What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

I don't even know what our Yemen strategy is anymore.

Cause enough mayhem and fear for Saudi Arabia and then watch as it inevitably blows back in our face when everyone gets angry that we transferred Qiams or Qiam parts into yemen.

Though, it is good to know how much they struggle with a simple missile like Qiam.

I think this is what everyone is worried about.

Its pretty serious actually because we are proliferating long range BM's. If we were sending TOWs or just guns and some heavy infantry equipment, it really would not be a big deal. Some people would just bark and that would be the end of it.

But a BM is a whole other situation. I don't think even the Soviets transferred BM's to non-state groups. I'm not worried about war, but I think sepah is fucking Rouhani gov. over because the Euro's are gonna turn against us because of this.

Its pretty serious actually because we are proliferating long range BM's. If we were sending TOWs or just guns and some heavy infantry equipment, it really would not be a big deal. Some people would just bark and that would be the end of it.

But a BM is a whole other situation. I don't think even the Soviets transferred BM's to non-state groups. I'm not worried about war, but I think sepah is fucking Rouhani gov. over because the Euro's are gonna turn against us because of this.

It definitely is a step up in Iranian actions across the Middle East. To what exact end I can't say but the Saudis are getting hammered with ballistic missiles pretty regularly now.

Yep, that's a Qiam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
but it look so small in yemen and the missile warhead look different too.

testing iranian missiles against powerful missile defense systems. This will certainly provide useful information to scientists in Iran's missile field, and in further will enhance Iran's new generation missiles. smart move :enjoy:

مثل اینکه فقط یک موشک پیتریت شلیک شده . میگن اول صدای انفجاز بزرگ شنیده که احتمالا انفجار کلاهک بوده و بعد صدای انفجار کوچیک تر که احتمالا انفجار موشک پیتریت بوده. یعنی یمنی ها خودشون عمدا کلاهک قیام رو در اسمان منفجر کردن ? چون دود حاصل از انفجار کلاهک فاصلش تا زمین خییییلی کمه من فکر میکردم توی فاصله بالاتر فقط میتونه مورد اصابت قرار بگیره کلاهک یک موشک

As it seems Iran has got one strategy in entire wast Asia, none of our rivals should never get out of a military conflict as victorious, military option must be burnt must be seen as a long, painful and stupid way . Iran takes "Yemen war" as the American war which means Saudis are fighting in the line of the American interests What do you think would happen if Saudis win the battle in Yemen? First they become more confident, secondly they would see military option workable which could be repeated in other areas. The only reason for Iran to provide Houthis with cruise missiles, BM and ... might be this.

By the way if it's Qiam then what about the range? how much you could reduced the warhead to increase the range about 100 miles?166 kms?
Here is the location of the missile fired:

And this is the distance btw this location and Riyadh:
Range.jpg

Raptor22,

Based on what we know/suspect of the Qiam-1's origins with the Hwasong-6 and Shahab-2, IMHO extending the Qiam-1's range to the 900-1000km range seen in the Burkan-2H is quite feasible.

When the North Koreans designed the Hwasong-6 (or got the specs from Soviet design bureaus, depending on who you ask), they managed to nearly double the range of the missile by reducing it warhead by 23% (1000kg -> 770kg) and increasing the size of the fuel tanks by ~1/2 a meter or so. This contracts greatly with Iraqi efforts to achieve the same thing (see Al Hussein missile).

When the Qiam-1 was designed, the warhead was clearly reduced further, evident by the new warhead appearance. How much isn't 100% certain but I think a safe bet puts it in the 500-600kg range. This reduction, plus the remove of the fixed fins (decreasing drag) allowed its range to be increased to 800km.

So for the Houthis (whether via imported missiles or imported engineers) to design the Burkan-2H to reach a 12.5-25% increase in range, another warhead reduction could be the solution. How much of a reduction, hard to guess.

The Qiam-1 based Burkan-2H is capable of that range due to complex modifications, "rocket science modifications" as I would call it.

Iraqi SCUD modifications were like infant games compared to that. Reason is the following:

Whether the aluminium and to 770kg reduced warhead of the "SCUD-C" were a Soviet invention or a North Korean one, this was the limit of what was easily possible. The step after that to go beyond 500km is way more difficult due to center of gravity and center of pressure problems.

