What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

Old thread about the failue of Patriot (PAC-3)'s to intercept a single Zulfaqar/Burkan-3 missile. This missile appears to look very similar to the Resvan missile of the IRGC.

Pataramesh said the Resvan warhead design would enable high burnout velocity and very high re-entry speed compared to the guided Qiam-2 missile. And he was right, Resvan energy defeats PAC-3.

The threat to the Resvan is the THADD but their are other solutions for this problem.

Their is also another example from 2019 about this in Riyadh.

what is the longest ranged Iranian missile shahab 3????
Shahab-3 belongs to 1998-2015 era, it's no longer even in production AFAIK. The last variants had a range of around 1750km with a c. 500kg payload but with terrible precision (early models had CEP likely in excess of 1km).

As others have said, it has been replaced by Sejjil, Dezful, Haj Qasem, Kheybar Shekan (all solid-fuel) and Emad, Ghadr, Rezvan, Qiam and Khorramshahr (all liquid fuel).

Old thread about the failue of Patriot (PAC-3)'s to intercept a single Zulfaqar/Burkan-3 missile. This missile appears to look very similar to the Resvan missile of the IRGC.
It is indeed thought to be the same missile. But I don't really understand the point of another liquid fuel missile in Scud/Shahab class without precision targeting. Seems like a downgrade from Emad.

Last edited:
Are these people really responding to the drive by troll…smh

It is indeed thought to be the same missile. But I don't really understand the point of another liquid fuel missile in Scud/Shahab class without precision targeting. Seems like a downgrade from Emad.
Yeah I had similar interpretation. I didn't quite understand the point of it, but this missile is likely made many years ago and only shown recently.

Original Qiams which were produced in very high numbers -> Part of the inventory was converted to Rezvan, others were to Qiam-2. That's the only way I can interpret it.

Are these people really responding to the drive by troll…smh
I dont think he trolls, this is the first thing that pops out when searching "Longest missile range of Iran"

IMG_20230329_210307.jpg

No

Shahab-3 is one of the most obsolete missiles of Iran, it dates from 90s and is a scud, it had 2000 max km range, Shahab-3 is replaced with Emad and Ghadr-110
The longest ranged ballistic missile is Khorramshahr with more than 2000km (presumably 3-4Kkm)

Iran now has more options to build an IRBM that isn't just a giant scud like North Korea did

Also you should know ,that there is currently a (stupid) "limit" of 2000km range imposed by the Iran Leader
Only giant SCUD that North Korea made was Hwasong-7 that is MRBM with maximum range of 1500 kilometers at most.
Their only IRBM is not an SCUD as it is throttled down RD-250 with a single nozzle with range of up to 4500 kilometers, nearly ICBM.
Since you mentioned SCUD, North Korea developed Hwasong-9 that is SCUD with same diameter, but much longer and lighter airframe.

Hwasong-9 has range of over 1000 kilometers thus an MRBM and not SRBM as original SCUD's were.

In my opinion, the Shahab-3 is basically non-important, but our country hates to just "scrap" working products. If it works and it still has a use, we will keep it in reserves. In other countries, predominantly western countries, even products made in the 90s, where most militaries would find useful today are scraped and discontinued. An item like the Shahab-3 with it's design and engine can literally last 50-100 years in a vacuum sealed bag without any maintenance costs. The warhead can be replaced with a cluster warhead and find itself quite useful in this regard, of course you can also use it for indiscriminate city bombing if it came to that.

Could potentially be useful as a decoy as well, to saturate / fool ABM systems.

Shahab-3 belongs to 1998-2015 era, it's no longer even in production AFAIK. The last variants had a range of around 1750km with a c. 500kg payload but with terrible precision (early models had CEP likely in excess of 1km).

And later Shahab-3 designs (Shahab-3B / -3C with triconic warhead) had much improved CEP's, of up to around 150 meters if I remember correctly an estimate put forth by PeeD in an article back then at the ACIG website, under 500 meters at any rate. These were already in a different category than the original Scud missile and good enough to represent a game changer of sorts, compounded by the fact that Iran had inaugurated mass production lines (I recall Shamkhan during an interview with IRIB at that time stating in reference to BM's, "mesle noqlo nabat tolid mikonim").

In particular they enabled Iran to generate a credible threat against USA airbases in the region as well as against certain critical infrastructures in Occupied Palestine, which contributed to deterring military aggression during the Bush jr. years. During that period Iran held a wargame in which a sketch of the Bagram airbase (Afghanistan) had been drawn onto the ground. It was successfully hit by multiple incoming ballistic missiles. Footage was aired on national television and served as proof that Iran can strike every American base in the surroundings.

Of course Iran's current BM inventory is yet again on a completely different level, capable practically of pin-point precision strikes among other feats (greater survivability thanks to hardened underground missile cities, diversified launch platforms, maneuvering separable RV's and higher speeds for increased performance against anti-missile shields, not to mention sheer numbers which skyrocketed since the early 2000's etc).

Last edited:
Heres an interesting development from back in the pre terminal guidance days of the cluster munition warhead era.
Evidently there was an effort made to attempt to try and use these in the antiship role. 🤯

" Iran's first attempt to have a long-range anti-ship ballistic missile does not use a detachable, maneuverable and winged warhead! Years ago, in order to damage the enemy's mobile naval targets in the distance, a program was planned to fire the Shahab 3 missile with a warhead containing a bomblet "

Heres an interesting development from back in the pre terminal guidance days of the cluster munition warhead era.
Evidently there was an effort made to attempt to try and use these in the antiship role. 🤯

" Iran's first attempt to have a long-range anti-ship ballistic missile does not use a detachable, maneuverable and winged warhead! Years ago, in order to damage the enemy's mobile naval targets in the distance, a program was planned to fire the Shahab 3 missile with a warhead containing a bomblet "

*bomblets (the singular 'bomblet' is a translation error). More than a thousand actually, as per sardar Salami's statement in the clip.

use google street view to locate the company mentioned in article that is supposed to provide iran with those chemicals
and this is it

you can see a 360 degree view of this nefarious, bad, bad, UN sanction violating company

as i believe another fearmongering article about Iran because they were low on their quota

use google street view to locate the company mentioned in article that is supposed to provide iran with those chemicals
and this is it

you can see a 360 degree view of this nefarious, bad, bad, UN sanction violating company

as i believe another fearmongering article about Iran because they were low on their quota
Looks like the Breaking Bad house where they make crystal meth 😂

They are maybe hidden in the house and pouring the chemicals in the backyard awaiting for the Russian army to transport it

By the way the image is from 2013

https://techmika.ru/catalog-category/dom/pirotehnika/1128/ This is the website, where they seem to sell firecrackers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom