What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

Don't get offended, I mean they taste way too different. It's not the same thing. People should exprience both to understand, but telling people that it's a copy, rebrand is ignorance.

Should I call Starbucks a Turkish coffee house?

"Turkish coffee culture had reached Italy, Britain and France by the mid to late 17th century. The first coffee house in Britain was opened by a Turkish Jew in the mid 17th century."

There is a small difference and nothing else. Turkish coffee derives from Arabic coffee. Turks learned to drink coffee from Arabs. Turks and almost all of the world imported coffee from Arabia for centuries until Europeans (Spanish and Portuguese) spread coffee to South America. Later it spread to other parts of the world.

Do you know that this coffee was called Arabica coffee? Coffee grows naturally in Arabia, not in Turkey.

There are many more different ways of making Arabic coffee than Turkish coffee. Arabians have a much bigger/deeper coffee culture than Turks. This is hardly a secret.

Turks on the other hand have a bigger tradition of consuming alcohol (an Arabic word) such as beer and raki than Arabs have nowadays, lol. Make such a claim and nobody will dispute you.

@ArabianEmpires&Caliphates @Nilgiri

These are some of the comment I bring from Youtube comment about how is the frustration of Indonesian on their Senior Football National Team :D

U16 : avangers
U19 : power ranger
U23 : fantastice four
Senior : teletubies

U16 : Lambo
U19 : Porsche
U23 : Ferrari
Senior : bajaj

U16: Khalifah Abu Bakar
U19: Khalifah Umar
U23: Khalifah Turki Utsmani
Senior: Dajjal

U 16 = THOR
U 19 = SPIDERMAN
U 23 = IRON MAN
SENIOR = NOBITA

I am dying.:lol:

Dajjal, haha.

What is Nobita?

I ended up in the hospital from Turkish coffee, the doctor prescribed me Arabic coffee as a cure. Since then I kept to Arabic coffee.

:rofl:

That is encouraging to hear brother. I love the outdoors as well and have been fishing, hunting, hiking, exploring nature (mountains, deserts, marine life - yachting, skiing etc.) since a young age so I can relate.
Too many interests from my part and too little time.

I remember you talking about a ceramic (correct me if I am wrong?) business where you made your own stuff? Recall you posting some of your works here. Very cool. A family member of mine is a painter and artist (as a hobby of hers but she has been selling some of her works in the Arab world and the West) and I always loved art myself. Once I fully establish myself (still young), I will start collecting art and antiques as it runs in the family.
I can imagine that you share a similar interest.

That's great that you remembered that. I think @Khafee was also part of that discussion, speaking of another awesome Arab member who left this place for good.

It was realistic life-size wildfowl carving/sculpture, but I specialized strictly in birds of prey. I had posted this piece because I knew falconry is big is Saudiya and the Emirates and much of the Arab world, so I figured it would be more interesting to you.

This was it, a life-size white-phase Arctic gyrflacon. Made out of tupelo wood and a lot of power-carving and grinding to shape and then a burning pen for all the detail and artist oil paint to bring it to life as much as possible. This one did pretty well in competitions and sold really fast and well. But it did take over 400 hours, not including the research time involved.

93283340.s44vTqBv.080127gomaa23.JPG

93283332.fL0PsOTP.080127gomaa1.JPG

93283348.WBegMaW7.080127gomaa7.JPG

Currently working on this life-size red tailed hawk but have been on a standstill for a while because of work etc., but I do need to finish it so I can start on a possible commission for either a life-size bald eagle or golden eagle in a rather dramatic pose. Looking forward to that, if it materializes ISA.

lO0itFw.jpg

GGWfGLS.jpg

I see that brother @Gomig-21 (rightly) prefers to stick to topics related to Egyptian defense related developments (from what I have seen so far after his return) rather than involve himself in the political topics or general topic. Whenever a thread is made about the Egyptian army or a new military deal, 90% of the posts are not technical in nature or geopolitical but "Arabs this and that", "How, I thought that Egypt is bankrupt", "incompetent something", "Israel something", "KSA/GCC funding something" and you know the usual drivel.

I'm too old to be fighting with delinquents on forums now loool! Been there and done that for years and years and frankly, it's a waste of time and energy since no matter what you say to these clowns, you're not going to change their minds and they'll still continue to hate what your country is doing or its government or regime etc., especially on this forum where there's a large percentage of people from other countries that are loyal to the main ones that are conflicting with ours. This adds to the problem and so you end up taking on a much larger group which is nothing but futile, IMO. I do enjoy reading some of the back & forth and especially when you bring out the big guns LOL! It's always a great read, bro. You and @The SC are really a treasure here.

From a copy to small difference which isn't true again. Whatever makes you happy :D

Just a name change and a slight modification. Nothing more and nothing less. The parent (Arabic coffee) is well-known. No offense, every informed person is well aware of this reality. It should not really be seen as a problem for you, lol.

In fact to make you happy I can claim that coffee was invented in Turkey, not Arabia, that the name coffee is of Turkish origin and not Arabic origin as is otherwise well established, that coffee grows naturally in Turkey and not Arabia and that Turks taught Arabs how to drink coffee and first cultivated it, not the Arabs as otherwise occurred. Anyway I don't care, people can live in their own parallel universe for all I care where historical facts and ground realities do not exist.:D

That's great that you remembered that. I think @Khafee was also part of that discussion, speaking of another awesome Arab member who left this place for good.

It was realistic life-size wildfowl carving/sculpture, but I specialized strictly in birds of prey. I had posted this piece because I knew falconry is big is Saudiya and the Emirates and much of the Arab world, so I figured it would be more interesting to you.

This was it, a life-size white-phase Arctic gyrflacon. Made out of tupelo wood and a lot of power-carving and grinding to shape and then a burning pen for all the detail and artist oil paint to bring it to life as much as possible. This one did pretty well in competitions and sold really fast and well. But it did take over 400 hours, not including the research time involved.

Currently working on this life-size red tailed hawk but have been on a standstill for a while because of work etc., but I do need to finish it so I can start on a possible commission for either a life-size bald eagle or golden eagle in a rather dramatic pose. Looking forward to that, if it materializes ISA.

lO0itFw.jpg

GGWfGLS.jpg

I'm too old to be fighting with delinquents on forums now loool! Been there and done that for years and years and frankly, it's a waste of time and energy since no matter what you say to these clowns, you're not going to change their minds and they'll still continue to hate what your country is doing or its government or regime etc., especially on this forum where there's a large percentage of people from other countries that are loyal to the main ones that are conflicting with ours. This adds to the problem and so you end up taking on a much larger group which is nothing but futile, IMO. I do enjoy reading some of the back & forth and especially when you bring out the big guns LOL! It's always a great read, bro. You and @The SC are really a treasure here.

I remembered it because as I recall it, the work of yours that you showed, was absolutely stunning. Hence it stuck in my memory. Take that as a praise.
I agree. I don't know why Khafee was banned. Noticed it not long ago.
Falconry is indeed an ancient tradition (practiced in ancient Egypt too) and a very beautiful tradition shared in many parts of the world. Falcons are majestic creatures as well.
Your work is absolutely stunning. May I ask how you discovered your talent? By chance? Fascinating stuff.
Insha'Allah it will, looks amazing.
I am clueless on this front but do you think that such skills can be learned by the average person? I liked doing woodwork as a child but all I amounted to was making a baseball bat and chopping boards and that was in school.
Well, the funny/tragicomical thing is, that I am well aware of your advice yet I still do it from time to time. Much less than previously, luckily. We all get older yet I am probably much younger than you but that is no excuse.

Thanks for the praise brother, lol, but I rather safe my time when it occurs but I know the drivel now in and out so replying to the nonsense is rather easy.
Anyway this "problem" would have been taken care of by the old vibrant Arab community here on PDF. In any case as we discussed earlier, this will be a problem for those that succeed us if anyone will even succeed us, lol.

Anyway wishing you and your loved ones a blessed Eid once again, a good health and the fulfillment of your works/projects.

By all means ask questions as you like, its good place to interact more casual/relaxed (coffee shop afterall) here...away from the constant overbearing noise/drama in other parts of forum

Its actually somewhat similar to arab situation (when you have immediate neighbouring arab countries...say KSA and yemen...or say algeria and tunisia etc).

Their language is Tamil, but a somewhat different (overall) dialect compared to us mainlanders. They have sub-dialects within their island (in rough geographic patterns as northern, eastern, western (colombo) and central/southern...arguably for them the northern dialect is the "prestige" dialect given the presence of the main historical tamil cultural hub on the island i.e Jaffna).

We similarly have sub dialects too (again largely sub-regionally oriented). The most extreme different sub dialect in one to the most extreme different one in the other would still (especially in these days) be able to understand 70% or more I would think (and can find bridges to get to 100% with little effort). More regular dialect you understand 100% from get go....of course you would likely immediately know the speaker's origins.

Culturally everything is broadly the same, as there is lot of variety within TN state (on mainland) to begin with. Similarly we understand malayalis quite easily (esp with some training/interaction) and vice versa....though we cannot really speak each other language without learning it. The split between our two languages is overall pretty recent compared to the other southern languages (Kannada and Telugu).

Ceylon Tamils overall tend to be more conservative on lot of matters (and more liberal/socially mobile in others)....in many ways their language keeps lot of the very old Tamil we no longer use in mainland. Similar in many respects to Quebec French vs Mainland French today.

Lot of this has interplay with written Tamil being quite different language to spoken Tamil too. (I believe Arabic is somewhat the same situation)...and how much of the "written language" is also used for "official" and "colloquial" spoken (this varies and gives one major input to the basic variety in dialects).

Yes a number were, it shaped lot of politics in mainland TN as well....even exerting pressure federally at times (Indira Gandhi for example had a local political ally in TN that she could not abandon, and this shaped India's federal support regrettably to the Tamil Tigers in late 70s and early 80s initially till that splintered and blew back on everyone collective faces later which is long story of itself).

The sentimental reason had its play (but also lot of detractors who felt it was none of our business) in greater population as well. But it started losing critical support among the (previously sympathetic+interested) TN mainlanders during the 90s, esp after the assassination of rajiv gandhi and continued blatant terrorist actions by the tamil tigers.

"Moors" are very interesting people for sure. They are part of the larger aegis of Muslim Tamils who have co-existed with larger Tamil culture for many centuries now.

For example on our side of the palk strait....one of the most famous religious songs (enjoyed by all Tamil people of all faiths) is by the Muslim singer Nagore Hanifa (The song lyrics roughly are about extending your hand to Allah, and he will give). The Nagore dargah (on east coast Tamil Nadu) rightfully holds a very esteemed place in Tamil overall culture.

Similarly when I listen to the Sri Lankan Moor devotional songs (from what I have come across so far), I am also very easily able to understand the message...they follow similar themes and musical aesthetics. They really are a broader community in Tamil culture as a whole.

@Joe Shearer @Gibbs and @Chhatrapati might have some stuff to add/correct here. @Naofumi @BL33D might find some interest in this post too.

Goans are "konkani" mostly. There are some Tamils there, but not very many...mostly recent immigrants to the area. There are some kannadigas and marathis too (being bordering states of Goa).

The konkani are people like @jbgt90 ...very nice, easy going folks overall.

One of my best friends from middle school times was a Konkani....catholic boy...with portuguese name and everything.
Sure you are not talking about me ? i have a very long catholic Portuguese name , Which was shortened by me when i turned 21 :lol:

There are 3 distinct Muslim groups on the island

Do we, out of interest, have rough split in % between these 3 groups (by total muslim population of SL)?

Sure you are not talking about me ? i have a very long catholic Portuguese name , Which was shortened by me when i turned 21 :lol:

LOL....seems a common thing for you lot.

In interest of keeping my good friend's privacy, his initials for full name were:

M P D J F V (and I might be missing one or two lol) .... though we just would use the M and V for regular use (i.e first and last name...though his real real first name was kinda M and P together hyphenated).

Do we, out of interest, have rough split in % between these 3 groups (by total muslim population of SL)?

In interest of keeping my good friend's privacy, his initials for full name were:

M D P J F V (and I might be missing one or two lol) .... though we just would use the M and V for regular use (i.e first and last name).

In Spain and Portugal the child adopts the surnames of both of his parents. Additionally there is an old tradition of adopting many middle names, usually names of Catholic Saints and names running in the family.

Similarly Arabic names (at least many of us) are very long, I personally use a double surname (formally) and a bunch of middle names. Often those traditions run in the family and connected with the lineage.

That's incredible work @Gomig-21 . :tup:

Indeed. Fantastic stuff. @Gomig-21 should make consider some ancient Egyptian motives/characters also if possible and motives from around the Arab world.

Last edited:
U16 : Lambo
U19 : Porsche
U23 : Ferrari
Senior : bajaj

Good, senior is best then haha. @Joe Shearer

lO0itFw.jpg

GGWfGLS.jpg

Tom Brady poster LMAO.

You are a very skilled person my friend, kudos to you. I remember you posting these and also your fascination with birds of prey (out in wildlife) before too.

M P D J F V (and I might be missing one or two lol) .... though we just would use the M and V for regular use (i.e first and last name...though his real real first name was kinda M and P together hyphenated).[/QUOTE
My initials were J B N D S R D P G , as you can imagine not able to fit on any certificate.

Thank you for your contribution. From what I have read the Sri Lankan Moors are called "Moors" due to their Islamic faith not due to any connection to Morocco. That also seems highly improbable given the geography, recorded history that we know of etc. The Arabs that have been settling, interaction with local populations and controlling/engaging in trade in the Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean region were all mostly from Arabia proper.
Most of the Arab-descended communities in South Asia, Swahili coastline (itself an Arabic name), Comoros, Horn of Africa, South East Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia - the Arab-Indonesian community numbers some 5 million people - only the Chinese have a similar presence in Indonesia in terms of numbers as an outside group) were originally from KSA (Hijaz), Yemen, Oman etc. Anyway this community has always intrigued me. Maybe if I encounter a Sri Lankan Moor one day, I will get more answers from the direct source.

Oh for sure.. I dont think they imply Sri Lankan Moors have mainly North African heritage given the circumstances and geographical proximity to the Arabs from the Gulf, It's just a Sinhalese (Main language on the island) colloquial for Moors, Probably stemming from perhaps few of the first ever arrivals thousands of years ago may have had North African origins or due to famous visitors like Ibn Batuta etc.. Arabic name for Ceylon was Serendib (Maybe Persian as well) from which derived the word Serendipity

I dont think there is a real consensus done on this because since Ceylon became a republic in 72' all Muslims excluding the Malays have been categorized as Sri Lankan Moor but i reckon by personal experience about 70% are of South Indian origin, Malays 10%

Your work is absolutely stunning. May I ask how you discovered your talent? By chance? Fascinating stuff.
Insha'Allah it will, looks amazing.
I am clueless on this front but do you think that such skills can be learned by the average person?

Thank you, my brother. Yes, anyone can learn this kind of thing. Only 2 factors matter: 1) you must have an unwavering interest in the art & its craft work and 2) you must put in the time to develop your skills without giving up easily because there are a lot of frustrations that come up in the early phases that one can easily give up. You have to be able to fight through those frustrations.

How I got started was about 25+ years ago, I knew I was always interested in sculpture of some sorts since I was a kid, I just didn't know what medium or subject matter exactly until I was taking a walk with my wife in our old neighborhood and she noticed a chainsaw carving of a bear standing up in someone's front yard. I took a look at that and I was hooked! The next day I went out and bought some chisels and a small bock of wood (mind you I had already been in the construction business for about 8 years or so and so I had experience working with wood and saws etc.) I went back to that house, knocked on the door and when the homeowner answered, I asked him if it was ok to take some pictures of the bear and draw it etc. He said sure, have at it. A week later I had carved the exact duplicate of the bear but only 18" tall. The chainsaw one was about 4ft tall lol. That's when I knew I had a strong interest in wildlife sculpture. Next bear came out even better and I had added more character to it. Then I went out and bought a bunch of books and more tools and looking through one book of different types of sculptures, I saw one of an osprey landing on a tree branch and that was it! My previously unknown fascination of birds of prey along with the enjoyment of carving blended together ended up being a perfect match. The rest is history!

That's incredible work @Gomig-21 . :tup:

Thanks my brother! I hope your Ramadan has gone well InshaAllah.

Indeed. Fantastic stuff. @Gomig-21 should make consider some ancient Egyptian motives/characters also if possible and motives from around the Arab world.

I have. I've done a few sketches of some ancient Egyptian themes along with falcons perched on them, just never got around to doing them.....yet! The thing is, it's VERY EASY to come up with many great ideas, but each one of these takes a tremendous amount of time that your ideas stack up easily before they come to fruition! lol

Tom Brady poster LMAO.

You are a very skilled person my friend, kudos to you. I remember you posting these and also your fascination with birds of prey (out in wildlife) before too.

Thanks, ma man. I'm surprised you picked the Tom Brady poster more than busting my balls about CNN being on the tele, LOL! :enjoy: He did win us 6 super bowls after all. I've also met him on several occasions. Great guy as every one knows.

@Gomig-21

Your post reminded me of this 30 + year old fantastic documentary that I once watched. I can highly recommend it.

Very enjoyable. I considered taking the falconry class and becoming one, but it's way too demanding and I would never be able to add that lifestyle commitment to my schedule. The rules and conditions here in the US are also SUPER strict and you basically have to practically devote your entire life to the birds you own. It's a tremendous obligation.

But that video is great. The Saker is well known with Arab falconers as it's also a migrant species which makes it even better as a choice. The arctic gyrflalcon, while it really shouldn't be succumbed to the heat and temperatures of the Arab deserts is still revered among Arab falconers. The problem is that because of its rarity, it demands a very high price. Most who end up buying one of them can pay up to $100,000 for a single bird. I'm hoping someday they will settle for a nice carving of one of them! :tup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom