What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
According to ... paf aar pilot was followed by modifying ~xx number of mirages

I am assuming these were all modernised / modified mirages

Now jf has joined as well at least starting 2p-029 onwards

Last edited:
Nothing, last question i asked response was some hitches.

Speculation - knowing how EAF is, someone or many there are still waiting to get envelopes before they let them go.
I don't think we are in any rush to acquire them either. Although we should be, considering the war with gangadesh is on the horizon. The sooner we acquire them and put them in service the better.

52 year old veteran. From the first batch of IIIDP's delivered in 67/68.
http://falcons.pk/photo/Dassault-Mirage-IIIEP/2380

Photo-2380.jpg
Mirage 5DR, Ex-Libyan. Ome of the 4 or 5 put into service together with a similar number of 5DD's.

Anyone who has been to Korangi Creek or can find out what these two Mirages are? They are both instructional airframes missing engines, seats or cockpit instrumentation but I am curious to know if which variant these are and if the serial numbers can be verified? @airomerix @waz @Knuckles @Windjammer
The first grey one looks like a Mirage 5D (of the dozens of ex-Libyan examples we bought in 2004) while the rear one could be any of the old PAF or other Mirages we have had in inventory. Can also see the tail of an F-6 in the back.
The image is from passing out parade a year or two ago perhaps.

upload_2019-12-28_18-0-23.png

In order to replace 200+ PAF Mirages operational in its fleet require replacement and there are several options available which can be considered at the moment:
1. 40 EF-2000s (with KSA support & also JAS-39 is not available / IAF already have Rafael)
2. 40-60 SU-35 from Russia.
3. 40-60 SU-57 from Russia.

If a deal can be made this year will mean that they will be going to be delivered until 2025 to PAF.

In order to replace 200+ PAF Mirages operational in its fleet require replacement and there are several options available which can be considered at the moment:
1. 40 EF-2000s (with KSA support & also JAS-39 is not available / IAF already have Rafael)

If a deal can be made this year will mean that they will be going to be delivered until 2025 to PAF.

There is no 200 plus fleet to begin with

End of Story ;)

Twin engines apart from capex heavy are also opex heavy. This is specially true for russian fighters that are cheaper to procure but are opex heavy and cost much more in the long run (with overhauling of aircrafts/engines).

I would like 2 Sqds of SU-35/Chinese Eq for naval role but I think that we should not procure twin engined jets in that many numbers (as you stated) because we are a defensive air force and not an expeditionary one.

It would be better choice to go for a single engined ones like J-10s in limited numbers (2 SQDs) and back them up with land based stand off weapons/cruise missiles of various ranges.

Why spend 4 B $ plus on 2 SQDs of heavies when you can spend 2-2.5 B on lighter jets and use the remaining 1-1.5 B $ to have an inventory of 1000+ cruise missiles.

Look at the recent strike by iranians on the saudi oil facility. They don't have a very modern standing fleet but they used out of the box thinking and used long range drones and cruise missiles.

It is wiser and cheaper to have a large inventory of land based cruise missiles/stand off weapons so that remaining budgetary allocation can be used for purchasing relevant assets to ensure theater level air superiority.

Why would we want Typhoons? They have supply chain issues with spares and parts. Just look at Germany's fleet. Out of 138(i think) there are only a handful that are combat ready, i think it was 2 the last time i read. The numbers may not be 100% accurate but they are indicative of a major issue with the supply chain of the aircraft. Imagine having a $100 million+ paperweight.

Back
Top Bottom