What's new

Pak girl gets fresh lease of life in Indian hospital

xTra

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: It's a rebirth for 16-year-old Pakistani girl Madiha Tariq Sheikh, who feels India is her "own country" where she underwent a successful liver transplant surgery.

Madiha, who hails from Lahore, was flown to India on February 3 after she slipped into coma due to acute liver failure and underwent a liver transplant surgery at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital here.

"This is my own country (India)...It has been four months now and I am missing my school. Inshallah, I will return home next week," Madiha told reporters here.

Her brother Rizwan had donated a part of his liver to save her.

Incidentally, she is the 350th Pakistani to have undergone liver transplant at the hospital. In all, Apollo Transplant Programme has performed 1,252 liver transplants in children and adults from 27 countries in the past 15 years.

Madiha was discharged on March 6 but was staying in India for further check-ups.

"We are very happy my sister has recovered and it has been great coming here (to India). We have already shared stories of tremendous support we got here to our people back home," said Rizwan.

But what seems like a fairy tale now was initially a very tough road, Group Medical Director of Apollo Hospitals Anupam Sibal said.

"We sent our air ambulance with a group of doctors to lift Madiha from Lahore, you know how tough it is to get the visas and other formalities completed between the two countries. Again in India you have to take government authorisation before carrying out a transplant.

"But thankfully, authorities on both sides were very supportive and we got everything done in time. People in the External Affairs Ministry were very helpful," said Sibal.

Madiha had developed Hepatitis in January. After her condition deteriorated, she was flown to India on February 2 and operated upon on the next day.

"It took a team of 18 doctors, two operation theatres, five units of platelets, 10 units of plasma and 18 hours to perform the two surgeries simultaneously," Prof Subash Gupta, Chief Liver Transplant Surgeon of Apollo Hospitals, said.

Link : Pak girl gets fresh lease of life in Indian hospital - The Times of India

Glad she's fine now.

Incidentally, one can get such transplants in Pakistan now however cost is higher than it would be there and in this exceptional case indian govt authorized her quietly in without making politics out of it.

They made profit and we got the girl back healthy and sound.

Good share. We have to do more also to eradicate this hepatitis problem. Jaundice (not sure if it A or B or which one) took away my aunts life tragically.

I actually don't get the purpose of such thread.

Doctors dont think about nationalities /beliefs/castes of patients before doing any treatment

But thanks to Indian doctors for saving Pakistani life

Very true.

I really believe we should discard nationalities when we talk about health and service to humanity; masking a nationalistic discourse 'feels like her own country', '350th Pakistani' and so on over the health of the girl makes the article reek with ulterior motives.

I actually don't get the purpose of such thread.

Doctors dont think about nationalities /beliefs/castes of patients before doing any treatment

But thanks to Indian doctors for saving Pakistani life

Yes please close this thread it has broken all rules of forum. And ban op for opening such thread. . Where r mods.. sleep ing ?

Dont you know the simple reason for these posts?
Pakistani's consider or considered Pakistan to be equal to India for the longest time. Indians now have an innate desire now to prove that Pakistani's have to come to India.

This itch will subside in a few years time.

Pakistani's consider or considered Pakistan to be equal to India for the longest time. Indians now have an innate desire now to prove that Pakistani's have to come to India.

Purpose of such topics is feeling good factor for some insecure souls :D equal in what sense? Populations? poverty? Doctors to patients ratio? medical facilities ?

If some Pakistani patients visit India for medical treatment because its less expensive as compare to western countries don't make India superior in everything .does it?

Yeah man, I'm so ready to tear away my passport for this!

An Indian doctor has brought my father's eyesight back. Don't get me wrong... It is one hell of a CBM, but its not like I'm about to stop arguing for my national POV. Personal and National should not mix, nor should personal kindness be forgotten for national unkindness.

good she got treatment

some idiots trying to make pak vs india out of this...

to all those idiots my message is that the last destination anyone would go to for medical treatment would be india. unfortunately this poor girl had no choice

Purpose of such topics is feeling good factor for some insecure souls :D equal in what sense? Populations? poverty? Doctors to patients ratio? medical facilities ?

If some Pakistani patients visit India for medical treatment because its less expensive as compare to western countries don't make India superior in everything .does it?

It is a big deal if you look at it from the point that Pakistan is India's biggest enemy. Though I agree with you on the point that doctors can't look at nationality, caste or colour.

good she got treatment

some idiots trying to make pak vs india out of this...

to all those idiots my message is that the last destination anyone would go to for medical treatment would be india. unfortunately this poor girl had no choice

And my answer to an idiot like you would be 'the last thing an Indian doctor would do is treat p'eople' like you but glad we could treat the poor girl.

It is a big deal if you look at it from the point that Pakistan is India's biggest enemy. Though I agree with you on the point that doctors can't look at nationality, caste or colour.

Pakistan is biggest enemy of India but when enemy nations can play games against each others. When singers of enemy country can sing love songs for each others then what make it big deals if they serve humanity with medical treatments

I don't know about you but I don't consider all Indians as enemy but only those who keep unnecessary hatred/enmity in their hearts for my beliefs and for my people

Back
Top Bottom