A SCUD-B or -C need large aft fins for stabilization during re-entry. Ghadr, Qiam and Burkan-2H don't need them for that purpose, they just need them for stabilization against cross winds during ascent and most importantly as counter weight.
To get rid of them and save the weight for range and payload, you need a complex sectional tank arrangement in order to keep the top heavier than the fin-less aft with the propellant pushed under acceleration loads and the heavy engine.
That's why the Qiam/Burkan-2H design have as many as 9 fuel and oxidizer interfaces and at least 3 separate tanks. The system design must achieve the objective to eject the RV on the right trajectory before losing its CoG stability. Otherwise you would get a instabile reentry like with Iraqi long range SCUDs which is not based on "rocket science full calculated flight trajectory" but "get that thing somewhere there, if possible exploding on impact, if it survives".

Now what is necessary to build a Burkan-2H? The science in form of the design, the capability of tank section welding modifications,
- an new, advanced flight control system with IMU that provides continuous flight corrections to a
--> TVC system that makes use of advanced servo motors able to cope with the rapid, accurate flight corrections (caused by cross-winds),
+ several more items... and of course some North Korean made SCUD-Cs as basis.

960km should be really at the edge of what one can get out of a SCUD design with SCUD dimensions, same fuel and the original SCUD motor. A beautiful masterpiece for this specific case and its well possible that the warhead is 500kg+.
Transferring a design or loosing the Qiam blueprints to Houthi hackers... its only a "crime" of Iran exports whole physical weapon systems.

@AmirPatriot

I just looked at some photos; those X10C etc. objects are a least partially cable connection ports to the missile guidance system. But it does not explain why there are 4 and more of them on them.

I think this is what everyone is worried about.
It definitely is a step up in Iranian actions across the Middle East. To what exact end I can't say but the Saudis are getting hammered with ballistic missiles pretty regularly now.
As it seems Iran has got one strategy in entire wast Asia, none of our rivals should never get out of a military conflict as victorious, military option must be burnt must be seen as a long, painful and stupid way . Iran takes "Yemen war" as the American war which means Saudis are fighting in the line of the American interests What do you think would happen if Saudis win the battle in Yemen? First they become more confident, secondly they would see military option workable which could be repeated in other areas. The only reason for Iran to provide Houthis with cruise missiles, BM and ... might be this.

By the way if it's Qiam then what about the range? how much you could reduced the warhead to increase the range about 100 miles?166 kms?
Here is the location of the missile fired:

And this is the distance btw this location and Riyadh:
View attachment 443772

Why are you guy's so ready to believe that these missiles are Iranian???

Yemen had Scud-C with +600km range prior to the conflict so to further increase range they could reduce payload.....

If Iran was transferring Iranian made cruise missiles & BM to Yamen with Iranian markings on them why would they stop there?

There are Saudi Military Bases, Oil facilities, Ports, Depots,... in Jazan that's within ~80km of northern Yemen that have hardly been hit!

Firing a single cruise missile at UAE & less than a had full of BM at the Saudi Capital with Iranian markings on them isn't a sound military tactic by Iran because it just helps to create propaganda against Iran with little damage to the Saudi's

If U.S., Saudi Arabia & Israel wanted to create propaganda against Iran to take on & take out Iran's Ballistic Missile program politically without starting a war the best way for them to go at it is to 1st create propaganda then rally a bunch of countries to put sanctions on Iran & do the same thing they did with Iran's Nuclear Program with Iran's Ballistic Missile program!

And since Iran hasn't spent the past 30 years upgrading it's Air Force any deal that restricts Iran's ballistic missile program equals to a key to attack and invade Iran!
Saddam agreed to restrictions & UN inspection of it's BM program and rather than peace it lead to an invasion!
Qaddafi in Libya agreed to had over it's WMD's and BM and rather than peace Libya was bombed and Qaddafi was taken out!

As for the IRGC wanting to embarrass the Rohani administration they could easily do that politically at home!
They can go on Iranian TV show the amount of money being spend on acquisitions of regional countries compared to Iran and point out Rohani administration inability to properly manage the economy and fund the military that's putting the countries security at risk, they can show Rohani administrations inability to fund the space program,
They can go on Iranian TV and show how increased defense spending equals to more jobs in almost every sector,....

And to create problem for the Rohani administration on an international scale all they have to do is publicize and conduct more missile tests at home!

Modelling filamenent surface texture has absolutely no purpose on a mock-up. No need for such detail.

It looks like a rejected production item with some sections like the rv being a possible mock-up.
If it is a mock-up then they did the extra detail for misinformation purpose --> Zolfaghar has composite casing.

Don't confuse a pipe with a bad paint job made to look like the Zolfaghar missile with the actual missile!
Even the body is a mockup! a bad one at that!

RV is a mock-up, warhead of course too.

What the booster is remains open. Certinaily not a industrial pipe.
Either a rejected early production example or a burnt out static test booster that has been subject to heat. This would explain why the fibres are no visible and were not on the unburnt example with intact polymer/resin matrix.

Back
Top Bottom