What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
This news makes little to no sense to me personally. Carrying 1 missile on a centerline hard point is bonkers esp on an aircraft with only 5 hard points.
Only redeeming thing I see is that it's not an operational thing but more of a R&D move mating the Chinese missile with a European radar.
What is also interesting is that only Mirages with ROSE-I upgrade were the 3Os from Australia and they are quiet old airframes. There is no information on whether the fewer (but newer) airframes acquired from Lebanon etc have been upgraded at all.
Overall I think it's useful capability to have in the short term while you have the missiles in inventory and 30 odd jets that can use a BVR missile before they are replaced by JF-17.
A valid question is why wasn't this option taken up 15-20 years ago when you had the same Mirages with Grifo M and missiles options

@PanzerKiel yaar pic tau banti hay...
Artist's impression :p
1643752492550.png

This news makes little to no sense to me personally. Carrying 1 missile on a centerline hard point is bonkers esp on an aircraft with only 5 hard points.
Only redeeming thing I see is that it's not an operational thing but more of a R&D move mating the Chinese missile with a European radar.
What is also interesting is that only Mirages with ROSE-I upgrade were the 3Os from Australia and they are quiet old airframes. There is no information on whether the fewer (but newer) airframes acquired from Lebanon etc have been upgraded at all.
Overall I think it's useful capability to have in the short term while you have the missiles in inventory and 30 odd jets that can use a BVR missile before they are replaced by JF-17.
A valid question is why wasn't this option taken up 15-20 years ago when you had the same Mirages with Grifo M and missiles options
Valid points. I wasn't expecting this if this is indeed true.

It MIGHT be an attempt to utilize JF-17 stocks of SD-10s since they are most likely to switch over to PL-15s. It might just be Mirages carrying SD-10s and firing them in active mode to be a nuisance to the enemy. That too has limited value in my opinion so I don't know.

So can the SD10A be only equipped to the center pylon or can it be equipped onto the other 4?
I have no idea I just made a pretty picture on paint.

Valid points. I wasn't expecting this if this is indeed true.

It MIGHT be an attempt to utilize JF-17 stocks of SD-10s since they are most likely to switch over to PL-15s. It might just be Mirages carrying SD-10s and firing them in active mode to be a nuisance to the enemy. That too has limited value in my opinion so I don't know.

I have no idea I just made a pretty picture on paint.
Wilco

SD10 had been successfully integrated on the belly hardpoint of Mirage ROSE 1. Congrats to all. Mirages have become BVR capable now .
If possible could you comment why it is integrated only on under fuselage hardpoint ... secondly is there any technical reason why underwing inner hardpoints could not carry SD-10

I think Pak has taken 02-26 to 02-28 events way more seriously than the Indians had anticipated. Now, even the 50 years old Mirages are being made BVR capable! What will they do to the younger platforms?? It's quite a message to India and her masters...

SD10 had been successfully integrated on the belly hardpoint of Mirage ROSE 1. Congrats to all. Mirages have become BVR capable now .
Technically Mirage was always BVR capable. Cyrano radar equipped MIII carried Matra 530 SARG missile on center pylon. One was actually fired in 1971 against a SU-7 or a Hunter but pilot had to break radar lock before the missile can hit the target.

Last edited:
I will take this question further. Why invest in dead platform??
Expendable airframe, or rather one that isn't high on operational readiness requirements and thus can be taken out of flying to mess around with?
Could also just be a pilot program to test and validate things as well as train engineers for future programs under AZM.
I would take this as a test program instead of anything operationally viable. Then the investment/$ spent can be justified.

If this is indeed operationalized, you have SD-10 on center, 2 WVR AAMs on wingtips. That is not a bad option for air defence roles. These Mirages probably have 5 years of service left before they are replaced by JF-17s so all in all, a decent stop-gap measure. Plus this would be the most potent Mirage III in the world!

If this is indeed operationalized, you have SD-10 on center, 2 WVR AAMs on wingtips. That is not a bad option for air defence roles. These Mirages probably have 5 years of service left before they are replaced by JF-17s so all in all, a decent stop-gap measure. Plus this would be the most potent Mirage III in the world!
inthis case I see change of role for Rose-I Mirage fleet they might act as intercepter with this load.

Back
Top Bottom