What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
So, we basically co-invest in their prime project (J-35), but with the condition that we supply 33% of the fighter to all customers (be it PLAN, PLAAF, PAF, etc).

Never heard of J-35 before. Is that Chines' new 5th gen initiative?

It's better to buy J-10C or J1X with lease instead of any handicapped bird from west.

If Pakistan had the expertise in rebuilding Mirage fighter jets, i am wondering why Pakistan didn't build it's own version/copy of Mirage III/IV/V? Pakistan could have bought the blue print of Mirage from France but Pakistan choose not to invest in it. Could it be because of F-16 (purchase of 2nd hand F-16s, reliability and availability) purchase or Jf-17 project? It maybe too late to invest in Mirage planes since we are already building Jf-17 and AZM projects but I think we need a home grown Medium weight fighter to supplement both Jf-17 and AZM.

1) Light weight fighter JF-17 to replace A5, F7 and Mirage
2) Medium weight fighter to replace Mirage and F-16s
3) Heavy weight 5+ generation fighter for deep strike into enemy territory.

------------Mirage Battle Commander APPROVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, the PDF Version is what is uploaded on my YouTube Channel.

There is the Director's Cut :-) which I didn't add on the YouTube Channel 'cause I felt some guys wouldn't approve.

In that version at the end, where the image comes of the Mirage wrapped around the thorns (with a Rose) - an audio in the background says, "You Delta Boys are a bunch of undisciplined Cowboys". Its a quote from Black Hawk Down.

The version goes straight on my Hard Drive.

Pakistan's ability to build "new components and structures" for the Mirage is rather overblown. if they could, they would have made the wings brand new in Pakistan, rather buying 2nd hand used wings with questionable history from third parties and putting them onto the Mirages.. that is why I think PAC is not as mature in manufacturing of structures of the Mirage. Doing repairs, and replacements, yes.. building new.. no..

Well, the PDF Version is what is uploaded on my YouTube Channel.

There is the Director's Cut :-) which I didn't add on the YouTube Channel 'cause I felt some guys wouldn't approve.

In that version at the end, where the image comes of the Mirage wrapped around the thorns (with a Rose) - an audio in the background says, "You Delta Boys are a bunch of undisciplined Cowboys". Its a quote from Black Hawk Down.

The version goes straight on my Hard Drive.

Delta for life

If Pakistan had the expertise in rebuilding Mirage fighter jets, i am wondering why Pakistan didn't build it's own version/copy of Mirage III/IV/V? Pakistan could have bought the blue print of Mirage from France but Pakistan choose not to invest in it. Could it be because of F-16 (purchase of 2nd hand F-16s, reliability and availability) purchase or Jf-17 project? It maybe too late to invest in Mirage planes since we are already building Jf-17 and AZM projects but I think we need a home grown Medium weight fighter to supplement both Jf-17 and AZM.

Your dad's car mechanic rebuilds your dad's car engine---are yoiu expecting him to build the car engine and build a car now---?

Upgrading Mirages is what PAF have stuck with due to various factors, they never wanted to keep them that long, if they did then South Africa was able to provide required tech to rebuild them with zero airframe life.

Also India is upgrading Tejas to Medium category bird with structure changes which I think PAF also look into for JFT if they don't want off the shelf new fighter from abroad.

At the end PAF need a 4.++ Gen fighter to complement it's FGFA.

If the option is available, I'd rather roll AZM into the J-35 with an ironclad agreement with the Chinese to source 33%+ of that fighter from Pakistan in perpetuity.

Should a PLAAF and PLAN order of 1,000 come through, it would mean a lot of jobs, work and hard/foreign-currency returns for Pakistan. It would allow PAC to invest the proceeds back into R&D and building out its pool of experts, special projects, etc.

You can set-up a tender: The PAF will co-invest in an FGFA provided the principal or main partner agrees to our workshare and technology/R&D sharing requirements. It's the most realistic avenue for getting a FGFA earlier than later.

I don't know if the Chinese will agree to intentionally create a potential fault in their supply chain by relying on Pakistan. However, I don't think it's impossible: with deft and skillful diplomacy (like convincing China that it's stature in the world is tied to its integration into regional powers -- ala US and Japan/ROK), it's doable.

We can't do much about the engineering and industrial limitations in so little time, but the foreign relations and diplomacy domain is another ballgame. The latter can affect the former, and it's never too late to do a good job at it.

@Deino @aziqbal @JamD

Why stick with just China when with good diplomacy we can built FGFA like Gripen.

Get Turkey, China, Ukraine and UK on board, remember UK want partners in it's 6th gen bird and Pakistan can jump to that wagon in future if play it's card well.

Upgrading Mirages is what PAF have stuck with due to various factors, they never wanted to keep them that long, if they did then South Africa was able to provide required tech to rebuild them with zero airframe life.

Also India is upgrading Tejas to Medium category bird with structure changes which I think PAF also look into for JFT if they don't want off the shelf new fighter from abroad.

Why stick with just China when with good diplomacy we can built FGFA like Gripen.

Get Turkey, China, Ukraine and UK on board, remember UK want partners in it's 6th gen bird and Pakistan can jump to that wagon in future if play it's card well.

Both China and Turkey can help in new design for medium weight fighter jet.

The story of mirages can be summed up poetically in Aleem's shair
Kuch isq tha kuch majbori thee so main nay jewan haar diya.
Main kaisa zinda aadmi tha aik shaqs nay mujh ko mar diya
In short the Mirages are partly love and partly necessity brought out of lack of finances.
A

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom