What's new

RAND report on China US Military Balance

LOL @ the Americans. The US - China military scorecard... Just the name of this report.

Pure rubbish. China like the US has massive eavesdropping capability. China has invested billions in satellites and other communication infrastructure. Of course it may lag compared to the US, but to claim that China's capabilities are limited is like acting like an ostrich.

Last edited:
Sorry, but after just a few minutes of "look-thru" ... what a strange report: They are comparing YJ-81 armed Q-5 in 1996 with J-16 loaded with YJ-62 in 2017 !

Neither was the Q-5 able to use the YJ-81, nor is there an air-launched YJ-62, which is in fact a coastal-defence ASM.

Deino

Sorry, but after just a few minutes of "look-thru" ... what a strange report: They are comparing YJ-81 armed Q-5 in 1996 with J-16 loaded with YJ-62 in 2017 !

Neither was the Q-5 able to use the YJ-81, nor is there an air-launched YJ-62, which is in fact a coastal-defence ASM.

Deino

In other words, the report is full of inaccuracies. Thanks for pointing that out. Well, not to be taken seriously as far as I'm concerned.

Yes ! ... but I think I need to take a closer look.

Deino

Deino

That's a stupid error by RAND, "think tank" aren't they?

Yes ! ... but I think I need to take a closer look.
Deino

That will be very useful, let's have a more accurate assessment, thanks bro!

I see what u did there....

+looks+like+a+hybrid+of+voldemort+and+i+see+_722ff27e0149f0745a54108eab11b746.jpg
:lol:

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR300/RR392/RAND_RR392.pdf

One of the interesting points that the Rand report makes is that China has limited capability of surveillance beyond its shores.

How do you respond?

I respond with a 2011 news article.

------------------------------------------

July 11, 2011 11:00 pm

China’s ‘eye-in-the-sky’ nears par with US

By Simon Rabinovitch in Beijing

China’s rapidly expanding satellite programme could alter power dynamics in Asia and reduce the US military’s scope for operations in the region, according to new research.

Chinese reconnaissance satellites can now monitor targets for up to six hours a day, the World Security Institute, a Washington think-tank, has concluded in a new report. The People’s Liberation Army, which could only manage three hours of daily coverage just 18 months ago, is now nearly on a par with the US military in its ability to monitor fixed targets, according to the findings.

“Starting from almost no live surveillance capability 10 years ago, today the PLA has likely equalled the US’s ability to observe targets from space for some real-time operations,” two of the institute’s China researchers, Eric Hagt and Matthew Durnin, write in the Journal of Strategic Studies.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cf83817a-abaa-11e0-8a64-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3lvSQ9xsX

Another interesting tidbit of information from the RAND report is that China has deployed OTH radar since 2007 with 2,000 km range.
oth radar 1.JPG

Also note the location of the OTH radar.
oth radar 2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom