What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

Seems a little desperate move to counter Iranian gliding MaRV and future HGVs.

It may work in some kinds of engagements but generally an expensive solution against an inexpensive weapon.

At the moment they have no counter at all, so at least it will boost the more to have something that may work in some way.
Best to go on the offensive and develop their own IRBMs to counter Iran's.

In a funny way the more Israel brings on technology to the field against Iran ( using American Tech and American $$) the more they help Iranian Tech to develop....Similar thing happened in 1960's to the space program of the US..the russians started it and the American had to counter it and we know the rest of the story...:azn:

They still believe their multi-decade, multi-billion investment in airpower is sufficient.

BM's only with nuclear warheads.

Their BM are not designed to be cost efficient, like Irans are.
I wouldn't count them out, even if its not cost efficient with their LORA missiles. Can improve the range, or learn from it and develop new missiles. They only need to develop lets say 3000km range missile to hit all of Iran.

@PeeD sir, can we assume that Zuljanah SLV is in same class with MGM-134 ?
It has a diameter of 1.17 m and 14 m height. A three stages solid fueled missile weighing 13,600 Kg. Interestingly it has a range of 11,000 KM.
"The Midgetman grew out of a requirement expressed in the mid-1980s by the U.S. Air Force for a small ICBM which could be deployed on road vehicles. Fixed silos are inherently vulnerable to attack"
"By producing a mobile missile which could not easily be targeted by enemy forces, and thus survive a first strike attempt, the Air Force hoped to reduce this possibility and maintain the ability to deter (second strike). It was also a response to the Soviet development of SS-24 (rail mobile) and the SS-25 (road mobile) ICBMs."
" System definition studies for the SICBM (Small Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) commenced in 1984 under an Air Force Program Office, located at Norton AFB, CA, with TRW providing System Engineering and Technical Assistance (SETA) support."

The wikipedia called SICBM, small ICBM. I suspect this one is so similar to Zuljanah solid fueled SLV. I'd call them tactical ICBMs. From our experience with bombing Ain Al Assad, i have no doubt that we can have SICBM with lowest possible CEP.

American midgetman
MGM-134A-Midgetman.jpg

Iranian Zuljanah
unnamed (6).jpg

Posted by فیلدمارشال
Qassed SLV in comparison with MGM-134
images.png

I wouldn't count them out, even if its not cost efficient with their LORA missiles. Can improve the range, or learn from it and develop new missiles. They only need to develop lets say 3000km range missile to hit all of Iran.

Well 3000km is not easy to achieve cost effectively, but yes they could develop a single stage missile with a cost efficient solid fuel.
They will be forced to do so sooner or later.

@PeeD sir, can we assume that Zuljanah SLV is in same class with MGM-134 ?
It has a diameter of 1.17 m and 14 m height. A three stages solid fueled missile weighing 13,600 Kg. Interestingly it has a range of 11,000 KM.
"The Midgetman grew out of a requirement expressed in the mid-1980s by the U.S. Air Force for a small ICBM which could be deployed on road vehicles. Fixed silos are inherently vulnerable to attack"
"By producing a mobile missile which could not easily be targeted by enemy forces, and thus survive a first strike attempt, the Air Force hoped to reduce this possibility and maintain the ability to deter (second strike). It was also a response to the Soviet development of SS-24 (rail mobile) and the SS-25 (road mobile) ICBMs."
" System definition studies for the SICBM (Small Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) commenced in 1984 under an Air Force Program Office, located at Norton AFB, CA, with TRW providing System Engineering and Technical Assistance (SETA) support."

The wikipedia called SICBM, small ICBM. I suspect this one is so similar to Zuljanah solid fueled SLV. I'd call them tactical ICBMs. From our experience with bombing Ain Al Assad, i have no doubt that we can have SICBM with lowest possible CEP.

Unfortunately no Midgetman used much higher technology than Zoljanah does.
Midgetmen technology is at the level of the Salman upper stage fortunately.

But Zoljanah is cheaper to build than Midgetman despite being more than twice heavier.

Then we can have a cost effective solution during any war scenario. 👍

Maybe, but lets hope for the IRGC come up with something mobile and small, based on Salman technology.

Zoljanah technology is cost efficient, but not as survivable due to it very high weight.

Zoljanah technology was also originally developed by the IRGC but passed to the space agency after they went for more advanced tech., 15 years is between them.

Maybe, but lets hope for the IRGC come up with something mobile and small, based on Salman technology.

Zoljanah technology is cost efficient, but not as survivable due to it very high weight.

Zoljanah technology was also originally developed by the IRGC but passed to the space agency after they went for more advanced tech., 15 years is between them.
My main concern, dear sir, is Diego Garcia island. The island and its strategic position allowed USA to inflict a considerable damage on Soviets forces in Afghanistan. If having the island well within range means ICBM capability for Iran then so be it.
Could we count on Zoljanah in case its upgraded to the level that you have assumed to be 15 years ahead of that?

They still believe their multi-decade, multi-billion investment in airpower is sufficient.

BM's only with nuclear warheads.

Their BM are not designed to be cost efficient, like Irans are.

Fact is if the Americans had overall chosen BM instead of an Airforce & LACM as their main conventional delivery system they would not have been able to invade any country outside their own continent.

How are you gonna defend your Transport Aircraft, Your Helo's, Your Ships, Your armored divisions...
BM can't target or defend against an incoming armored division at least not very effectively where as their (US) current doctrine allows them to take out up to 40 armored vehicles with a single sensor fuzed weapon.
It allows them to defend a vast naval fleet transporting Troops, Armored divisions, Helo's, LACM,...

Conflict in Syria is all the prof you need to see the vast limitations of a conventional BM doctrine like Iran's as appose to an Airforce especially when troops and equipment need to be deployed beyond your boarders.... and we aren't even fighting a real military there....

Also Americans chose Land Attack Cruise Missiles over BM in the 80's because the accuracy of LACM allowed them to "safely" transport and hit a "larger number" of targets from a "sufficient range" in their initial attack.
For them choosing LACM over BM was and is still a sound option especially when you have so many!

I have my own question to @PeeD....What makes Midgetman less heavier. I see it is shorter than Iranian Zoljanah then the question will be ...... is it the "fuel" or is it a more efficient "engine"..or both...

I have my own question to @PeeD....What makes Midgetman less heavier. I see it is shorter than Iranian Zoljanah then the question will be ...... is it the "fuel" or is it a more efficient "engine"..or both...

Just compare the spec's Diameter, length....

It's the 3 stages and light payload that allows it to travel that distance...

Just compare the spec's Diameter, length....

It's the 3 stages and light payload that allows it to travel that distance...
but PeeD says Zoljaneh is twice heavier than Midgetman So what accounts for Midgetman being a better Missile. I have heard that "weight per range" not including the warhead is not a fixed number for missile..so back to my question..what makes Midgetman a better missile. :wacko:

My main concern, dear sir, is Diego Garcia island. The island and its strategic position allowed USA to inflict a considerable damage on Soviets forces in Afghanistan. If having the island well within range means ICBM capability for Iran then so be it.
Could we count on Zoljanah in case its upgraded to the level that you have assumed to be 15 years ahead of that?

Diego Garcia should be handled with a Khorrmashahr variant. Count on a Salman based ICBM, not the Zoljanah.

Fact is if the Americans had overall chosen BM instead of an Airforce & LACM as their main conventional delivery system they would not have been able to invade any country outside their own continent.

How are you gonna defend your Transport Aircraft, Your Helo's, Your Ships, Your armored divisions...
BM can't target or defend against an incoming armored division at least not very effectively where as their (US) current doctrine allows them to take out up to 40 armored vehicles with a single sensor fuzed weapon.
It allows them to defend a vast naval fleet transporting Troops, Armored divisions, Helo's, LACM,...

Conflict in Syria is all the prof you need to see the vast limitations of a conventional BM doctrine like Iran's as appose to an Airforce especially when troops and equipment need to be deployed beyond your boarders.... and we aren't even fighting a real military there....

Also Americans chose Land Attack Cruise Missiles over BM in the 80's because the accuracy of LACM allowed them to "safely" transport and hit a "larger number" of targets from a "sufficient range" in their initial attack.
For them choosing LACM over BM was and is still a sound option especially when you have so many!

What about the U.S setting up a bridgehead near the place it wants to attack and use BM's?

They chose LACM because they had no BM that could do that job back then.
FYI their new "Hypersonic weapons", are basically BMs.

Midgetman or Salman are just much more advanced technology. Similar to Shahab-3 vs. Khorramshahr.
Better everything.

Back
Top Bottom