bharatiya".

But all this is besides the point, which I think is that the usage by some people of this term on this forum is often derogatory.

In any case, its a minor issue, and frankly there's no need to make a fuss about it.

I have seen "bharati" used as a demonym on occasion, but it seems to be rare and might be archaic. One cannot say because language keeps changing.

The standard term in most school textbooks is "bharatiya".

But all this is besides the point, which I think is that the usage by some people of this term on this forum is often derogatory.

In any case, its a minor issue, and frankly there's no need to make a fuss about it.

The reason why I am defending use of the word Bharti, is because it is so pervalent in Urdu discourse in Pakistan, and it is used in a very respceftul manner. All newspapers, news bulletins on tv, even diplomats use the term Bharti when adressing 'Indians'.

No one has a clue that someone may find this offensive.

Offense is often to be seen in the tone of the person using the offensive word. There was a famous hotel in Lahore where it was written on a plaque outside that 'Dogs and INdians not allowed'. To some, even the word Indian was derogatory. Once Prince PHillip the Duke of Edinburgh remarked about a leak in the ceiling. "It must have been fixed by an Indian".

For other people, the term Pakistani is synonymous with terrorism and fanaticism, and can be used in an offensive manner...like someone from Bharat saying..."Pakistani saala..., or Pakistani sullar". The tone of the person expressing the word mostly determines whether it should be taken as offensive or not.

Last edited:

I am surprised how a brand new member can so authoritatively state that the term is used derogatively on this forum. Or did you create this id just to have a go on this issue? :P

I am surprised how a brand new member can so authoritatively state that the term is used derogatively on this forum. Or did you create this id just to have a go on this issue? :P

Guilty as charged. I did indeed create the id to have a go at this, but I do hope to stay beyond this particular issue.

Well Rabbit Rabbit maybe you should present a case as to why we should prohibit the phrase/word then. I have not yet received any complaint notifications from Indian members regards this.

Guilty as charged. I did indeed create the id to have a go at this, but I do hope to stay beyond this particular issue.

You're most welcome here to stay...You can introduce yourself in the new members introduction forum so that we can give you a proper welcome.

Well Rabbit Rabbit maybe you should present a case as to why we should prohibit the phrase/word then. I have not yet received any complaint notifications from Indian members regards this.

I don't think we need to prohibit it. After all as Darkstar pointed out, the word itself is used quite widely, even if it doesn't mean exactly the same thing.

What I've noticed, is that people tend to use "Bharati" instead of "Indian" in a negative context, thus giving the word itself a negative connotation over a period of time. This is of course further compounded by the fact that Bharati is usually not used as a demonym, and is a female (stri-ling) word, thus its usage might be perceived as robbing Indians of their "manhood".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom