What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

Nope, I had nice chat with a Syrian :)

I just looked it up and apparently that it is how Syrians make it, this is how everyone else makes as that one looks like spinach, lol :

maxresdefault.jpg

I just looked it up and apparently that it is how Syrians make it, this is how everyone else makes as that one looks like spinach, lol :

maxresdefault.jpg

And this is the way true molokheya is supposed to be made. If it isn't soupy, gluey, gooey and oily it's not Egyptian/Phalastini true Molokheya. They do their own thing in the Sham, between El Souriyeen and El Lubnaniyeen by trying to get all swhingy wangy and stuff. This is true molokheya that sticks to the top of your mouth. :tup:

And this is the way true molokheya is supposed to be made. If it isn't soupy, gluey, gooey and oily it's not Egyptian/Phalastini true Molokheya. They do their own thing in the Sham, between El Souriyeen and El Lubnaniyeen by trying to get all swhingy wangy and stuff. This is true molokheya that sticks to the top of your mouth. :tup:
As long as it tastes good :), let us say amen and put bread in and eat well; this is a great pleasure to add to regular spinach. What we do also is mix it up with chicken gizzards - makes it so unique or add some mince from chicken or guinea fowl; that takes it to new heights as a soup.

I would describe the taste of molokheya as a bamiya (same word in swahili and believe it or not in greek as well) but in spinach texture.

As long as it tastes good :), let us say amen and put bread in and eat well; this is a great pleasure to add to regular spinach. What we do also is mix it up with chicken gizzards - makes it so unique or add some mince from chicken or guinea fowl; that takes it to new heights as a soup.

Very cool. Yeah, we just don't appreciate it when others take our dishes and go all cooky with them loool. Just kidding. BTW, you should post some South African dishes for us. What are the some of the local, famous dishes and even delicacies?

I would describe the taste of molokheya as a bamiya (same word in swahili and believe it or not in greek as well) but in spinach texture.

I actually learned a little bit of Swahili when I was in Burundi. Bamya is another favorite Egyptian and Arab dish. Ocra as it's called in the west but mixed with peas and onions and lamb meat in a thick tomato sauce with other vegetable on a bed of white rice is nothing short of heavenly. Although I've been told by a few people I shared it with who had tried it for the first time that it was probably a dish that needed some sort of an acquired taste.

Very cool. Yeah, we just don't appreciate it when others take our dishes and go all cooky with them loool. Just kidding. BTW, you should post some South African dishes for us. What are the some of the local, famous dishes and even delicacies?

I actually learned a little bit of Swahili when I was in Burundi. Bamya is another favorite Egyptian and Arab dish. Ocra as it's called in the west but mixed with peas and onions and lamb meat in a thick tomato sauce with other vegetable on a bed of white rice is nothing short of heavenly. Although I've been told by a few people I shared it with who had tried it for the first time that it was probably a dish that needed some sort of an acquired taste.
Bamiya is probably my favourite veg. I grow it here.

Well, our country is a country of acquired dishes we took when each wave of new people came here from over the world. For example, national dish is bobotjie - it is from java aka bobtek; javanese who came here 300+ yrs back brought it, Samosa/Samsa, potjie, biltong, braai - meat on fire is a must have on the list. Biltong is meat - beef or game which is put in vinegar, salt for 24hrs then coat of coriander seeds, black pepper and rock salt hung outside to dry for 6-7 days; that is everywhere. Woeres - big sausage from real meat, dried version etc. tonnes and tonnes of fish as after chicken fish is most widely consumed; melk tarts, koeksisters. just too much to write down; it is a melting pot. For example 20+yrs back, schwarma, falefal became the in thing and are still very very popular.

On Wednesday, Al-Azhar al-Sharif celebrated the annual day of the Al-Azhar mosque, which marks the seventh of Ramadan, the anniversary of the first ever prayer in the mosque 1078 years ago, where many activities, events and a group breakfast were organized, in which hundreds of citizens participated.

Dd651a0U8AIXC8k.jpg

Mostly small pups are caught by fisherman here but there are records of adult sharks, too.
KabasakalFig1.jpg

Two small pups

DC1E985FED0843D597E6DB4CB5DBDB74.jpg

A juvenile around 3 meters.

Some old records:
4a72c3da6278d7a7c791a443f976e956.jpg

View attachment 472993

According to Hakan Kabasakal, a marine biologist the ones in our waters are usually Australian species of great whites with their gray coloring on top unlike brown like African and dark and black American species.
today in tunisia

Bamiya is probably my favourite veg. I grow it here.

Well, our country is a country of acquired dishes we took when each wave of new people came here from over the world. For example, national dish is bobotjie - it is from java aka bobtek; javanese who came here 300+ yrs back brought it, Samosa/Samsa, potjie, biltong, braai - meat on fire is a must have on the list. Biltong is meat - beef or game which is put in vinegar, salt for 24hrs then coat of coriander seeds, black pepper and rock salt hung outside to dry for 6-7 days; that is everywhere. Woeres - big sausage from real meat, dried version etc. tonnes and tonnes of fish as after chicken fish is most widely consumed; melk tarts, koeksisters. just too much to write down; it is a melting pot. For example 20+yrs back, schwarma, falefal became the in thing and are still very very popular.

