What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
not, if turkey and pakistan combine are giving UK a big slice of money
you are forgetting that this will be potentially a lot of billions of dollars..
so far England is not under India influence only France and Germany are tough on us
in the past we have shown that we wont share tech with china..s that is never the issue..
issue is india..
UK is not under EU too they are separate entity

I dont know why but PAF has not gone for J31 AT ALL. Initially we thought it was a case of the Chinese expecting us to fork out money to co fund the development. But even then we have not seen much progress on J31 so fat. Sure there are rumors that a new naval variant is on the way but in reality nothing much has gone on. So one wonders what actually is going on with that project. Hold up on an appropriate engine:seems to be a big hurdle butthere is something more tuan that. The second big question .ark is whether the Chinese will actually allow you offsets on their pet projects but rather that you remained a client state.
With Turkey again we see a lot of showmanship but there are big question marks over engines and where it is going to source them from. The two contenders are EU and US both of which would be reluctant to have their products being ssold to Pakistan. So unless there is credible information on progress in the engine manufacturing sector Turkish projects are risky. So the next qnd most important question is where is Pakistan going to source its engines from.
A

The FC-31 not coming is a blessing in disguise. It's a half baked orphaned stealth design which even the Chinese airforce wont procure. If you buy the J-31 you run the risk of ending up with an aircraft that no other airforce may buy. That alone is a deal breaker.

What about its adaptation into PLAN's carrier based fighter, you say? Remember that FC-31 flew in October 2012, and it has been 9 years and we have yet to see the prototype of the naval stealth fighter. I think it is difficult to believe the Chinese navy will re-use a 'modified' 10 year old design which got rejected back then. There is every likelihood the naval stealth fighter (J-35?) will be a new clean sheet design, far superior to the FC-31. So better to wait for this airplane to show up, get inducted by the PLAN, and then try to procure it.

This means waiting for ~2025 or later. By then the picture with the Turkish TFX project will also be much more clear, and it is possible the Turks can offer a viable alternative.

I also think it is a mistake to try to indigenize/TOT either the TFX or the chinese plane. The domestic program (Azm) should be completely separate. A clean sheet program will allow complete freedom to choose subsystems and suppliers. A semi 5th generation (like KFX) low cost fighter that is affordable and can be procured in numbers, the same priorities that made the Thunder a success.

So yes, i'm suggesting two 5th gen programs within the next 15-20 years. Similar to how the F-16 Block 52 and JF-17 procurements happened.

Last edited:
But theior products are very expensive

There will always be a problem, political will, expense etc. Yes, UK kit is high end but quality. Also the opportunity for joint ventures is there. UK is embarking on very ambitious Tempest Fighter programme, PAC can benefit from a lot of their design experience here. Only question is being sensitive to UK concerns about knowledge transfer to China

Feel Rafiqi to me

It's been there since a while... Kamra

upload_2020-8-21_14-36-56.png

Back
Top Bottom