What's new

US eyes Port Blair as new drone base

I have been predicting that India will open up its bases to US military. And this day is coming.

But lets be serious, its dangerous to base the 5th fleet in Persian gulf. India is a more suitable location. Which Indian naval port should be the home base of the 5th fleet?

Its likely that all of India would beg for America to station troops there, just like Japan, Germany, and England. Its just natural for America to have bases at English speaking countries.

Your comprehension is rather weak, in fact it has been found severely wanting. Alas none of us, least of all me, can remedy this misfortune of yours. The Rand corporation states that America should have a base at Port Blair..NOT that India has offered one. Other than that your opinion is invalid given your pusillanimous record for engaging in lack wit posts.

You got it wrong, man. China is taken over by the communist. Taiwan represents free China. In the future, Taiwan would play a major role in bringing democracy back to China.
I know the history of China don't teach me...all I wanted to imply was that since PRC is not controlled or controlling Taiwan since 1949 and Taiwan has US bases since 1949...how can you term that PRC has US bases

If US have drones in Port Blair, it would not be to protect India. But to monitor some waterway.

Like Orion hunter said, do not use sentimental high horse to make this decision, but use logic.
I am not sentimental here...even if it is not for protection of India...foreign troops, bases or assets will never be allowed on Indian soil...period....and that is the final truth.....

i dnt think so ...because russia is a big ally of india and they will also not tolerate it...and i dnt think that indian govermnt will allow this on their territory...:no:

You realize that they just cooked up a scenario where we hand over Indian sovereign territory to them for a drone base? Have they confused us with Pakistan, damn it all brown people don't act alike! :pissed:

There are none,Andaman Nicobar Islands is India's most strategic asset that will help us keep a close watch of Strait of Malacca.There is no way we are gonna share it with anyone.

I'm always confused when people who should know better start spewing standard rhetoric better left to dim wit politicians to make. This is a military forum & such a question should be debated on merits. I, for one, don't see any harm in giving the U.S. access to the bases in the Andaman & Nicobar islands. It is giving access, not handing over a base. The comparison with Pakistan is silly because the intended targets are not in India. However there is no such thing as a free lunch. We can give the U.S. access but only if we get something in return, that something being of good value for us. To behave otherwise would be to be cussed when not required to.

I am not sentimental here...even if it is not for protection of India...foreign troops, bases or assets will never be allowed on Indian soil...period....and that is the final truth.....

USAF was based in India 1962-1963 and in the late 40's early 50's - so never say never. I don't think there is official US interest in Port Blair and I don't think India will permit drone operations from its territory unless India is in desperate need of assistance.

i dnt think so ...because russia is a big ally of india and they will also not tolerate it...and i dnt think that indian govermnt will allow this on their territory...:no:

The real reason is the Indian people and political parties will never accept any foreign troops getting access or bases on Indian soil. Participating in Russia and America rivalry is not of our business.

You a Gannicus fan? :)

Correct mate. Although Russia has lost much of its significance..the real clincher here is our domestic politics. Any party which provides a foreign power a base on Indian territory will lose its mandate and get eaten raw by the opposition and the people...democracy zindabad! :yay:

I'm always confused when people who should know better start spewing standard rhetoric better left to dim wit politicians to make. This is a military forum & such a question should be debated on merits. I, for one, don't see any harm in giving the U.S. access to the bases in the Andaman & Nicobar islands. It is giving access, not handing over a base. The comparison with Pakistan is silly because the intended targets are not in India. However there is no such thing as a free lunch. We can give the U.S. access but only if we get something in return, that something being of good value for us. To behave otherwise would be to be cussed when not required to.

And what will they give us yaara? Whatever we need we can buy from them beyond that we know exactly how accommodating they are to even their allies..oh yes the targets are not in India but what do we gain from it? Lets see the posters clearly thrash out what we MAY gain from such an action.

Do you actually see a US base in India benifiting India? My feelings is that the problems will out weigh the returns.

USAF was based in India 1962-1963 and in the late 40's early 50's - so never say never. I don't think there is official US interest in Port Blair and I don't think India will permit drone operations from its territory unless India is in desperate need of assistance.

I dont think they had a base in 62-63. They only flew from the Charbatia base to himalayas to monitor chinese movements and fix some equipements.

As i said if china doesn't create a situation where we are forced into choosing a side,then we will choose usa.Otherwise we prefer to be outside of the new 'great game'.Problem is chinese continously poking and provoking.

USAF was never based in India post independence...are you talking of the CIA bases that were set up to train tibetan independence fighters in India and Nepal

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

President Obama would be well advised to slap his chief of staffs if they come to him with such a suggestion and they in turn to knock some sense into the fools at Rand.

When the day comes that India becomes a part of the USA then they can have a drone base in Port Blair..till that day..hands off!

I think your view at best can be said to idiotic... there has been talks in chinese circle for decades that they need to teach India a final lesson... granted today's India's not 1962's India... but china too is not 1962's china... they have been building network across Tibetean plain for decades now....

We need all the help we can get to defend against chinese ....

Yes it unlikely India will allow USA to use port blair... but the idea may hv some merit...

I think your view at best can be said to idiotic... there has been talks in chinese circle for decades that they need to teach India a final lesson... granted today's India's not 1962's India... but china too is not 1962's china... they have been building network across Tibetean plain for decades now....

We need all the help we can get to defend against chinese ....

Yes it unlikely India will allow USA to use port blair... but the idea may hv some merit...

Think very clearly. The Americans are not in the habit of vacating any region where they get a toe-hold in leave alone a foothold.

We have survived for 70 years without anyone coming down to save us, we can do the same for a very long time. There are many ways to see China become amenable but give a base to the US on sovereign Indian territory, I didn't get the memo where we'd changed the name of our nation to Pakistan.

Do you actually see a US base in India benifiting India? My feelings is that the problems will out weigh the returns.

I simply don't know but I would like us to see the offer before we make our decision. There is nothing that needs an all purpose, all scenario No.

And what will they give us yaara? Whatever we need we can buy from them beyond that we know exactly how accommodating they are to even their allies..oh yes the targets are not in India but what do we gain from it? Lets see the posters clearly thrash out what we MAY gain from such an action.

No gain, no do. Simple. My point is that we should examine the issue before deciding one way or the other. If we get something that benefits us in return, I see no reason why it cannot be considered. We need to see the proposal first.

USAF was never based in India post independence...are you talking of the CIA bases that were set up to train tibetan independence fighters in India and Nepal

An entire USAF squadron of C-130(40th Airlift "Screaming Eagles") was redeployed from France and based in in Delhi for urgent resupply and medivac of Indian troops fighting the Chinese in 1962.
The deployment lasted a year.

In 1962, the 40th took part in another little publicized, but highly critical mission, airlift operations in the Sino-Indian War. On 21 November 1962, twelve C-130s departed France on a mass deployment to New Delhi, India. The deployed to support the Indian government in its defense against an invasion by Communist China. All of the aircraft arrived in New Delhi on 23 November, twenty-four hours ahead of schedule. When China invaded India, the Indian Air Force’s Russian-built transports proved incapable of carrying troops and equipment into the high altitude Himalayan airfields. The 40th’s A-model C-130s easily handled the altitude, and quickly carried all of the Indian reinforcements and equipment into the area. During the first eleven days, the twelve crews carried over five hundred tons of supplies and over 5000 troops for a total of 203 sorties without an aborted launch. The mission was originally to last only a few months, but as usual, stretched out for over a year. The Indian government later stated that the efforts of the American C-130s prevented the Chinese from gaining any advantage after their initial invasion.

40th Airlift Squadron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.rediff.com/news/special/...he-us-came-to-indias-aid-in-1962/20121204.htm

Back
Top Bottom