What's new

'Indian ships enter Bangladesh waters'

Look brothers, India knows very well that it can kill lots of BD people if they go to war against BD but cannot win any war. War will bring strong nationalism and patriotism in BD but India will lose its economy. I can promise you one thing- No country in the world would even think about winning war against countries like China,Bangladesh,India,Pakistan. Because we have big population, so it's not possible for any country to win a war even if they deploy 9,00,000 troops. But if these four countries fight with each other, nobody can win now-a-days , it will only crash the economies and other countries will be benefited by arms/weapons sell. Forget about all those history of old wars because situation now is different and people now have lots of weapons and strategies.

India sees itself as a big brother, but other younger brothers don't even call India that. Now before go to any actions against Pakistan, India just want to sure about Bangladesh's strategical position in this region about which side Bangladesh is in.

You can make different analysis, post different comments but the truth is- south asia has a history of bloody wars and now every country has enough firepower. Nobody cannot win a war against anybody. Now western powers are again playing and using the same old 1947 tool so that hindu and muslim divides again what they have achieved in the past years. Because western nations know that if Bangladesh,India,Pakistan makes friendship and comes up with same foreign policy, then China and Russia will also join and there will be no NATO or WESTERN dominant power in the world. From north to south, it will be an aligned and allied global power.

As long as we south asians hate each other, the more problems we will face and westerns will keep playing with us. Just think about one thing- why do we have to go to north america or europe searching for friendship,honor and respect while we had hundreds of years of history of friendship as an undivided country?

its little offtopic but reality is separating from pakistan and naming the territory "bangladesh" is the greatest blunder of 20th century!!!

Now with this statement you are insulting Bangladesh,which I won't tolerate.And I think the moderators will agree with this.

its hilarious v call east territory bangladesh!!, v should work "for reunion", its enemies playing against you and divided us, my bengali brothers!!!, mukti bahinis terrorists were not freedom fighters!!

Saying Mukti Bahini terrorists is same as saying HAMAS is terrorist.It depends on from which point of view you see it.
I hope you will not make such comments in future.

The thought of REUNIFICATION would seem like JOKE of the century,especially after fighting for freedom.The presence relation between BD-PAK is good and it should stay that way.Not more nor less.

Few people talked about nuclear energy in Bangladesh. Since I used to keep a close eye on that topic and one of my teacher in BUET used to advise or advocates regarding the nukes in Bangladesh, I know little more inside than you guys. The reason Bangladesh did not go nuke, is that Bangladeshi sceintist never wanted it. Bangladesh is densely populated and there is no suitable place to install one where you could feel yourself safe. It is still the case and its not money or technology.
Also somebody suggested Pak and India shown interest on nuke co-operation with Bangladesh. Bangladesh cant do any business with either of them as they are not NPT signatory, and those who are suggesting that have no idea whatsoever how these co-operation is done in a very clean manner. Also Bangladesh should not seek any technology from any south asian countries as their technology is very premitive and most of the time hacked technology. China or Russia could be an option but should be the last resort. I saw Bangladesh talked with Japan and France. I prefer Japan as the first choice if not go with France or Germany...

On top of everything.. I basically dont want any nukes.. We have coal reserve for the next 50 years.. Why not COAL????

Last edited:
Indian ships refuse to back off despite navy protests

Dhaka, Dec 26 (bdnews24.com) – The navy has protested the intrusion of three Indian survey ships into Bangladesh's territorial waters in the Bay of Bengal, but those have refused to leave, the foreign ministry said on Friday.

"We've confirmed that one survey vessel backed by two navy ships has intruded into our waters," foreign secretary Touhid Hossain said to bdnews24.com on Friday.

"We've already lodged a ship-to-ship protest, but the Indian vessel has refused to leave the place," he added.

Both Bangladesh and India claim the waters, but until the dispute is settled no-one can carry out exploration works there, according to international law.

Bangladesh will move diplomatically to persuade the Indian ships back.

The foreign secretary said, "We will file a diplomatic protest note today [Friday] or tomorrow [Saturday]" to get the Indian vessels to go away.

Foreign adviser Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury said the government was running an inquiry.

"We are investigating the situation and will take actions as deemed necessary based on the result of the inquiry," he told bdnews24.com.

The Indian High Commission was not available for comment due to holiday on Friday.

The Indian ships illegally entered Bangladesh territorial waters to carry out mineral exploration activities on Thursday night.

The Bangladesh Navy frigate 'Khalid bin Walid' was dispatched to the spot on Thursday night and asked the Indian ships to back off, said one maritime official declining to be named.

"Three Indian survey vessels started seismic survey activities some 140 nautical miles southwest off Mongla seaport.

"Right after detection of the Indian ships, frigate Khalid bin Walid went there and asked them to leave Bangladesh territorial waters," said the official.

The official added that battleship BNS Meghla was also heading to the place from Chittagong port.

High officials of navy and coastguards have held an urgent meeting, the official said.

The Indian intrusion took place in less two months of Myanmar sending vessels and equipment to carry out the exploration in the disputed waters of the Bay of Bengal, some 60 nautical miles off Saint Martin's Island on Nov. 2.

Indian ships refuse to back off despite navy protests :: Bangladesh :: bdnews24.com ::

Its time for us to play a bigger game now with the help of Bangladesh. If BD can allow us to operate from Bay of Bengal, also heavy weapons must be spread in north east India, East Punjab, Kashmir and Gujarat. Let’s free the oppressed people in India from this Hindu fanatic state.

