What's new

'Indian ships enter Bangladesh waters'

Its high time Bangladesh go for joint defense procurement with Pakistan, specially with navy.

BD and Pakistan is already jointly building war ships. If you think about strategy then after 1974 assassination of Sheikh Mujib, Bangladesh joined china-pak strategy and remaining till now. But recent terrorist activities in pak-afghan border is a great pain to make a big decision and public support.

Just tell you one thing, as now every country has its own territory,own govt system,own mother language- now everyone is happy. So what we need to do is- to have same views,strategy,foreign policy and military action cooperation. We need to build a "north-south allied treaty" including Russia,China,Pakistan,Bangladesh- just like NATO. Then we'll see how people play with us. Through this, we can have aligned cooperation and nobody will be stupid enough to point finger at us. Just simply think about the population (Russia+China+Bangladesh+Pakistan) and if every one people holds an AK-47- who the hell to face us?

In fact, if we do this, westerns will not be stupid enough to through some policy to miss the opportunity to sell their products to this big market.

How many of you will agree with my idea?

BD and Pakistan is already jointly building war ships. If you think about strategy then after 1974 assassination of Sheikh Mujib, Bangladesh joined china-pak strategy and remaining till now. But recent terrorist activities in pak-afghan border is a great pain to make a big decision and public support.

Just tell you one thing, as now every country has its own territory,own govt system,own mother language- now everyone is happy. So what we need to do is- to have same views,strategy,foreign policy and military action cooperation. We need to build a "north-south allied treaty" including Russia,China,Pakistan,Bangladesh- just like NATO. Then we'll see how people play with us. Through this, we can have aligned cooperation and nobody will be stupid enough to point finger at us. Just simply think about the population (Russia+China+Bangladesh+Pakistan) and if every one people holds an AK-47- who the hell to face us?

In fact, if we do this, westerns will not be stupid enough to through some policy to miss the opportunity to sell their products to this big market.

How many of you will agree with my idea?

I dont see this to happen in anytime soon!!! Russia is too inclined to India, so it wont go this way. Russia wants china on its side to counter West and china wants Russia to steal its military technology. Also India wants Russia for the same, and Russia is dreaming to make some quick cash out of India, if ever india get rich. Again BD, PK may look for chinese help and China will come forward in a passive way and it will never go to war for these two small countries
The relationship here is too complex and heterogeneous to be materialized..

Don't worry BD will not make it too easy for India. It will be a slow, painful and demoralizing experience for India if they push this issue to far.

What issue?! Sheesh you guys are punching at shadows here. Do you seriously think a trespassing civilian ship is going to trigger a war? India has NO designs on Bangladesh and does NOT want a war with Bangladesh. I am surprised by the amount of hatred Bangladeshi people have for India. After all, the countries do not have any major territorial disputes and India supported the Bangladeshi struggle for independence. It probably stems from a deep rooted hatred of Hindus originating from the partition and Pakistani rule. Nevertheless, let it be known that no Indian has any ill will against Bangladesh.

Coming back to the topic, your article admitted the ship was in waters that are DISPUTED - NOT Bangladeshi waters.

What issue?! Sheesh you guys are punching at shadows here. Do you seriously think a trespassing civilian ship is going to trigger a war? India has NO designs on Bangladesh and does NOT want a war with Bangladesh. I am surprised by the amount of hatred Bangladeshi people have for India. After all, the countries do not have any major territorial disputes and India supported the Bangladeshi struggle for independence. It probably stems from a deep rooted hatred of Hindus originating from the partition and Pakistani rule. Nevertheless, let it be known that no Indian has any ill will against Bangladesh.

Coming back to the topic, your article admitted the ship was in waters that are DISPUTED - NOT Bangladeshi waters.

NO, trespassing civilian ship will not trigger war but think about how high alert Bangladesh is when it comes to India; they are ready. And countries DO have territorial disputes.

Look at this map below. The hundreds of enclaves of the Rajshahi area of north west Bangladesh is in dispute. It's been over 60 years since it was cut out from India and still India wants more of the Rajshahi area.

fff140b3f11ff9aae3d310f517cd1f2a.jpg

The Bangladeshis don't hate the Indian people, they hate the Indian authority.

You said: "Nevertheless, let it be known that no Indian has any ill will against Bangladesh."

Most Indians don't have any ill will but they are not in power. Right-wing politicians (who are in power) do want to dissolve the sovereignty of Bangladesh as they mentioned that India should invade Bangladesh.

NO, trespassing civilian ship will not trigger war but think about how high alert Bangladesh is when it comes to India; they are ready. And countries DO have territorial disputes.

Look at this map below. The hundreds of enclaves of the Rajshahi area of north west Bangladesh is in dispute. It's been over 60 years since it was cut out from India and still India wants more of the Rajshahi area.

You said: "Nevertheless, let it be known that no Indian has any ill will against Bangladesh."

Most Indians don't have any ill will but they are not in power. Right-wing politicians (who are in power) do want to dissolve the sovereignty of Bangladesh as they mentioned that India should invade Bangladesh.

I said major territorial disputes - the enclaves are hardly as big a dispute as Kashmir. Admittedly, I don't know much about the enclaves issue - I heard the mess was created pre-independence when two nawabs of the area exchanged patches of land in gambling.

There are no right-wing politicians currently in power in the central govt in India and even the BJP never mentioned anything about annexing Bangladesh. Every Indian govt has been friendly towards Bangladesh since its independence although there are currently concerns about illegal immigration and radicalization of Bangladeshi society.

I look forward to more info on the border disputes from your side.

Foreign ministry summons Indian envoy

Dhaka, Dec 27 (bdnews24.com)—The Indian high commissioner in Dhaka has been summoned to the foreign ministry over the entry of Indian survey ships into Bangladesh territorial waters, the foreign secretary said on Saturday.

"The Indian envoy was summoned so Dhaka could lodge a diplomatic protest with Delhi," Md Touhid Hossain told bdnews24.com.

"We have received no information so far on whether the Indian ships have left our waters," the foreign secretary added.

The Indian ships entered Bangladesh waters on Thursday night. The Indian ships left the disputed waters on Friday after the Bangladesh Navy protested the intrusion, but entered again later, said the foreign ministry.

A foreign ministry statement on Friday had said Bangladesh was demanding suspension of mineral exploration activities in the Bay by India until the sea borders between the two countries are demarcated.

The statement said the Indian ships were conducting surveys of deep-sea Block 14 in the maritime area claimed by Bangladesh under the Territorial Waters and Maritime Zones Act 1974.

The foreign adviser in an earlier statement said the government was running an inquiry.

Foreign ministry summons Indian envoy :: Bangladesh :: bdnews24.com ::

India says 'no' on removal of ships

Sat, Dec 27th, 2008 2:21 pm BdST
Kamran Reza Chowdhury
bdnews24.com senior correspondent

Dhaka, Dec 27 (bdnews24.com)—India has so far rejected Bangladesh's request for removal of the former's survey ships from disputed waters in the Bay, with the Indian envoy in Dhaka saying the vessels will leave when their work is complete.

Indian high commissioner Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty, being summoned by the foreign ministry Saturday, urged the foreign secretary to send a delegation to Delhi to settle the issue.

Foreign secretary Md Touhid Hossain told reporters that Dhaka would send a delegation next month.

Chakravarty ruled out the possibility of escalating tensions with Bangladesh and hoped that the dispute could be resolved through talks.

"These are chartered ships, not Indian navy ships, though Bangladesh naval ships are in the area," Chakravarty told reporters after meeting with Touhid Hossain at the foreign ministry.

"I don't know what work they are doing there. But these are survey ships. They will finish their work, then go," said the Indian high commissioner.

He said the vessels were Jamaican survey ships chartered by private companies that secured licenses from the Indian government.

The foreign secretary also said that there were no Indian navy ships in the disputed area "at this moment", although in a statement on Friday the foreign ministry said two Indian naval ships were in disputed waters, some 140 nautical miles off Mongla port.

"I have requested the high commissioner so that India removes its ships," Touhid Hossain told reporters at his office Saturday. Meanwhile, two Bangladesh Navy ships are patrolling the waters, he added.

