What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
I say we should be switching from H2/H4 to the Raptor III.

I think the Raptor III design draws on the Tariq/Umbani tech. So, I do think the end-user can modularize shorter-ranged versions, e.g., a 120 km with rocket-booster (like H4) and a 60 km range glider (like H2). Basically all from one new platform that can fit under the wings of the JF-17.

However, we can go a step further and truly go next-gen. If we can at least develop a simple low-cost miniature turbojet engine at home, we could make 120 km / 60 km versions that can cruise. So now, the JF-17s can offer H2/H4-like capability, but with low-altitude launch.
I believe Pakistan has already obtained turbofan and turbojet wit all the IP.

I believe Pakistan has already obtained turbofan and turbojet wit all the IP.
Denel isn't marketing the Raptor III anymore, at least from what I recall. So, there's a chance, the PAF also got this project. Seriously, can you imagine if they did, and in 1-2 years they start deploying JF-17Bs for guided strikes (plus JF-17 Blk-1/2s with IREKs). I'd be at a loss (besides messing India mentally) on why we'd need to buy another jet if we can roll-out more JF-17Bs and Block-IIIs.

Denel isn't marketing the Raptor III anymore, at least from what I recall. So, there's a chance, the PAF also got this project. Seriously, can you imagine if they did, and in 1-2 years they start deploying JF-17Bs for guided strikes (plus JF-17 Blk-1/2s with IREKs). I'd be at a loss (besides messing India mentally) on why we'd need to buy another jet if we can roll-out more JF-17Bs and Block-IIIs.
Apart from Raptor III I would like Pakistan to obtain other smart weapons from SA, They have a very good lineup of PGM's that will enhance Pakistan strike package options further.

133191-08c364db0f3dc995a5257f7012dc6602.jpg

102178-c20a40f818f4c52ad72ede3b4cfd9ce0.jpg

109116-e7b3545797a311aeee64bf332e5c1f07.jpg

Some low observational drones

124883-3d8a161473e12b3d1692c8c3d7d7e20a.jpg

124884-bbf9a282219457652c10957770f4bc9e.jpg

Apart from Raptor III I would like Pakistan to obtain other smart weapons from SA, They have a very good lineup of PGM's that will enhance Pakistan strike package options further.

133191-08c364db0f3dc995a5257f7012dc6602.jpg

102178-c20a40f818f4c52ad72ede3b4cfd9ce0.jpg

109116-e7b3545797a311aeee64bf332e5c1f07.jpg

Some low observational drones

124883-3d8a161473e12b3d1692c8c3d7d7e20a.jpg

124884-bbf9a282219457652c10957770f4bc9e.jpg
The KPGM evolved into the Umbani, and the Umbani became the Tariq <-- UAE owns it.

That said, there might be a way to transfer the expertise that went into developing the Umbani/Tariq, and putting it towards the IREK-series. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptor III draws on the Tariq's technology too. If the PAF got (or chooses to get) the Raptor III, it should have access to Tariq tech too, and in time, the IREK could evolve into something like the Tariq/Umbani.

Al-Tariq_precision_guided_bomb_Tawazun_Denel_IDEX_2013_defence_exhibition_Abu_Dhabi_640_001.jpg

The KPGM evolved into the Umbani, and the Umbani became the Tariq <-- UAE owns it.

That said, there might be a way to transfer the expertise that went into developing the Umbani/Tariq, and putting it towards the IREK-series. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptor III draws on the Tariq's technology too. If the PAF got (or chooses to get) the Raptor III, it should have access to Tariq tech too, and in time, the IREK could evolve into something like the Tariq/Umbani.

Al-Tariq_precision_guided_bomb_Tawazun_Denel_IDEX_2013_defence_exhibition_Abu_Dhabi_640_001.jpg
Also, improved Tariq with 300km range or so might be being developed currently. South Africa export block my impede that though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2020K9

Also, UAE stole a lot of South African engineers at it's defense conglomerate. Checked LinkedIn and many are ex-Denel or ex South African defense employees.
Yep. But South Africa actually has an R&D base, especially at the STEM education level. It's a country -- much like Ukraine -- where you can find experts to teach and help lead R&D in Pakistan. Credit to the UAE for vision and the drive, let's hope Pakistan follows suit.

If PAF really want its Mirage fleet to be stay in the air for another 10 years they need to change the OLD UNDER-POWERED TURBOJET-------One of the Members asked me About the RD-93 to replace the ATAR 9 and At the time I pointed about some of the Issues but it struck me that the Diameters are similar (1000 mm for ATAR 9) & (1040mm for the RD-93). RD 93 is significantly shorter which will allow for the 'New Fuel system/plumbing' and/or extra space to carry more fuel

South Africa is one of our major defense partners and They have the Experience with this Engine conversion as they did it for the Mirage F-1 and flew it about 70 times.

It got me thinking that the main challenges would be the re plumbing required and testing of the Turbofan with mirage DSI.

Now I know Mirage is a real sloppy flier at low speeds low altitude and heavy weights but with this new engine: if opted (highly unlikely.......Like super unlikely) some of the mirage are due for GV.

BUT FOR GIGGLES.

Benefits that some with the Rd-93 upgrade

Extended range (deep strike missions).
More Load capacity.
Highly improved flight characteristics (delta design is a very stable design--- but you need an engine).
More reliable and safer power plant.
More efficient in terms of fuel consumption.
400 kg space freed for what ever you want.
Rd 93 g shorter allows you for a whopping 1601 mm of free space or 681.19 feet^3 (volume).

Thrust
Increase in thrust up to +30% (and we all know what that means)-----with current engine Mirage 3 with full PAY load has a 0.45kn and in Combat configuration 0.62kn. With Rd-93 full PAY load will have 0.635Kn and Combat configuration it will have around 0.82-0.88Kn.

BUT than again mirage ONLY has the ability to carry only the weapons---Like RAAD and/or Raptor which as we know the JF-17 cannot because of lack of ground clearance and we know that the JF-17 can carry more weight than the Mirage--------BUT than again Mirage will be useful for deep strike role and Limited Air to Air------trust me PAF will need bomber in the future against India.

Cheers.

On a side note Say good bye to the new fighter thing.

I say we should be switching from H2/H4 to the Raptor III.

I think the Raptor III design draws on the Tariq/Umbani tech. So, I do think the end-user can modularize shorter-ranged versions, e.g., a 120 km with rocket-booster (like H4) and a 60 km range glider (like H2). Basically all from one new platform that can fit under the wings of the JF-17.

However, we can go a step further and truly go next-gen. If we can at least develop a simple low-cost miniature turbojet engine at home, we could make 120 km / 60 km versions that can cruise. So now, the JF-17s can offer H2/H4-like capability, but with low-altitude launch.
Yes----Let the H2/H4 to be JF-17's Business.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom