What's new

The word 'Bharati'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr.Truthseeker whats up with your nick? and from where did you get this feeling that we are using "bharati" as a slang?? Please enlighten us...would you?

I have seen some Indians occasionally say they thought the term was insulting. But. mainly. I look at the context of when it is used by Pakistani posters. Usually it is thrown by the Pakistani at the Indian like an insult.

And my forum name is an accurate reflection of my motive in spending some of my time on this forum. I am interested in the truth of things and am interested it what various posters think is the truth. I HATE conspiracy "theories", however. Too many people are willing to believe in nefarious conspiracies for which there is no proof, whatsoever. To hold such faith in illogical and unproven conspiracies is rooted in a prejudicial worldview.

Bharti is not an offensive term at all. I have a few Indian friends and I call them Bharti awaam or Bharti bashinday all the time. If they aren't taking offence then why should anyone else?

PeacefulIndian, Sir!

It is very kind of you to try to educate the forum members here who use "Bharati". However, they are using this phrase because they think it is insulting; like Pak(i). So, don't spoil their fun.

No, TruthSeeker Sir!!

we don't think that to call bharati is insulting. and don't use it for fun

We use to say

bharati in urdu to a citizen of bharat

just like we say
cheeni (chines) in urdu to a citizen of cheen (china)

pakistani ----------- to a citizen of pakistan

it's a common custom here.

:pakistan:

Just on a lighter note.

I see many Pakistani users use the word 'Bharati' to describe 'Indian'. Actually, Bharati in Sanskrit means Language or Dialect. Has nothing to do with Bharat, the nation.

Bharatiya would be a better word to use!!!

i didn't know this.

i never use this word but when i talk some time we use this.bharat india hindustan these namse of 1 country which comes out i say.but if its wrong then we have to stop using its better.thanks peacefull bro for clear.

The word bharti means a goddess (goddess saraswati, the goddess of learning).

Indians NEVER use the term bharti to describe themselves, and yes its used on this forum when its meant to be an insult.

the word is indian, hindustani, bharatiya... most commonly used by 99% indians - is indians. i'd even written to mods to ban the word.

believe me fateh i listen first time that bharat in insult.but your own songs and films use this word like

hamara bharat mahan

bharat warsh

bharat mata ki jai

Indians NEVER use the term bharti to describe themselves, and yes its used on this forum when its meant to be an insult.

the word is indian, hindustani, bharatiya... most commonly used by 99% indians - is indians. i'd even written to mods to ban the word.

Just on a lighter note.

I see many Pakistani users use the word 'Bharati' to describe 'Indian'. Actually, Bharati in Sanskrit means Language or Dialect. Has nothing to do with Bharat, the nation.

Bharatiya would be a better word to use!!!

now temme which the real meaning :what:............. i am confused.:undecided:

one thing i want to mention that we pakistanis are not using the word bharati for insult. We don't know Sanskrit.

what we know is urdu.
We use this in urdu just to describe an Indian. Even this word is used urdu newspapers/ urdu news tv channels to describe indians.

Bharat...............Bharati or Bharti
Pakistan...........Pakistani
Iran..................Irani............. make sense to us because we are dealing with urdu, not with Hindi or Sanskrit.

:pakistan:

believe me fateh i listen first time that bharat in insult.but your own songs and films use this word like

hamara bharat mahan

bharat warsh

bharat mata ki jai

it's 'bout Bharati not Bharat :pop:

I'm probably the most guilty on this forum then.

It is not an insult, and I have never meant it as an insult.

IN urdu, Bharati is the correct word for describing someone from Bharat.

examples.

Hindustan...HIndustani

Pakistan...Pakistani

Ruus...Russi

Bengal..Bengali

Punjab...PUnjabi

Gujarat...Gujarati

Baloch...Balochi...

Sindh...Sindhi

Amreeka....Amreeki

Amristar....Amristari

Bhopal...Bhopali

Bihar...Bihari

Saudia....Saudee

Arabia...ARabee

Why is Bharat Bharatee so offensive?

I've heard a couple of people say, it is offesnsive, because it is also a female name...Well, Bharat is also a male name, so why isn't the word Bharat insulting?

I have never met anyone who uses the word Bharat or Bharati as an insult...have you?

Is Urdu not a national language of Bharat, then why are you stopping urdu speakers from using this word? Considering that even Hindu scholars who have written about Bharat in the Urdu language (much of norhtern indian literature of the late 18th and early 19th century was written in urdu) have also used the term Bharati.

Famous Bharatia company below calls itself bharti tele ventures, and claims the name is from the indian word for 'indian. I quote from the article below "
(The word Bharti came from the Hindi word for "Indian.")

Bharti Tele-Ventures Limited: Information from Answers.com

p.s. I think the company is now called Bharti Air Tel..or some such thing.

Famous Indian school in Dehradun is called, Manava Bharti India international school...

check out their website below...this society was created at the behest of non other than the Mahatma Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.

Manava Bharti : About us

I quote from this website below

The word ‘Manava’ literally means, ‘a being with a mind’ from the Sanskrit word ‘Manas’. It refers to a ‘thinking mind’ capable of making it’s own decisions. Education is nothing but the training, discipline and direction of this mind towards health, prosperity, growth and peace. A son of the soil of this land of Bharat would be Bharati. The Message of MANAVA BHARATI therefore, is to make every student a ‘Bharatiya’, a harbinger of happiness to humanity at large.

do u want me to find more and more examples of people in Bharat calling themselves Bharti?

Last edited:
I'll let our Bharti Friends in on another secret, since THIS IS a DEFEnce FORUM.

What is the official name of the INdian navy?? Any guesses?

Drum roll....... roll....roll....nkkaara....nakkara...

Nausena BHARTI...

oh yes..and below is their official website.

Maybe the Bhartis on this forum should first petition their govt. to change the official name of the navy, before trying to drown us out by their ignorant voices...posts..

Nausena Bharti

This shows the extent of the knowledge of our esteemed Bharti posters...They do not even know the basics of their own military, yet want to lord it over us...

The ignorance displayed in this thread is astonishing...i'm gobsmacked.

The correct demonym is "Bharatiya".

As far as I know, "Bharati" is sometimes used when it means "of India", but rarely used for "Indian" as a person.

The most widely accepted usage is as a girl's name.

However, the use of the word on this forum is generally derogatory, as evidenced by the tone and context.

Last edited:
The correct demonym is "Bharatiya".

As far as I know, "Bharati" is sometimes used when it means "of India", but rarely used for "Indian".

The most widely accepted usage is as a girl's name.

However, the use of this word on this forum is generally derogatory, as evidenced by the tone and context.

Can you not read?

I have given you tonnes of examples of the word Bharti being used in Bharat, by Indians, ..for pete's sake the indian navy is called nau sena bharti..

What mroe do you want?

So what if bharti is a girls name? bharat is also a boy's name? or are girls inferiour, or their names derogatory? Bharti is also a famous family name, it is also the name of a Goddess....Hell, I'd be proud to be associated with the Goddess Saraswati, one of who's names is Bharti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom