What's new

India steps up security for US embassy; deploys 150 policemen

xhw1986

Reaction score
Country
Norway
US-embassy.jpg

India has stepped up security at the US embassy and other American institutions here, deploying as many as 150 police personnel for round the clock security.

Allaying US concerns about security of their institutions after barricades outside the embassy here were removed as a fallout of the arrest of senior Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, official sources said on Thursday that at any given time 50 police personnel are deployed.

"As many 150 police personnel are being deployed during a 24-hour period in shifts at the US embassy, School and American Centre in New Delhi. Also, two police vehicles have been permanently stationed along various roads near the embassy including Nyaya Marg," they added.

Earlier, there were about 120 police personnel during a 24-hour period for the security of these institutions.

"There is 24x7 patrolling to ensure smooth flow of traffic and traffic calming measures including speed breakers are in place," said sources while indicating that this level of security is by far the most that is provided to any embassy in New Delhi.

The US government has been voicing concerns over the security of their diplomatic personnel after India enforced strict reciprocity by removing the barricades as the US authorities opened the parking in front of the Indian embassy in Washington DC to general public and refused to reinstate it despite repeated requests.

"The US action has forced India to review these privileges to bring them strictly in line with reciprocity," the sources had said.

The government action came after India's deputy consul general Devyani Khobragade, the 39-year-old 1999 IFS officer, was arrested in New York on December 12 on charges of making false declarations in a visa application for her maid Sangeeta Richard and subjected to strip and cavity search, which had sparked outrage in India.

India steps up security for US embassy; deploys 150 policemen - The Times of India

Bus itna hi tha thakur, hum to samjhey tum ab gorey ko murgha banao gay aur wo bang de ga
per tu to bahut jaldi phus ho gya

its not even been a month, and you are giving security personal to the very institutions that gave your diplomat and loyal citizen of INDIA the harsh treatment. where is the courageous Gov of India?!

Policy change or back door deal with usa? at least have the balls to get official apology from president of usa.

Seems like all a farce up until now.

Now I am not having a dig at India or Indians... I believe all humans should be respected and treated with dignity regardless of who they are and where they are from.

I saw a video of the strip search on CNN and I have to confess, they way she was treated was utterly horrific and everyone would feel humiliated the way she was treated.

There were male officers handling her while she was naked....Male or Female this type of man handling is unacceptable and takes honour a dignity away from the individual.

if the above report is true... than it is shameful for the government of India.

its not even been a month, and you are giving security personal to the very institutions that gave your diplomat and loyal citizen of INDIA the harsh treatment. where is the courageous Gov of India?!

Policy change or back door deal with usa? at least have the balls to get official apology from president of usa.

Now I am not having a dig at India or Indians... I believe all humans should be respected and treated with dignity regardless of who they are and where they are from.

I saw a video of the strip search on CNN and I have to confess, they way she was treated was utterly horrific and everyone would feel humiliated the way she was treated.

There were male officers handling her while she was naked....Male or Female this type of man handling is unacceptable and takes honour a dignity away from the individual.

Typical short sighted and un thought thru Pakistani Fanboy reaction. The issue in question is reciprocity.. No special privileges in return for no special privileges..

Can not amount to putting diplomatic staff of an ally in danger.

video was a fake dude

India remove the concrete block only to increase extra security personal and keep watching US embassy 24/7 to ensure the safety of the compound.

I don't understand why Pakistanis will poke their nose in affairs that doesn't concern our country Pakistan.

The video was a fake, and India are disgraceful removing the protection of an ally's Embassy is low and puts the lives of people in danger, what the USA did was not an act of war they just arrested someone who broke their nations laws. But the way India reacted is like the USA nuked India or something, India the most corrupt nation on Earth is quick to get on it's high horse and act all offended.

What's that saying again?

drops rock on own feet

:lol: Looks like a win-win for both sides.

Okay, allow me to educate you. sometime back in several articles and at the height of this incident- it was explained that the concrete barriers were going to be removed. These concrete barriers were the "special privilege" given to our embassy, over the protests of multiple other embassies in the same area.

The reason for the other embassies protesting these concrete barriers was that it made it very difficult for traffic to maneuver in that area and inconvenient for the other embassies and their staffs. However India still gave the US embassy the " special privilege" at that time.

What India has done now ( per this article), looks like they took the " special privilege " away permanently . They have gone ahead and just added more bodies , which was the suggestion made by other embassies a long time ago when the US first requested the barriers.

150 personale armed and 24/7 watch outside the embassy is fine. there are about 3 more layers of security in place after that initial top layer.

they replaced the special privilege and not compromise, and our embassy is well protected with additional security. I can live with that...the trolls who want to create a a breach between US_ India relationship will keep instigating :)

so that was all UPA cud muster.....mehh...not even a month....lets see what Rahul baba says..

diplomatic riff-raff doesnt mean we will let diplomats die .

Ahh,stupid indians slap their our face again.I mean,seriously how stupid and cowardly indian government is?

Ahh,stupid indians slap their our face again.I mean,seriously how stupid and cowardly indian government is?

its not stupid rather a good step.......

diplomatic stand off doesnt mean we let the diplomats get killed
do you understand what are its implications....

there are enuff ways to troll the americans but that doesnt mean we should mess up their security

Back
Top Bottom