What's new

US eyes Port Blair as new drone base

That is not true. US troops does not have diplomatic immunity outside of the bases. US troops are under the local jurisdiction if commit a crime.

Thanks for this but I still believe it is not the case. Anyways, i will study this matter and get back to this page.

Have a nice day FFG :)

Cheers

Do the Chinese worry when they assist the Pakistanis? I see no reason for India to offer up a courtesy not being offered to it in return.

No they dont and thats precisely where we assist Vietnam and its mutual. But this may blow little out of proportion and will put us directly in the line of Japan visa viz China. To be honest Japanese have more upperhand than us while dealing wiwth China and our military might and morale is not upto the mark yet to confront Chinese at that level.

No they dont and thats precisely where we assist Vietnam and its mutual. But this may blow little out of proportion and will put us directly in the line of Japan visa viz China. To be honest Japanese have more upperhand than us while dealing wiwth China and our military might and morale is not upto the mark yet to confront Chinese at that level.

That is why we weigh up the positives (what we stand to gain, what U.S. is offering etc) and the negatives & make that decision. If India were getting a substantial benefit, I personally would not be opposed to an agreement with the U.S. I'm not as bothered about the Chinese reacting angrily, we have already got a taste without such a provocation. See the Chinese reaction to our PM's visit to Japan. More lectures but they want us to accept their "enviable" friendship with Pakistan, about time they were made to accept our "enviable" friendship with Japan, U.S. etc.

That is why we weigh up the positives (what we stand to gain, what U.S. is offering etc) and the negatives & make that decision. If India were getting a substantial benefit, I personally would not be opposed to an agreement with the U.S. I'm not as bothered about the Chinese reacting angrily, we have already got a taste without such a provocation. See the Chinese reaction to our PM's visit to Japan. More lectures but they want us to accept their "enviable" friendship with Pakistan, about time they were made to accept our "enviable" friendship with Japan, U.S. etc.

I will agree upon that underlined part. and I agree with your idead of weighing the pros and cons on the table before etaking a decision.
But only thing that the negotiator has to keep in mind that US is quite oppertunist and this manier time leads to arm twisting. and god forbid we should not get into a situation where a surevellience drone base will eventually grow out to be an airbase.

I guess it all depends on whats being discussed and who is discussing it.

To all US fanboys, hollywood infected kiddos and American @** lickers:

This will not happen.
Its against the policies of the GOI.

And even if a Union Government wants to do such BS, it won be able to do it because of the oppositions resistance.

Imagine the political turmoil from countless groups within India.

To all US fanboys, hollywood infected kiddos and American @** lickers:

This will not happen.
Its against the policies of the GOI.

And even if a Union Government wants to do such BS, it won be able to do it because of the oppositions resistance.

Imagine the political turmoil from countless groups within India.

What's with the anti-US propaganda? That went out of vogue years ago.We allow Singapore to train continuously on Indian soil, do you see any protests? This is not about offering a base, it is about allowing the use of the base under certain conditions. The funny thing is that if the U.S. were to actually come to an agreement with India, it won't be advertised. Not like people will have access to remote air bases in Nicobar.:lol:

There will be political chaos in India, but then what are the benefits.

I don't see much

India isn't that paranoid yet about Chinese naval activities.

One must study the situation of U-2 spyplane taking off from Pakistan during cold-war as a case study to weigh the pros and cons.

I doubt India will agree to this though.

Think very clearly. The Americans are not in the habit of vacating any region where they get a toe-hold in leave alone a foothold.

We have survived for 70 years without anyone coming down to save us, we can do the same for a very long time. There are many ways to see China become amenable but give a base to the US on sovereign Indian territory, I didn't get the memo where we'd changed the name of our nation to Pakistan.

It is not about India becoming pakistan... what i am trying to say is just because we have not looked at certain things in the past doesnot mean that we have to shoot down ideas without giving thought... It will need careful study of feasibility, pros and cons of such a move.. but door should not be closed down just for the sake of it...

Also remeber in 1971, it was soviet union that stood between India and US,China led force.. if not 4 them then may be outcome would have been different. Even in Mahabharat, Lord krishna had asked arjun to visit the entire Indian landscape to form alliances against kaurav to prepare for the war that was coming...

It would be foolhardy, to do things alone... Alliances cannot be a bad thing if enough thought is given .... that is all i am saying...

It is not about India becoming pakistan... what i am trying to say is just because we have not looked at certain things in the past doesnot mean that we have to shoot down ideas without giving thought... It will need careful study of feasibility, pros and cons of such a move.. but door should not be closed down just for the sake of it...

Also remeber in 1971, it was soviet union that stood between India and US,China led force.. if not then may be outcome would have been different. Even in Mahabharat, Lord krishna ha asked arjun to visit the entire Indian landscape to form alliances against kaurav to prepare for the war that was coming...

It would be foolhardy, to do things alone... Alliances cannot be a bad thing if enough thought is given .... that is all i am saying...

Alliances are not bad..but alliances can also be made without handing over bases. One is not the sine qua non for the other to occur. That's all I am saying man.

One must study the situation of U-2 spyplane taking off from Pakistan during cold-war as a case study to weigh the pros and cons.

I doubt India will agree to this though.

I think a lot of members here have forgotten how during Iraq War I, US bombers sought to use Indian soil for technical stops (from Guam and onwards to Iraq). How the government of India was then riled by the opposition and citizens alike.

Not saying it was right or wrong. A nation must use options to its best advantage :)

Alliances are not bad..but alliances can also be made without handing over bases. One is not the sine qua non for the other to occur. That's all I am saying man.

US is not asking India to hand over any base. But US is asking to land drone on a base. Its not handing over of any territory.

I think a lot of members here have forgotten how during Iraq War I, US bombers sought to use Indian soil for technical stops (from Guam and onwards to Iraq). How the government of India was then riled by the opposition and citizens alike.

Not saying it was right or wrong. A nation must use options to its best advantage :)

The likelihood of US troops in India is becoming more and more real day by day. I would bet that India will join the western alliance with ten years.

Back
Top Bottom