Chakravarty said: "This is not a disputed area. We call it overlapping claims … we have a right, they have a right."

"We are keen that a Bangladeshi team go to Delhi to sort out this issue."

Replying to a question on whether the Indian ships would remain until the talks, the high commissioner said, "That is the matter for discussion."

"Bangladesh has offered this area for international bidding knowing full well there were overlapping claims. When negotiations are on, why did the Bangladesh government put it up for international bidding?"

"If we wanted to create tension, we would have done something else," the Indian envoy said laughingly.

But, Chakravarty added: "There is no chance of escalating tension. We always talk to each other."

Touhid Hossain said: "The high commissioner seemed very positive and I hope the ships will go."

"He told me that he would send a note to Delhi for a meeting," he said.

I agree with you on "The Bangladeshis don't hate the Indian people, they hate the Indian authority."

About the DISPUTED territory,no country is allowed to do anything untill the issue is solved by 2011, according to the international law,but India certainly does not care about the LAWS.We know from the case of FARAKKA.

This incident will really affect the AL badly in elections. Why is India doing this now when the party of their preference will be adversely affected? They couldn't be stupid enough to think that this would help the AL.

This incident will really affect the AL badly in elections. Why is India doing this now when the party of their preference will be adversely affected? They couldn't be stupid enough to think that this would help the AL.

Bhai Jaan, If that is the case than I don't mind. I hope awami dalal will be down in this coming election inshallah................

India doesn't really lose sleep over who's elected in Bangladesh. Seriously, we'd rather do oil exploration whenever we want.

Chakravarty said: "This is not a disputed area. We call it overlapping claims … we have a right, they have a right."

"We are keen that a Bangladeshi team go to Delhi to sort out this issue."

This from your own posted article should pretty much sum up India's stance.

By the way, there isn't much coverage of this issue in the Indian media. Just goes to show we don't really care much.

Bangladesh does care and I hope the next government takes a strong stand against India on these issues and should not refrain from asserting its rights even if it means war.

Indian ships to leave Bay after finishing survey work: Envoy

India has so far rejected Bangladesh's request for removal of the former's survey ships from disputed waters in the Bay, with the Indian envoy in Dhaka saying the vessels will leave when their work is complete, reports bdnews24.com.

Indian high commissioner Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty, being summoned by the foreign ministry Saturday, urged the foreign secretary to send a delegation to Delhi to settle the issue.

Foreign secretary Md Touhid Hossain told reporters that Dhaka would send a delegation next month.

Chakravarty ruled out the possibility of escalating tensions with Bangladesh, and hoped that the dispute could be resolved through talks. "These are chartered ships, not Indian navy ships, though Bangladesh naval ships are in the area," He told reporters after meeting with Touhid Hossain at the foreign ministry.

"I don't know what work they are doing there. But these are survey ships. They will finish their work, then go," said the Indian high commissioner.

He said the vessels were Jamaican survey ships, chartered by private companies that secured licences from the Indian government.

The foreign secretary also said that there were no Indian navy ships in the disputed area "at this moment", although in a statement on Friday the foreign ministry said two Indian naval ships were in disputed waters, some 140 nautical miles off Mongla port.

"I have requested the high commissioner so that India removes its ships," Touhid Hossain told reporters at his office Saturday. Two Bangladesh Navy ships are patrolling the waters, he added.

Chakravarty said: "This is not a disputed area. We call it overlapping claims … we have a right, they have a right. We hope that a Bangladeshi team will go to Delhi to sort out this issue."

Replying to a question on whether the Indian ships would remain until the talks, the high commissioner said, "That is the matter for discussion."

"Bangladesh has offered this area for international bidding knowing full well there were overlapping claims. When negotiations are on, why did the Bangladesh government put it up for international bidding?"

"If we wanted to create tension, we would have done something else," the Indian envoy said laughingly. He added: "There is no chance of escalating tension. We always talk to each other."

Touhid Hossain said: "The high commissioner seemed very positive, and I hope the ships will go. He told me that he would send a note to Delhi for a meeting," he said.

Indian ships to leave Bay after finishing survey work: Envoy

Back
Top Bottom