What's new

Naswar Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have been reading alot of research papers have started my literature review and done 1 part of the lab work with is the basic for the rest...am doing 2nd part of the basic...

You see am supposed to build a molecular map of my crop and then from there narrow in on the gene of interest...To make the map alone, I have to get the markers, test them and run them on 2 populations of 200 plants each! Soo, 1 population done am doing the next population...It is kind of slow because some of the work is done by the sequencers who are ALWAYS busy because everyone gives their works there for genotyping...
Damn.....its really frustrating, I get it. :D

Are there no journals with theoretical publication with proposals ? Have you asked your prof. for this ? Piche pad jaao uske. :D

Prepare a good synopsis of your research work or that project and contact any professor who work in this field. there are two ways to get a Masters or PhD admission.

One is directly applying to the University, one is to find a professor in foreign university , contact him, tell him about your credentials and why you want to pursue a degree under him and attach your CV and any research work you have done.

Also ask your college professor to tell you any contact they have in other universities. Its a very good approach.

Then when you apply to univ. you can specify why you want to study in that university and under whom. It drastically increases your chances.

Hmmm...ok,right now what i am thinking is to do msc first!i talked to my organic teacher and he also suggested me to do projects WHILE STUDYING MSC

Well, I have been to UK Uni...I advice you not to go to them...They are more for money than for proper research...Esp masters students are not given much importance...Either a BSc or a PhD is given importance while a masters student is just in the way!

For European unis, prof work in a network, so yes like @KRAIT said ask any of your RELIABLE professors

Approach the ones who have common interest as you and ask them if they know ANYONE in the work YOU are interested in...

Usually applying to any lab, check their publications, if the last publication is older than 5 years, do not apply there..chances are that lab is either having a tough time finding funding hence, you might not learn much except the BASIC techniques and will waste your time...

Those labs which have good funding sources are recent publications are the ones to target!

And make sure you are not all a book worm and ACTUALLY know what you are talking about! RATTAFICATION will not work!

And confidence and a 5 year plan after studies are 2 IMPORTANT things which professors look for!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn.....its really frustrating, I get it. :D

Are there no journals with theoretical publication with proposals ? Have you asked your prof. for this ? Piche pad jaao uske. :D

What do you mean by this:
theoretical publication with proposals

Work for publication even if its a conference one.

Hahaha...I started my PhD in Sept! Am not very far behind...As they say its my honeymoon year and I am already on track...Just need to work a bit more...Actually was asking my supervisor to let me work in on weekends and he is like not yet...

Well, I have been reading alot of research papers have started my literature review and done 1 part of the lab work with is the basic for the rest...am doing 2nd part of the basic...

You see am supposed to build a molecular map of my crop and then from there narrow in on the gene of interest...To make the map alone, I have to get the markers, test them and run them on 2 populations of 200 plants each! Soo, 1 population done am doing the next population...It is kind of slow because some of the work is done by the sequencers who are ALWAYS busy because everyone gives their works there for genotyping...

Well Talon you really need a lot of patience,congrats for completing your 1 population tylon!how much time is left for your second population for mapping?

About 96% of all my colleagues landed in their PhDs because their prof knew the one they are working with now! I was shocked at this high percentage of network! I mean almost all of them 96% came in because their prof from their MSc was either friends or a collaborator with their now supervisors!

I found the same case in UK and also in Sweden and Germany!! So yes networking is important!

Well Talon you really need a lot of patience,congrats for completing your 1 population tylon!how much time is left for your second population for mapping?

BY March I should have both mapped and joined the map and doing genotyping by sequencing on a sister population!

After which I want to go to Finland to do some transformations!! I am looking fwd to it!

What do you mean by this:
Hahaha...I started my PhD in Sept! Am not very far behind...As they say its my honeymoon year and I am already on track...Just need to work a bit more...Actually was asking my supervisor to let me work in on weekends and he is like not yet...
:D

I mean like in my case, if we can't get a data, we generally propose theoretical frame work and may use other's data with proper referencing to put new theory. You can validate your new theory by using data of others and can show how your method is much better.

See, I had to work on simulations and solving too many mathematical equations, but in the mean time I read few research papers and find that I can give a better approach, I tell my prof. that this is the problem, I am working on this subject but it will take time due non-availability of lab or anything, he can guide you on another topic calling it secondary work .

Another way is collaborating with other student, just one partner, so that you can get publication number increased.

Like two juniors used to work with me, I focused on one project with all the work, while with them we used to divide the work as all have similar field. He may not solve or simulate one thing, so its better to cut the time and work together. This helps in a way that you become a co-author.

So, I will get my own publication for my work which will go in my thesis, but they will also get their publication which will go in their thesis but since I also worked in it, my name as co-author will be there. So in my CV I have 1 paper as main author and 2 as co-author.

Sorry if you felt offended.

:) Dedicated to Krait, Talon.

Everyone else... if there is anyone else. :D
That is left... i mean after Armstrong gone and marshmallow gone. :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
About 96% of all my colleagues landed in their PhDs because their prof knew the one they are working with now! I was shocked at this high percentage of network! I mean almost all of them 96% came in because their prof from their MSc was either friends or a collaborator with their now supervisors!
I found the same case in UK and also in Sweden and Germany!! So yes networking is important!
BY March I should have both mapped and joined the map and doing genotyping by sequencing on a sister population!
After which I want to go to Finland to do some transformations!! I am looking fwd to it!
Oye, if you find difficult to get lab, why don't you ask your prof. to send you at some internship. As you said you want to go to Finland, apply where you can have more research facilities.

Damn!! Missed posting on the 1000 page!! :(
Bwahahaha, Armstrong and Marshmallow took a long leave from PDF.

:D

I mean like in my case, if we can't get a data, we generally propose theoretical frame work and may use other's data with proper referencing to put new theory. You can validate your new theory by using data of others and can show how your method is much better.

See, I had to work on simulations and solving too many mathematical equations, but in the mean time I read few research papers and find that I can give a better approach, I tell my prof. that this is the problem, I am working on this subject but it will take time due non-availability of lab or anything, he can guide you on another topic calling it secondary work .

Another way is collaborating with other student, just one partner, so that you can get publication number increased.

Like two juniors used to work with me, I focused on one project with all the work, while with them we used to divide the work as all have similar field. He may not solve or simulate one thing, so its better to cut the time and work together. This helps in a way that you become a co-author.

So, I will get my own publication for my work which will go in my thesis, but they will also get their publication which will go in their thesis but since I also worked in it, my name as co-author will be there. So in my CV I have 1 paper as main author and 2 as co-author.

Nope, there isn't too much to go on...Surely not enough to make a publication! Most of the publications and data are concise and people usually work on annual crops as Arabidopsis is easy to work on BUT it is an annual crop...I am working on Perennial crop...

Plus I am not interested in reporting something that is already in papers...In Europe it is taken very lightly and wont land in a good journal! I do not want to waste my time on that! In fact for BSc students doing that is like the last straw and many prof avoid it!

Plus I have 2 and a half years to produce 3 papers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom