What's new

Egypt | Army Ousts Mursi govt, violence erupts | News & Discussions

egypt is ahead of pakistan in few means like they have egypt air, they have orascom, few nobel laureates and they have tourism, but i dont really get why in the world they will compare a nuclear power who has thousand times more resources and is a functioning stable democracy will be equal to egypt

just because we have some terrorist problem in few corners of our country doesnt mean we are failing badly

Still when they took out those signs they had just gotten out of 30+ years of what they accuse Pakistan of so it was in horribly bad taste. :rolleyes:

In New York's 'Little Egypt,' Egyptian-Americans cheer Mursi's ouster

2013-07-04T040805Z_1_CBRE9630BHQ00_RTROPTP_2_EGYPT-PROTESTS.JPG

Men wave Egyptian flags on the street in the Queens borough of New York, July 3, 2013. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

By Victoria Cavaliere 11 hours ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Members of New York's Egyptian community descended on the coffee shops, delis and Hookah bars of "Little Egypt" on Wednesday to celebrate the overthrowing of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi after one year in office.

Some people gathered on the sidewalks of the neighborhood in Astoria, Queens, but most congregated inside the public places and their homes, eyes glued to Arabic-language news programs and TV images of demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square.

"We gave him a chance for one year and he didn't do anything," said Abdilmoniem Mohamed, 55, a Bronx resident who was at the Arab Community Center in Astoria watching coverage of the events.

Mohamed, who moved to New York in 1979, said he had considered the toppling of former president Hosni Mubarak in 2011 the happiest day of his life, until Wednesday, and would now be comfortable allowing his girls, both in their 20s, to visit Egypt.

As word spread up and down the streets of Little Egypt, friends and neighbors greeted each other with effusive congratulations. Egyptian flags were displayed on sidewalks and in store fronts. Outside one cafe, a group of men sang "lift your head high, you're an Egyptian."

Egypt has been in turmoil since Mubarak's fall, arousing concern among allies in the West and in Israel, with which Egypt has a 1979 peace treaty.

On Wednesday, hundreds of thousands of anti-Mursi protesters in Tahrir Square erupted into cheers, set off fireworks and waved flags after Egypt's top army commander announced the suspension of the Islamist-tinged constitution.

The reaction was more subdued in Little Egypt, where the fall the first freely elected president for the Arab world's most populous country, raised some concerns for the safety of friends and family in Egypt and for military rule.

"I'm not happy. I'm not sad. I'm confused," said Ehab Mohamed, owner of Zaitoun, a small store a couple of doors from the community center, who added, "He came in the legal way. They should have made a new election."

Ehab Mohamed said he had voted for Mursi, but was not pleased with his presidency. He also said he did not trust the armed forces to not try to assert a more permanent position.

Heba Khalifa, 35, a medical interpreter who lives in Queens, said she believed Mursi supporters were mostly "in hiding" in the neighborhood. "Believe me they are around, but today they are playing the victim," she said.

Khalifa said she was optimistic about Egypt's future and saw Mursi's ouster as a "curve" in the road to democracy. "Is this the last curve? No. There are more curves ahead," she said.

Her husband, Amr Khalifa, said he was of two minds: "The Egyptian in me is elated," he said, while the intellectual was "aware of the complexities" of the military takeover.

Amr Khalifa said he also was deeply concerned about the safety of his family, most of whom live in Cairo and Alexandria. "Whether the Islamists strike tonight, tomorrow, next week, believe you me, it will happen," he said.

(Writing by David Bailey; Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Lisa Shumaker)

egypt is ahead of pakistan in few means like they have egypt air, they have orascom, and they have tourism, but i dont really get why in the world they will compare a nuclear power who has thousand times more resources and is a functioning stable democracy will be equal to egypt

just because we have some terrorist problem in few corners of our country doesn't mean we are failing badly

Having nukes is by no means a judgement of country development and capability otherwise NK would stand in same league as Europe. And having done business in Egypt, it is far ahead of Pakistan by light years in various fields especially socio-economic development, culture, freedom and even technical expertise. But then we do have an edge over them in many fields as well.

New election will bring MB back to power. But the new election inevitably will be stage managed to thwart the popular will of the people.
MB is long gone now. They won't come back. Look what happened in only less than 24 hours after Morsi was ousted; Aljazeera suspended, other media channels shut down, Islamic channels shut down + arrested them and 300 MB and allied to MB members arrested for nothing. This is media and religious restriction, they closed the Gaza Rafah borders and suspended the constitution and reviewing for changes. You do know who did all of this for 30 years? Mubarak and the second one is another Mubarak who will be elected. So, I don't care.

Morsi did overstep his bounds a few times, but this is nascent democracy in a country ruled for decades by a series of iron fists. The proper procedures will develop over time. Also, as you mentioned about the economic problems, no one can seriously expect miracles on short notice.

If Morsi did do something unforgivably wrong -- he did reverse his dictatorial decree -- the matter could have been handled through a no-confidence vote, impeachment proceedings or any number of established means to deal with such extreme cases. Summary dismissal by a military coup sends absolutely the wrong signal to everyone in the region.

The region can think what it wants. What the Egyptian people should be concerned about is what the MB and their millions upon millions of supporters think of the democracy they had bought into which removed them from power.

CNN only showed those protesting against Morsi. There were millions out in his support as well so you see there is a chance for violence to erupt further.

a stable system, is far better they public anarchy, egypt doesnt know on what directions it needs to move ahead

they came out to throw mubarak, then they restored the old army system

egyptians are way too confused about themselves

pakistan should fix its electioneering process and judiciary, we dont need to rape 93 women and bring revolution

MB is long gone now. They won't come back. Look what happened in only less than 24 hours after Morsi was ousted; Aljazeera suspended, other media channels shut down, Islamic channels shut down + arrested them and 300 MB and allied to MB members arrested for nothing. This is media and religious restriction, they closed the Gaza Rafah borders and suspended the constitution and reviewing for changes. You do know who did all of this for 30 years? Mubarak and the second one is another Mubarak who will be elected.

And egyptians lived under mubarak quietly for 30+ years so supposedly it was a good thing.

The region can think what it wants. What the Egyptian people should be concerned about is what the MB and their millions upon millions of supporters think of the democracy they had bought into which removed them from power.

CNN only showed those protesting against Morsi. There were millions out in his support as well so you see there is a chance for violence to erupt further.

Now this is more like it.

I guess one can now believe the theory of the Jews and the Amrikans in keeping one more Islamic country unstable.

Egypt is not being attacked by American drones and this is what the protesters meant.

That is not what they meant. They were protesting Hillary visit and meant they would not tow the American line like Pakistan often does. What they forgot was that Egypt had been doing exactly that for the past 30 years while Pakistan was as recent as 2001. So like I said it was in bad taste. Egypt was never in a position to be droned I don't see how that even matters.

Morsi did overstep his bounds a few times, but this is nascent democracy in a country ruled for decades by a series of iron fists. The proper procedures will develop over time. Also, as you mentioned about the economic problems, no one can seriously expect miracles on short notice.

If Morsi did do something unforgivably wrong -- he did reverse his dictatorial decree -- the matter could have been handled through a no-confidence vote, impeachment proceedings or any number of established means to deal with such extreme cases. Summary dismissal by a military coup sends absolutely the wrong signal to everyone in the region.

This is what they were busy doing so the army had enough standing back and watching the show of country going down the drain...

Egyptian Salafi MP Ismail Causes Stir by Calling to Prayer During Session - YouTube

MB turned egypt into a clown state...

Shariah will be back no body can stop it still Muslim brother hood has support of Millions in Egypt and also the Salafists they also have support of millions tout of kufr cannot stop shariah from coming they can delay it for sometime but not stop it is inevitable
The day people draw a line between religion and politics,world will be a better place to live.

egypt is ahead of pakistan in few means like they have egypt air, they have orascom, few nobel laureates and they have tourism, but i dont really get why in the world they will compare a nuclear power who has thousand times more resources and is a functioning stable democracy will be equal to egypt

just because we have some terrorist problem in few corners of our country doesnt mean we are failing badly
they have higher gdp per capita than india/pak...
anyway.. people are commenting about being american stooge I guess..

Now this is more like it.

I guess one can now believe the theory of the Jews and the Amrikans in keeping one more Islamic country unstable.

Don't be retarded. I did not mention Jews or America even once. I mentioned how CNN only showed anti-Morsi protests because that is exactly what I saw on tv here on CNN. This was a completely Egyptian movement but if you think the whole country was against Morsi than you are the fool.

Now don't quote me again if you have nothing better to say.

Back
Top Bottom