Cant you first help yourself by taking care of taliban in swat ,nwfp etc:sniper:

you had Bangladesh till 71 and you played around them took them for granted i guess playing the great game of china .:hitwall:

Well, don't play the indian angel of the Bengals. Don't be disappointed that no one in the world is hearing your false voice. Now your India is oppressing Bangladesh :rolleyes:

Cant you first help yourself by taking care of taliban in swat ,nwfp etc:sniper:

you had Bangladesh till 71 and you played around them took them for granted i guess playing the great game of china .:hitwall:

I am also talking about helping ourselves mate!

By disintegrating India we can get rid of terrorism from Western borders and oppressed people of India will also get liberation.

Its high time Bangladesh go for joint defense procurement with Pakistan, specially with navy. Coordinate strategy and integrate wherever fits, starting with joint defense council which could provide framework for such close cooperation and integration effort.

Both Pakistan and Bangladesh navy considering or even in process of procuring surface and sub platforms. If Bangladesh and Pakistan can jointly pursue such program, cost, adaptation, technical challenges and perhaps time can be optimized. Offcourse there are challenges with different sets of requirements and needs but idea is to explore and bridge those gaps for greater good.

I would like to hear opinion from Pak and BD defense expert on this regard.

Bangladesh demands India halt Bay activities :: Bangladesh :: bdnews24.com ::

Bangladesh demands India halt Bay activities

Fri, Dec 26th, 2008 8:06 pm BdST
Kamran Reza Chowdhury
bdnews24.com senior correspondent

Dhaka, Dec 26 (bdnews24.com) –Bangladesh has demanded suspension of mineral exploration activities in the Bay by India until the sea borders between the two countries are demarcated.

"The government of Bangladesh would ask for postponement of any exploratory or development activity in adjoining areas till such time as the maritime boundary between the two countries is settled by mutual agreement," a foreign ministry spokesperson said in a press statement Friday.

Foreign adviser Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury has said the government was running an inquiry.

"We are investigating the situation and will take actions as deemed necessary based on the result of the inquiry," he told bdnews24.com.

The Indian High Commission was not available for comment due to holiday on Friday.

Bangladesh and India resumed sea-boundary demarcation talks on September 15 this year in Dhaka after a pause of 22 years. Though the two-day Dhaka talks ended inconclusively, the two neighbours agreed to continue the dialogue.

The next round of talks are scheduled to take place in New Delhi, according to foreign ministry sources.

The foreign ministry said the Indian ships were conducting surveys of deep-sea Block 14 in the maritime area claimed by Bangladesh under the Territorial Waters and Maritime Zones Act 1974.

Both India and Myanmar have rejected the 1974 Act, however, making counter claims for the same waters. Dhaka has initiated dialogues to settle the maritime disputes with the two bordering countries.

Until the borders are settled none can carry out exploration in the disputed waters, according to international practices.

Friday's statement said three Indian ships left the disputed waters as the Bangladesh Navy protested the intrusion, but they entered again.

"While the survey ships initially moved towards Indian waters, they later came back to the earlier location where they were again located in the afternoon of 25 December 2008," said the foreign ministry statement.

"When the Bangladesh Navy vessel again asked it to leave Bangladesh waters, the ship replied that it was in Indian waters," it said.

Foreign secretary Md Touhid Hossain said his ministry would file a diplomatic protest note soon.

"We've confirmed that one survey vessel backed by two navy ships has intruded into our waters," foreign secretary Touhid Hossain told bdnews24.com earlier in the day.

"We've already lodged a ship-to-ship protest, but the Indian vessel has refused to leave the place," he added.

"We will file a diplomatic protest note today (Friday) or tomorrow," said the secretary.

The Indian ships entered Bangladesh territorial waters on Thursday night, when navy vessels were dispatched to the spot to ask the Indian ships to back off, said a maritime official.

"Three Indian survey vessels started seismic survey activities some 140 nautical miles southwest off Mongla seaport," the official had said, adding that top navy and coastguard officials held an urgent meeting, the official said.

The Indian intrusion takes place less than two months after Myanmar vessels attempted to carry out similar explorations in disputed Bay waters, some 60 nautical miles off Saint Martin's Island in early November.

During recent maritime talks, both India and Myanmar have claimed waters that would leave Bangladesh's sea zone locked.

India and Myanmar must settle the disputes with Bangladesh and demarcate their sea boundaries by the middle of 2009 according to the United Nations Convention on Laws of the Sea (UNCLOS).

Bangladesh needs to demarcate its sea border by middle of 2011.

Bangladesh, India, and Myanmar are all signatories to UNCLOS.

Both Pakistan and Bangladesh should enhance its cooperation between them to keep Indian under control.:cheers:
Other wise India will always try to bully its neighbors and blame them to cover
their incapability/fault.

As for my acknowledgment both Bangladesh and Pakistan has already started to cooperate in defense interests.:enjoy:

It looks like India seriously wants to get destroyed by someone, I think we should fulfill their wish

I am somewhat confused about the timing of this Indian misadventure. Now that the elections are just 2 days away why provoke BD and harm AL chances of victory? It just doesn't make sense as Bangladeshis will unite against Indian incursions and vote against the party most favorable to New Delhi interests.

Friday's statement said three Indian ships left the disputed waters as the Bangladesh Navy protested the intrusion, but they entered again.

"While the survey ships initially moved towards Indian waters, they later came back to the earlier location where they were again located in the afternoon of 25 December 2008," said the foreign ministry statement.

Are they playing cat and mouse game!!!

Back
Top Bottom