What's new

Operation Rah-e-Nijat (South Waziristan)

Hakeemullah ‘ridicules’ retreating Taliban

DERA ISMAIL KHAN: Do not look for excuses to run away from the fighting, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakeemullah Mehsud told his fighters on Thursday. “Remember, this is the commandment of God that once fighting starts with the enemy, you cannot leave the battlefield without permission from your commander,” he told the Taliban in a speech, broadcast on Tuesday over a wireless radio network. Those who do run away, he warned, “such people will go to hell.” “We are in jihad and we should not pay heed to the whispers of Satan,” Mehsud said.

ap

tactical retreat eh!!!

Mullen urges sustained relationship with Pakistan

WASHINGTON: Admiral Mike Mullen, US military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, has called for fostering a sustained relationship with Pakistan, saying Washington has an obligation to the security of the region it abandoned two decades ago. Mullen appreciated Islamabad’s response to terrorism, adding the Pakistani leadership, military and its people recognised the terrorist threat. Speaking at the National Press Club, he acknowledged that Pakistan had deployed 30,000 troops against Taliban in South Waziristan but also underlined the toughness of the challenge there. “It’s a very tough fight; they are going into the heart of enemy territory. I think it’s going to continue to be tough, but he (Army chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani), and the leadership, clearly recognise the seriousness of the situation.”

app

taimikhan, you've displayed a superbly nuanced grasp of strategic depth in EXACTLY the correct posture as it relates to Afghanistan. You are correct to assume, for instance, that retreating into Afghanistan were you to face open conventional war in your east would be difficult and, likely, a slaughter.

Your heavy weapons and armor would be channelized and possibly destroyed by Indian airpower as they attempted to pull back. That is how most understand "strategic depth".

Not you, though. Congratulations...sincerely so as it's about DENYING the western flank to India where true strategic depth in the Pakistani context resides.

Hopefully someone can educate certain Indians and American bloggers too about what "strategic depth" really means in the Pakistani context.

DERA ISMAIL KHAN: Do not look for excuses to run away from the fighting, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakeemullah Mehsud told his fighters on Thursday. “Remember, this is the commandment of God that once fighting starts with the enemy, you cannot leave the battlefield without permission from your commander,” he told the Taliban in a speech, broadcast on Tuesday over a wireless radio network. Those who do run away, he warned, “such people will go to hell.” “We are in jihad and we should not pay heed to the whispers of Satan,” Mehsud said.

ap

tactical retreat eh!!!

:rofl::rofl: and few days ago they were saying we will defeat Pakistan Army..My salute to all soldiers.:cheers: Teach them a lesson they will never forget.:pakistan:

Security forces enter into Makeen
Updated at: 1245 PST, Friday, November 06, 2009

Security forces enter into Makeen WANA: Security forces have entered into Hakimullah Mehsud’s stronghold Makeen during ongoing operation against militants in South Waziristan.

According to sources, forces have successfully entered into Makeen area, a stronghold of Hakimullah Mehsud. Five hideouts have been destroyed whereas two militants killed in the action.

At least 11 militants have been killed and eight injured during operation in Ladha, Makeen and Sararogha areas.

Fighter jets, gunship helicopters and heavy artillery pounding militants positions. Nine militants were killed and eight wounded in the action. Militants are fleeing to North Waziristan, Kurram Agency and Orakzai Agency because of operation.

Meanwhile, security has beefed up in Kurram Agency and Pak-Afghan border has been sealed for three days.

No 467/2009-ISPR Dated: November 6, 2009
Rawalpindi - November 6, 2009:

1. South Waziristan - Operation Rah-e-Nijat

a. Today security forces have moved into the Town of Makeen, which is considered as Base Headquarters of terrorists.

b. In last 24 hours, 24 terrorists have been killed while 1 was apprehended.

Details of operations are as follows:-

(1) On Jandola – Sararogha Axis

(a) Security forces are consolidating and strengthening their positions around Sararogha. Search and clearance operations are continuing.

(b) Terrorists fired 4 rockets at Sararogha. During encounter 3 terrorists were killed.

(2) On Shakai – Kaniguram Axis

(a) Security forces are consolidating their positions in and around Ladha and conducting search and clearance operations.

(b) During search operation in Bangai Khel, Totai Langar Khel and Kot Langar Khel and huge quantity of arms and ammunition have been recovered and apprehended 1 suspect.

(c) Terrorists fired at position of security forces at Ghunai Gur. The fire raid was effectively responded. No loss reported.

(3) On Razmak- Makeen Axis

(a) Today security forces have entered Makeen. A large part of town has been cleared. In remaining part search and clearance operation is continuing.

(b) Important road and track junction of Makeen-Ladha-Sararogha and road junction Makeen-Ghariom-Sararogha have been blocked.

(c) The house of Baitullah Mehsud has been raised to ground.

(d) Intense engagements are taking place and terrorists are fleeing leaving behind their weapons and ammunition. So far 21 terrorists have been killed in Makeen area.

2. Swat – Malakand – Operation Rah-e-Rast

a. At Mingora a Burqa clad woman was followed and arrested by Police. She was carrying 1 x Small Machine Gun with two magazines and ammunition.

b. Security force conducted search operation at Shakardara, Bashkhela and apprehended 2 terrorists and recovered cache of arms and ammunition.

c. 3 terrorists voluntarily surrendered themselves to security forces around Mingora.

3. Relief Activities

a. Army free medical camp established at Wanna and Shakai form 2 November 2009 to 6 November. Number of patients have been treated and provided free medicines.

b. Local popular appreciated the effort of Army Doctors and Para Medics.

c. 7,922 cash cards have been distributed amongst the displaced families of Waziristan.

The Task ahead
Dawn Editorial
Friday, 06 Nov, 2009

While the first phase of the operation against what was supposed to be a redoubtable enemy in South Waziristan is apparently almost over, equally daunting tasks lie ahead. The tactics adopted by the army high command have beaten the Taliban on their own ground — descend from the ridges, command the heights and do not advance via roads. Four months of planning, with close coordination between the army and the air arm, has paid off, with many Taliban strongholds taken. The arms the militants left behind betray a flight in panic rather than a tactical withdrawal.

Nevertheless, it is an enemy that has been subdued, not vanquished. Before operation Rah-i-Najat was launched, the army put the Taliban strength at about 10,000. Since the maximum number of Taliban fatalities has been put at about 500, those not taken prisoner may have slipped into North Waziristan or the adjoining settled districts. They must be pursued relentlessly without being given a chance to reorganise, and the nation ought to be told what strategy the authorities have up their sleeve to finish the job.

Civil administration must now move into South Waziristan to prepare the groundwork for an eventual return to normal life. The agency has been virtually depopulated, and tribesmen wanting to return home will hesitate to do so because of the fear of a Taliban re-entry and backlash. It is thus the army’s responsibility to give the people a sense of security and establish a long-term presence in South Waziristan.

The military has done well to rehabilitate its image with victories over the Taliban in Swat and initial success of the ongoing operation. The army has all but recovered from the body blow suffered during the Musharraf era. It is now incumbent on politicians to provide high profile leadership that is in sync with the harsh reality of war. If they fail to do so, and the military continues to look good in comparison, the civil leadership will only undermine itself.

Another editorial with similar sentiment from The News:
End in sight?​

Friday, November 06, 2009
Surprisingly quickly troops seem to have completed a rout of militants in South Waziristan. According to reports coming out from the area, most key towns have been taken including those considered key militant strongholds. The second phase of the operation, in which hamlets and smaller outposts controlled by the Taliban are to be seized to consolidate gains in the tribal agency, is due to begin. On the surface at least there appears to be cause for celebration. Almost all military experts and analysts, prior to the launch of the operation, had predicted a long, hard battle in South Waziristan. Indeed some insiders say that even army officers have been surprised by the pace of the victory. Certainly prior experience in the area had been quite different, with soldiers struggling to assert themselves over the Taliban. It is possible the split within the organization and the talks that have persuaded key tribal factions to go against the men of Hakimullah Mehsud and Waliur Rehman have had a positive impact.

But there have also been words of warning. Some suggest the lack of resistance put up by the militants is a tactic. That rather than taking on determined troops in South Waziristan, they have deliberately withdrawn to the mountains and to the more treacherous terrain of regions that include North Waziristan, hoping to draw in forces to an arena more suited to guerrilla war. Others suggest key leaders have re-located to Balochistan, to Karachi, to southern Punjab and other places, making plans to keep up their battle from there. We continue to hope of course that the gains in South Waziristan mark a genuine end to Taliban control over the area and that they will result in a decline in terrorism and the instability it creates. But we must also be mentally prepared for the possibility that a longer, tougher fight still lies ahead. It is also important to think beyond military strategy. The Pakistan army has performed the task assigned to it heroically. We all owe it appreciation. It is time now for the government to demonstrate what it is capable of by announcing a plan of action for the future of FATA and the people there. Unless this happens, the victory being anticipated now could be rendered meaningless, with a new generation of militants rising to take the place of those who, we all hope, now stand defeated.

End in sight?

The editorials in the major papers are pushing a similar line - 'The Military is doing its job very well and it is time the political leadership stepped up and started delivering on the what they were elected to do'.

That the Zardari government just got handed its third major defeat (on the NRO, after defeats on the restoration of the judiciary and dismissal of the Punjab government, plus all the flak over the KLL) is being played up non-stop, as is the perception that the President, who rarely ventures out from his 'Presidential bunker' is completely disconnected from Pakistanis and the political, economic and security situation, and focused only on how to retain his power.

There is nothing subjective in condemning Zardari and pointing out how he is unfit as a leader - a man who dismissed the constitutionally elected government in a province held by the largest opposition party, wanted the police and Army to open fire on peaceful protesters, reneged on his own promises to restore a (according to Zardari as well) 'unconstitutionally sacked judiciary', cannot be described as anything but power hungry and with no care for the nation.

Why is he even in Pakistan? Why is he bothering to lead the PPP and the country? It is obviously not for 'democracy' or the rule of law since his own actions have served to do nothing but undermine both of them. His children are overseas, he lives a life huddled in the Presidential palace - I mean, what's the deal here?

i think his time is coming near. We can see that gilani is slowly getting more and more confident and i think eventually he is the one who is going to take over. I think before he does that zardari is going to put up a very hard fight and for the sake of pakistan i hope he fails.

"i don't have the perception about PA getting slaughtered, the main reason that for any possible strategic depth to occur you need either assets already in place or have such a huge infrastructure that you can move your heavy equipment..."

I do, and it's nothing about bravery or the technical skill of your air force. It's all about long columns of armor and other vehicles dragging themselves through very few mountain passes.

Any army would find this a great challenge during a retrograde, were the intent of your forces to retreat into the depths of Afghanistan. Even one IAF aircraft might be sufficient to block a pass altogether. If so, what follows is obvious to any professional.

BTW, roads that facilitate heavy vehicle traffic through mountain passes qualify as part of a nat'l infrastructure.

In any case, that's not what the meaning of "strategic depth" entails in this instance-as you've lucidly pointed out.

Waziristan IDPs continue to arrive in DIK, Tank
DI KHAN: The migration of displaced persons to Dera Ismail Khan and Tank from conflict-affected South Wazristan continues while arrangements have been made to commence classes for women in arts centre from tomorrow.

Free treatments have so far been provided to over 3,000 affectees at central relief camp.

The educational activities for children of IDPs are being undertaken in DI Khan and Tank while technical education is being imparted to over 300 persons in technical centre set up in Dera Sports Stadium.

"i don't have the perception about PA getting slaughtered, the main reason that for any possible strategic depth to occur you need either assets already in place or have such a huge infrastructure that you can move your heavy equipment..."

I do, and it's nothing about bravery or the technical skill of your air force. It's all about long columns of armor and other vehicles dragging themselves through very few mountain passes.

Any army would find this a great challenge during a retrograde, were the intent of your forces to retreat into the depths of Afghanistan. Even one IAF aircraft might be sufficient to block a pass altogether. If so, what follows is obvious to any professional.

BTW, roads that facilitate heavy vehicle traffic through mountain passes qualify as part of a nat'l infrastructure.

In any case, that's not what the meaning of "strategic depth" entails in this instance-as you've lucidly pointed out.

Sir, sorry to be saying this with no personal intent, but sometimes arguments given by you are too far away from the bulls eye, it don't seems to be coming from a MP.

First of all, why the hell will PA move its long line of armor and vehicles to a country which has no infrastructure to support such an army ?? Aren't we you taking the Strategic depth concept toooooooooooooooooooo far ?? A country has no road infrastructure, no air bases, no oil depot facilities, and so many other infrastructure shortages. You being ex-army guy know very well how much difficult it is to move even a small army of few thousand men for hundreds of miles. Lets suppose if PA did take all these things over the border, where are they gonna fight ?? With whom ?? By that time India would have done its work, why will they be coming to Afghanistan to fight PA. A very ridiculous thought that PA will move its armor and vehicles to Afghanistan, but it won't be to fight but to get the equipment all rusty.

And Sir, if PA is moving through some mountain pass, And Indian aircraft zooming in and destroying one vehicle after another and slaughtering the soldiers like the highway of death in 1st GW, is ridiculous too. Do you think PA would be dick less or what ?? When are we gonna use the hundreds of Stringers, or the Anzas or other Chinese MANPADS, or the AA guns ??

And as for the PAF thing i mentioned, it was just a theory of may be, one lets suppose kind of scenario as in 1965 war, i think PAF aircraft used Iranian airspace and even landed on Iranian airbases to get refueled as per my limited knowledge, hope someone can back this fact too. So in that context said it, but highly improbable, as Afghanistan has no air force related infrastructure too.

So end result is that we can't move PA there nor PAF aircrafts can use Afghan territory.

I hope we end this discussion with the understanding that the Strategic Depth concept shown by so many members on this forum is not what it seems, but the understanding that we came up in one of the previous posts, just to have a safer and non threatening western flank. We can not use Afghanistan as a Strategic Depth, until that country has resources and infrastructure & permission to support what Pakistan asks incase some scenario of such dire importance arises, which hopefully would never come.

thx for your time and opinions.

Why would we need Afghanistan for that?Balcohistan is far away from INdian border and we can build remote bases there but what the **** are we are going to save armor for?TO give it to india after they break the P unjab border lol..S-2 obviously continue to amuse us.

What is the status of Fazlullah? Last I heard, he had been surrounded by SSG units, but since then he has disappeared from the news. It leads one to speculate that he has either been killed, captured or has died from injuries unbeknownst to the military.

Also, what is the latest regarding the whereabouts of Hakimullah, Hussain, Faqir Muhammad and other senior commanders currently fighting the Army in SWA?

taimikhan,

"sometimes arguments given by you are too far away from the bulls eye, it don't seems to be coming from a MP..."

I mentioned the typical way in which strategic depth is considered- a place upon which one might retreat. Agreed? To that end, were you to do so with Afghanistan, your forces would present a very target-rich field as you try to traverse their mountain passes into Afghanistan.

It called channelizing.

When that occurs, bad things happen.

You became offended by the notion that your forces might be "slaughtered" by the IAF under such a condition. Sorry that I chose such an offensive word to your sensibilities but that wouldn't change the example of how channelizing might affect your forces (or any force) for that matter during a retrograde operation into strategic depths.

"if PA is moving through some mountain pass, And Indian aircraft zooming in and destroying one vehicle after another and slaughtering the soldiers like the highway of death in 1st GW, is ridiculous too. Do you think PA would be dick less or what ?? When are we gonna use the hundreds of Stringers, or the Anzas or other Chinese MANPADS, or the AA guns ??"

Point proved by your reaction here. "dick less"? You'd best be perfect in your ADA coverage otherwise just ONE vehicle hit and destroyed by ONE aircraft might be sufficient to create serious issues.

"Afghanistan has no air force related infrastructure too."

Gee whiz! Thanks for letting me know. I suppose jets are landing on sand in Mazur-I-Sharif, Bagram, Kabul, and Kandahar? Correct me if wrong, PLEASE?:lol:

"I hope we end this discussion with the understanding that the Strategic Depth concept shown by so many members on this forum is not what it seems..."

Never say never. I concur with your assessment about strategic depth but it's somewhat flawed if based upon infrastructure as SOME infrastructure DOES exist in Afghanistan. Were circumstances sufficiently dire, anything beats NOTHING every day of the week.

I'm done. Thanks.

Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakeemullah Mehsud told his fighters on Thursday. “Remember, this is the commandment of God that once fighting starts with the enemy, you cannot leave the battlefield without permission from your commander,”

Those who do run away, he warned, “such people will go to hell.”

Isnt his statement shirk? Besides, when did Allah SWT assign him as commander to wage war on a Muslim country.

Is this a joke? Because I can't help but point in their direction and laugh at them.

I'm being honest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom