What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

this REK has cep of about 20m. don't you think it is bit bigger then it should be. jdam has cep of 3 to 7 meters while Turkish system has cep of 6 meters

I am myself astonished with the CEP. It should be lesser. But it may be sufficient for large area targets. For smaller targets it needs to have a 5m CEP. May be with passage of time they improve it.

I am myself astonished with the CEP. It should be lesser. But it may be sufficient for large area targets. For smaller targets it needs to have a 5m CEP. May be with passage of time they improve it.
lets hope they do because 20m for a 500 pound bomb mean its useless for close air support too we might hurt our own soldiers

Last edited:
lets hope they do because 20m for a 500 pound bomb mean its useless for close air support too we might hurt our own soldiers
I an thinking if they would ever use the REK for CAS? I believe it is not meant for that.

I guess it is about protecting the plane and launching 2 or 4 bombs you increase the chance of destroying the target.

Here http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA329188 are some damage distances by target and by munition class:

kill probability.JPG
radar.JPG
truck.JPG
truck.JPG

Going by the data on this brochure: 26kPa at 22m, which is 3.8psi, at 20m with a 250kg class bomb, you will get shuttered glass and bleeding ears.

26 kpa at 22m which is 3.8psi.jpg
psi for various damage.JPG

Also will like too add that the CEP of 20-30mtrs provided may be for the non GPS / satellite guidance mode. You launch the bomb and when it reaches the designated area due to jamming it may not get the satellite feed thus relying on its INS it may achieve a 20-30mtr CEP and if it has non stop satellite guidance then its CEP might be much less.

So for advertising basis they would have given the max CEP figure so to not give wrong figures.

However, read below links and it will give you a good idea that how GPS guided bombs work and why the REK gives a 20-30mtrs CEP.

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-GPS-Guided-Weps.html
http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-JDAMPt1.html
http://www.csr.utexas.edu/texas_pwv/midterm/gabor/gps.html

Give a reading to Signals related parts:

"The Course-Acquisition (C/A) code, sometimes called the Standard Positioning Service (SPS)". Chinese / Pak made kits may be using this signal from GPS satellites due to which they have higher CEP as they would not be allowed to used the Precise Positioning Service (PPS).

"The GPS system provides two navigational services, the military Precise Positioning Service (PPS), and the civilian Standard Positioning Service (SPS). PPS provides nominally 17.8 m horizontal accuracy, 27.7 m vertical accuracy and time accurate to 100 nanoseconds. SPS provides nominally 100 m horizontal accuracy, 156 m vertical accuracy and time accurate to 167 nanoseconds, and is available to civilian users. The degraded accuracy results from the use of Selective Availability. In practice, achieved accuracy can significantly better the nominal figures."

The GPS system provides two navigational services, the military Precise Positioning Service (PPS), and the civilian Standard Positioning Service (SPS). PPS provides nominally 17.8 m horizontal accuracy, 27.7 m vertical accuracy and time accurate to 100 nanoseconds. SPS provides nominally 100 m horizontal accuracy, 156 m vertical accuracy and time accurate to 167 nanoseconds, and is available to civilian users. The degraded accuracy results from the use of Selective Availability. In practice, achieved accuracy can significantly better the nominal figures
wasn't this discrimination was ended by bill Clinton after the advent of gps disruption technology.
i will give these articles a read.thanks for sharing

MK83 REK

Attachments

• 1471404154594.jpg
    1471404154594.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

@Quwa

Since they have put it in the brochure now, I think I feel comfortable sharing this.

View attachment 325671

Well thank you both but isn't it Mk-83? I think it was one of the first weapon systems to become operation with our JF-17s so what is new? Or is it because of REK on the bomb in this picture?

By the way, it looks like those 1000 pounder on the outer most wing station/hard point! That is promising!! Tells you something about those wing root extensions and the improved wing loading capacity. Those multiple ejector rails might be around the corner now!

Last edited:
Well thank you both but isn't it Mk-83? I think it was one of the first weapon systems to become operation with our JF-17s so what is new? Or is it because of REK on the bomb in this picture?

By the way, it looks like those 1000 pounder on the outer most wing station/hard point! That is promising!! Tells you something about those wing root extensions and the improved wing loading capacity. Those multiple ejector rails might be around the corner now!
It is only a matter of time!! The potential of JFT to grow further is immense and we need to utilize it to the max.
A

Well thank you both but isn't it Mk-83? I think it was one of the first weapon systems to become operation with our JF-17s so what is new? Or is it because of REK on the bomb in this picture?!
Yes you are right the picture is supposed to show the REK.

Honestly, I am confused a little now. At first I thought it was the Mk-83 but now I am looking at the tail section and it might be adding a fair bit of length so it might just be a Mk-82. Perhaps someone with a better eye for this kind of thing can identify it better.

You are right it is the outer pylon and this is a block-1 JF-17.

Back
Top Bottom