What's new

JF-17 Thunder - Information Pool

But how you arrived at conclusion that they are JF - 17 blk 2? Are any changes visible?

Because the First Batch/Block is completed as even confirmed by PAF officials.

The above pictures are just 3 days older,So the one after the first 50 were meant to be Block 2 or Batch 2.

They are still in the assembly line and look at the one on the right it seems like the work has just recently started.And we all know the only external change visible will be IFR.

what we can assume from the pics is that the assembly of Block 2 has begun for real unlike the older speculations

I have extracted these from a report by a student who was at Kamra on placement in 2010. $1.4m for the radar and $3m total for avionics.

The report is here: Visit Report

rhF9Q.jpg

dzEla.jpg

lE5wy.jpg

oCMdE.jpg

I was thinking that $1.4m too low, but I found this from 2007. APG-68 (V)9 Radars for Pakistan’s F-16s (updated)
Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems in Linthicum Heights, MD received a $99.5 million firm-fixed-price contract for “government furnished property for the Government of Pakistan” under the F-16 Block 50/52 new aircraft and modernization program. “The procurement of 54 AN/APG-68 (V)9 Radar Systems will be accomplished under the firm-fixed-price portion of the contract.”
So the AN/APG-68 (V)9 was costing $1.842m in 2007.

Also: Northrop Grumman Logs $87.8M Foreign Military Sale Contract for APG-68(V)9 Radars - G3 Defence

08:29 GMT, June 21, 2012 BALTIMORE | Northrop Grumman Corporation has received an $87.8 million foreign military sales (FMS) contract to provide the APG-68(V)9 airborne fire control radar to Thailand, Iraq and Oman for use on F-16 fighter aircraft.
The company will deliver six radar systems to the Royal Thai Air Force, 22 radar systems to the Iraqi air force and 15 radar systems to the Royal Air Force of Oman, for a total of 43 systems. Deliveries are expected to be completed by March 2015. The FMS contract is managed by the Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
That means at the moment the APG-68 costs $2.042m. I expected this to be much higher, to be around $4m.

The KLJ-7 will be about 70% the cost of the APG-68.[/QUOTE]

via Tempest II

dfJJL.jpg
pyjNv.jpg
uNily.png
s1yrB.jpg
XiLVnz0.png

JF-17 production with China’s support

Pak contribution rises to 70pc in avionics

Mian Saifur Rehman

December 3, 2013

The Pakistani security apparatus and allied engineers not only produced the JF-17 Thunder prototype in a record period of two-and-a-half years as against a period of 8-9 years taken in the advanced world on the first model of a combat aircraft, they have also taken the Pakistani contribution in the avionics’ preparation to the optimum level of 70 per cent of the Pak-China joint endeavour and to a satisfactory figure of 58 per cent in the preparation of other essential components.

Talking to The News, Pakistani functionaries who had been working in commanding positions in the manufacture of the JF-17 Thunder disclosed that China’s cooperation has been efficiently reciprocated by Pakistani engineers and technicians whose talent has been acknowledged by Chinese scientists.

Given the high level of this talent, the JF-17 Thunder aircraft can be easily compared even with some highly efficient blocks/models of F-16 especially in the area of avionics. Avionics in fact has enabled the JF-17 planes to acquire considerable airpower edge over the adversary’s aircraft.

And in the area of acceleration forces that enable the aircraft to overcome the gravitational pull, JF-17 is a G-8 plane as compared with F-16 that is a G-9 plane (G denotes acceleration force applied against the Gravitational pull to lift the aircraft). In this manner, JF-17 is no less capable and efficient an aircraft than many advanced planes of the world.

While the credit for accomplishing this excellence goes primarily to the Chinese friends, the role of Pakistani engineers, technicians and officials has been equally remarkable as also acknowledged by the Chinese company Avic (China Aviation Import-Export Corporation).

One of the prime factors that provided fresh impetus to JF-17 co-production was the frequent visits of senior functionaries of PAF to different parts of the world to procure international specifications, including those matching with first-class American aviation standards that are rated as the best standards. It was due to these exclusive efforts of PAF seniors or their frequent visits to countries having soft corner for Pakistan that a G-8 aircraft was produced.

As for the difference between G-8 and G-9, that is only due to metallurgy in use of both China and Pakistan. According to sources, producing a G-8 aircraft was not an easy task too. For this purpose the PAF seniors also sought the technical assistance of experts of a Middle Eastern country that is not much friendly with Pakistan. That diplomatic overture of PAF did work well and the aircraft with many capabilities no less than most of the modern warplanes of the contemporary world came into production within a record, brief period of two to two-and-half years.

Chinese friends are happy over the vigorous input of Pakistani engineers and functionaries that they say has resulted in a big success of international level with export orders expected from many countries. Appreciation has been especially expressed for Pakistanis’ fine diplomacy and specification-collecting skills.

When The News posed a question what hope the people of Pakistan should pin on its pride co-production, JF-17 Thunder, the sources replied: “It is now one of the best and most reliable combat planes of the world as, apart from the G-8 versus G-9 factor, its radar range is 60 aeronautical miles which comes on a par with advanced international standards. Moreover, JF-17 is equipped with a far more advanced BVR system i.e. Beyond Visual Range system that gives it an edge over the enemy aircraft which it can hit from a considerable distance and move far away with full speed in a flash after firing the missile.

JF-17 production with China’s support - thenews.com.pk

hqFWSsx.jpg

QMQa8zV.png
nfTGZQv.png
MielPm2.png
lf9aMOj.jpg
xCBi7jA.jpg
wVj2LDL.jpg
Xj8crsD.jpg

Can some knowledgeable member here point me to the page or link to give more insight unto subsystems for JF17 produced by PAC,

from PAC website, all I could find is "Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) holds the exclusive rights of 58% of JF-17 airframe co-production work."

Does PAC manufacture the following:
Fuselage for the air frame
Internal honeycomb for wing and tail sections,
External skin for Wing and Tail,
Nose Cone
Oxygen system
EFIS and HUD,
Optical wire harness system
Multifuctional Displays/HUD
Missile approach warning system
Radar jamming Pod,
Nret KLJ 7 Radar subsystems
Main landing Gear Unit
Nose landing gear unit,
ejections seats
Canopy

Any further information on FRC composites if any used. @Manticore @TaimiKhan @Oscar @Aeronaut

Last edited:
Can some knowledgeable member here point me to the page or link to give more insight unto subsystems for JF17 produced by PAC,

from PAC website, all I could find is "Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) holds the exclusive rights of 58% of JF-17 airframe co-production work."

Does PAC manufacture the following:
Fuselage for the air frame
Internal honeycomb for wing and tail sections,
External skin for Wing and Tail,
Nose Cone
Oxygen system
EFIS and HUD,
Optical wire harness system
Multifuctional Displays/HUD
Missile approach warning system
Radar jamming Pod,
Nret KLJ 7 Radar subsystems
Main landing Gear Unit
Nose landing gear unit,
ejections seats
Canopy

Any further information on FRC composites if any used. @Manticore @TaimiKhan @Oscar @Aeronaut

U visited there outdated website where the following systems r advertised etc n ur still asking if they manufacture them? Right now over 80+% avionics n 60+% body is being manufactured by them... At least from what I have read.

U visited there outdated website where the following systems r advertised etc n ur still asking if they manufacture them? Right now over 80+% avionics n 60+% body is being manufactured by them... At least from what I have read.
Can you point me in the right direction to find what subsystems are being manufactured by PAC? Any links or articles would be helpful and I did not find any of these advertised, I am just trying to know how much of the project has been assimilated by PAC..

Looks like PAF makes the tail section internal stiffer and the external AL skin for the tail section of JF 17 (assume) at the PAC AMF.
The sheet metal dept can support all sized internal stiffeners. ....
All internal Hydraulic piping for JF17. ....
Rubber gaskets for JF17 (and all other PAF a/c's).....
Wing spar stiffeners (assumption)

Although PAC might have the ability of assembling the entire JF 17 aircraft from all the subsystems, when does PAC intend to get complete manufacturing ability for the aircraft?? or they will always maintain 58% of Air frame co production relying on china for the rest of 42%?

I haven't seen any information to point at production at PAC of
The Airframe Fusealage
Main landing gear unit
Nose Landing gear unit
Dual redundant mission computers
Multimode Pulse Doppler Radar
Ring laser gyro inertial navigation system
SHUD
Radar Altimeter
IFF Interrogator/Transponder
Air Combat Manoeuvring Instrumentation (ACMI)
BVR/Communication Data link
hVHF / UHF Communication System
Canopy for JF 17 although (it has the potential for K8, Mirage and JF17, as stated in the PAC website)
Wing plan-form external skin
Wing internal honeycomb
Nose cone ....

Any additional data to point otherwise would be appreciated

Looks like PAF makes the tail section internal stiffer and the external AL skin for the tail section of JF 17 (assume) at the PAC AMF.

Although PAC might have the ability of assembling the entire JF 17 aircraft from all the subsystems, when does PAC intend to get complete manufacturing ability for the aircraft?? or they will always maintain 58% of Air frame co production relying on china for the rest of 42%?

The Airframe Fusealage
Main landing gear unit
Nose Landing gear unit
SHUD
Radar Altimeter
Canopy for JF 17 although (it has the potential for K8, Mirage and JF17, as stated in the PAC website)
Wing internal honeycomb
Nose cone ....

@Oscar

The Airframe Fusealage
Main landing gear unit
Nose Landing gear unit
SHUD
Radar Altimeter
Wing internal honeycomb
Nose cone ....

Some of the equipment you mentioned, comes in modular design, i.e. in box form. You receive it from the manufacturer and plug it in. Just like Lots of Avionics, RWR, Radar etc.

PAC is assembling the KLJ7 Radar, however, other electronics come in a boxed form and are simply installed.

For example, the ring laser gyro you mentioned, would be coming already manufactured. You don't have to manufacture every single component. Processors, LCDs, ejection seats etc.

Some of the equipment you mentioned, comes in modular design, i.e. in box form. You receive it from the manufacturer and plug it in. Just like Lots of Avionics, RWR, Radar etc.

PAC is assembling the KLJ7 Radar, however, other electronics come in a boxed form and are simply installed.

For example, the ring laser gyro you mentioned, would be coming already manufactured. You don't have to manufacture every single component. Processors, LCDs, ejection seats etc.

Are there any plans for local production of air-frame fuselage, Wing spars, Wings assembly, Nose cone, Main Landing gear units, Nose landing gear, if yes any time-frame associated for technology/capacity transfer as Plaaf doesn't use JF17, it would make more sense to transfer manufacturing facilities to PAC...

Back
Top Bottom