I need to come down there and visit you! If not for the fishing and to snorkel shark alley, but for this food you just described! :-)

Have you ever seen a Great African Land Snail as big as this one in SA? :lol:

Ddz5EgLU0AAQQbt.jpg

Last edited:
I need to come down there and visit you! If not for the fishing and to snorkel shark alley, but for this food you just described! :-)

Have you ever seen a Great African Land Snail as big as this one in SA? :lol:

Ddz5EgLU0AAQQbt.jpg
Yes, I have seen those. Some areas they are a problem.

Welcome as well to come and stay over at my farm too. God's country. Food and sports are biggest past-time. I think in entire continent we are the biggest consumer/capita of meat/poultry and fish. But if you want the best beef, that is only in Botswana and Namibia. You will be mistaken to think you are eating game meat.

For snokeling yes, but man, sharks are around, I wont risk it; a friend narrowly had a close call in Knynsa which is beautiful diving spot. You can check it up. The waves are huge; i mean in winter easily 8-10m high at times.

Yes, I have seen those. Some areas they are a problem.

Really? Wow, they are huge for snails and look at that thing, it's like a cross between a snail, and elephant and a cat/turtle hybrid! lol :lol: Sobhana'al Khalak Al Azeem as we say.

Welcome as well to come and stay over at my farm too.

Thank you, my friend, and likewise, although up this way in Boston since I reside here a lot more so than Egypt.
We can get out on the boat and fish and cruise all over the place, blast and a half!

For snokeling yes, but man, sharks are around, I wont risk it; a friend narrowly had a close call in Knynsa which is beautiful diving spot. You can check it up. The waves are huge; i mean in winter easily 8-10m high at times.

Ooof, sounds like my kinda spot! lol. Shark Week on discovery is coming up soon.

Bos 3al gamal da fe Ramadan ya rayis. MashAllah.

DeHL9wCWsAAoPNK.jpg

This is a wadi in Tanomah Aseer, south-west of Saudi Arabia. SobhanaAllah 3al shagar w'el akhdar fel sahra el Arabiya.

DeEtDx8W0AAbflR.jpg

Really? Wow, they are huge for snails and look at that thing, it's like a cross between a snail, and elephant and a cat/turtle hybrid! lol :lol: Sobhana'al Khalak Al Azeem as we say.

Thank you, my friend, and likewise, although up this way in Boston since I reside here a lot more so than Egypt.
We can get out on the boat and fish and cruise all over the place, blast and a half!

Ooof, sounds like my kinda spot! lol. Shark Week on discovery is coming up soon.

DeHL9wCWsAAoPNK.jpg

This is a wadi in Tanomah Aseer, south-west of Saudi Arabia. SobhanaAllah 3al shagar w'el akhdar fel sahra el Arabiya.

DeEtDx8W0AAbflR.jpg
Yes, if you get up to Mosselbaai which is next to Knysna; that is where there are many marine biologists from UCLA/Hamburg/UCT/Rhodes/BC to name a few are permanently present studying various whales that are around this area. On the forests we have a very unique sub-species of elephants in the Knysna; there is a good book - 'Circles in the Forest' you may want to have read in.

Boston, yes - good city for sure but too expensive for me :). Come this side, at 1/4 to 1/5 you have have far better experience especially off the coast of southern africa. If you like to snorkel, the best spots are off Pemba and Mafia Islands or all along the east african shore line.

DeHL9wCWsAAoPNK.jpg

DeEtDx8W0AAbflR.jpg

Very beautiful place, have you been there before in Mecca? It kind of all slopes down towards the Kabba and has an amazing aroma, would love to spend some of Ramadan there some time. :)

Yes, if you get up to Mosselbaai which is next to Knysna; that is where there are many marine biologists from UCLA/Hamburg/UCT/Rhodes/BC to name a few are permanently present studying various whales that are around this area. On the forests we have a very unique sub-species of elephants in the Knysna; there is a good book - 'Circles in the Forest' you may want to have read in.

Sounds peachy!

Boston, yes - good city for sure but too expensive for me :).

Why? You would be my guest with the red carpet rolled out and you wouldn't have to pay for a single thing, ma man! :-)

Come this side, at 1/4 to 1/5 you have have far better experience especially off the coast of southern africa. If you like to snorkel, the best spots are off Pemba and Mafia Islands or all along the east african shore line.

Love it! Boating season has just started for us up here so we're gonna be going out a lot and hopefully having some safe fun ISA.

Very beautiful place, have you been there before in Mecca? It kind of all slopes down towards the Kabba and has an amazing aroma, would love to spend some of Ramadan there some time. :)

Aywa tab3an, 3 times Alhamdulillah. My brother resides (for a large part of the the year) in Dammam, since most of his business is in Saudiya and other areas in Iraq and the Sham, so he gets to go to Makkah and Medina any time he wishes MashAllah. I agree, it's a place like none other.

Sounds peachy!

Why? You would be my guest with the red carpet rolled out and you wouldn't have to pay for a single thing, ma man! :-)

Love it! Boating season has just started for us up here so we're gonna be going out a lot and hopefully having some safe fun ISA.

Aywa tab3an, 3 times Alhamdulillah. My brother resides (for a large part of the the year) in Dammam, since most of his business is in Saudiya and other areas in Iraq and the Sham, so he gets to go to Makkah and Medina any time he wishes MashAllah. I agree, it's a place like none other.
Much appreciated; my home is your home, aha'lan wasahalan.

Back
Top Bottom