What's new

Egypt | Army Ousts Mursi govt, violence erupts | News & Discussions

This has been the tactic of the losers, who dominate the internet and media, from day ONE: to portray Morsi and his supporters as "Islamists" or radical Muslims.

Well Morsi comes from an Islamist party, so would portraying him as one be wrong?

@Aeronaut
I'm sorry but I can't take the word scumbags anymore.

IraniMale is a hypocrite. Condemned killing and blabla yet still doesn't realize what his govts are doing in the ME. Hypocrites should all rot in hell

Last edited by a moderator:
And some English signs must mean that..they're pro west, doing Americas bidding

No, it means that the protesters have an international audience in mind -- the propaganda was set in motion to set the stage for a military coup.

Well that didn't stop you from grouping the gang rapes with the "pro democracy" and "pro western" crowd in another thread

Clearly, you missed the point I was making: that, if this had been the reverse situation, everybody would be talking of "evil Muslims" who can't accept democracy or women's rights. The rapes would have been used to de-legitimize the protesters.

People often mix up religion with politics, democracy with intolerance, and patience with suffering.

The Egyptian people baned into the street with greater number than anti-Mubarak protests. Seemingly, they're fed up with the MB, they spoke their word and their voice is being heard.

That is all fine except they should have waited until the next elections to do so. Now if the next government does not perform will the people hit the streets again year to year? :lol:

What of the MB now? You think they will even bother contesting elections after this, not likely they will instead turn to other means.

What I found most interesting going through the Article is, unless I've trouble comprehending, how it was stated that many of them (the Islamists) consider Democracy as Kufar & want to bring about an Islamic State through violence, in a clear cut allusion to the Islamists under question - Morsi & the Muslim Brotherhood. When it clearly appears that the author is either oblivious to or deliberately wishes to ignore the very real fact that the Muslim Brotherhood has always stood for the 'democratic process' whereby they've reiterated their desire to get their agenda institutionalized through the ballot. The few instances of 'violence' that has happened in the past, that can be attributed to them, is inconsequential when compared with what most of 'our' Political Parties have been up to in Karachi, in an entire year, for decades at a stretch.

Heck even the most Liberal or Secularist Elements in Pakistan agree to the fact that of all Parties in Pakistan's Political Capacity; only the Jamaat-i-Islami has had regular free & fair internal elections. No matter how much I may disagree with their interpretation of Political Islamic Paradigms, I could at least have the intellectual honesty of calling a spade a spade instead of going on an incessant vitriol on the mere mention of a Molvi Sahib talking about Politics.

We are - as a society - socially redundant in this case, across the board, that its very hard for us to accept an opposing view & respect it without having a vein in our temple burst because 'I'm right' & the other person must be an absolute 'idiot' for not seeing 'how right' I am. And this really does happens across the board - Islamists, Secularists, Moderates, Nationalists - You name it & we most probably do it !

That is because Buttsahib you missed what the author meant. The author meant that the MB despite many of their members considering democracy kuffar won power through democracy and now that they have been forcibly removed despite that they will see that they system many of them loathe is not for them and will instead use violence if they feel threatened. Go back and read it again.

Yes, Morsi was democratically elected, but let just wait and see what the new election will come up with.

New election will bring MB back to power. But the new election inevitably will be stage managed to thwart the popular will of the people.

Obama says overthrow of Mohamed Morsi will prompt review of aid programmes, including 20% of Egyptian military budget

The Obama administration hopes to use encourage a swift return to civilian rule in Egypt by threatening to withdraw $1.3bn in foreign aid if the generals are judged to have led a military coup under legal definitions set by Congress.

Barack Obama has declared that "relevant departments and agencies" in Washington will review the implications for US foreign assistance programmes to Egypt, in light of the overthrow of President Morsi. An estimated 20% of Egypt's military budget is provided by the US.

Under the terms of Foreign Operations Appropriations law enacted each year by Congress, the US government is prohibited from giving aid to "the government of any country whose duly elected head of government is deposed by military coup d'état or decree or … a coup d'état or decree in which the military plays a decisive role"

But Washington officials have been very careful not to describe Wednesday's events in Egypt in precisely such terms yet – leaving open the possibility they may use any power sharing by the generals in Cairo as an excuse not to trigger the clause.

"We now call on the Egyptian military to move quickly and responsibly to return full authority back to a democratically elected civilian government as soon as possible through an inclusive and transparent process, and to avoid any arbitrary arrests of President Morsi and his supporters," said President Obama in a statement on Wednesday night.

"During this uncertain period, we expect the military to ensure that the rights of all Egyptian men and women are protected, including the right to peaceful assembly, due process, and free and fair trials in civilian courts. In the interim, I urge all sides to avoid violence and come together to ensure the lasting restoration of Egypt's democracy."

Speaking earlier on Wednesday, in response to preliminary reports that Morsi had been placed under house arrest, the State Department struck a similarly cautious note – stressing much depended on the "choices" taken by the Egyptian military.

"There's general legislation applicable to any country to which we provide assistance as a part of the appropriations bill that takes a close look at this," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "With respect to the ongoing situation in Egypt, it's premature to suggest that we have taken steps, we're thinking about taking steps. I'm not going to get ahead of, of course, events on the ground, but clearly assessments would be made based on the facts on the ground and choices made by all parties, if needed."

Some congressional leaders have already stated that the military overthrow of Morsi is a clear violation of the US foreign aid rules. Senator Patrick Leahy said: "Egypt's military leaders say they have no intent or desire to govern, and I hope they make good on their promise. In the meantime, our law is clear: US aid is cut off when a democratically elected government is deposed by military coup or decree."

But many Republicans are likely to support administration attempts to maintain close ties to the new regime in Cairo. The Pentagon has also said that defense secretary Chuck Hagel has "maintained close contact" with his counterpart, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, throughout the current crisis.

The principle of not funding military coup leaders has often been loosely observed, as lists of US support for armed insurrections around the world make clear, but it has been used in recent years to temporarily block aid to Mauritania, Mali, Madagascar and Pakistan.

US hopes to use aid as incentive for Egypt generals to restore democracy | World news | guardian.co.uk

Well Morsi comes from an Islamist party, so would portraying him as one be wrong?

His portrayal would depend partly on his past actions but, more importantly, on his actions in office.

However, it does not mean that everyone who supports him is also an Islamist.

Like I wrote, I am not supporting Morsi or his policies, but I am supporting his right to serve out his full term as democratically elected by the Egyptian people. This move sets a very bad precedent for the nascent democratic movements in the Middle East. It tells people that, if they don't like the election results, they can throw loud tantrums in the streets until they get the government toppled.

Not everyone is a islamic khilafah zealot...beside most of the Egyptians are Muslim by name and atheist by practice.
Islamism is a failed venture which leads to death, decay and war.

Not true at all. I have travelled extensively in egypt. My overall impression is as with many Muslim country beyond the urban minority the overwhelming majority of the people are devout Muslim both in name and in deed.

\

I contribute the down fall of Morsi to imam Hussain~:P , shouldn't have gone against Hussain, whoever goes against him will be destroyed.

So judging from Iran's present condition today you admit your fellas went against Hussien?

New election will bring MB back to power. But the new election inevitably will be stage managed to thwart the popular will of the people.

It will be hilarious if they even bother to contest and ironic if they somehow win. :lol:

No, it means that the protesters have an international audience in mind -- the propaganda was set in motion to set the stage for a military coup.

Clearly, you missed the point I was making: that, if this had been the reverse situation, everybody would be talking of "evil Muslims" who can't accept democracy or women's rights. The rapes would have been used to de-legitimize the protesters.

Fair enough.

Yes, Morsi was democratically elected, but let just wait and see what the new election will come up with.
In the same fashion as Nazi's were democratically elected.

BREAKING NEWS:Reuters: Egyptian security forces arrest key member of Muslim Brotherhood near Libyan border

Not true at all. I have travelled extensively in egypt. My overall impression is as with many Muslim country beyond the urban minority the overwhelming majority of the people are devout Muslim both in name and in deed.

He is an atheist so what he says doesn't really have any truth in it but is instead his secret wet dream.

Egyptians are devout Muslims.

His portrayal would depend partly on his past actions but, more importantly, on his actions in office.

However, it does not mean that everyone who supports him is also an Islamist.

Like I wrote, I am not supporting Morsi or his policies, but I am supporting his right to serve out his full term as democratically elected by the Egyptian people. This move sets a very bad precedent for the nascent democratic movements in the Middle East. It tells people that, if they don't like the election results, they can throw loud tantrums in the streets until they get the government toppled.

Egypts problems cannot be solved in one year. For them to expect the MB to solve their problems in one year while the opposition hounded them throughout the year was over the top. The constitution the MB drew up was the icing on the top because they hardly had any support behind it. What I wonder however is if the Egyptian people will hit the streets once again when the next government fails to address all their concerns within a year and if the MB will stir up trouble in opposition like the current opposition did.

The nazi comparison has been repeated so often, dont see what the connection is. Also, did they bring in sharia?

Back
Top Bottom