What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

Do Saudis play any contact sport or any sport apart from football?

Here is an article posted in Dawn today.. You may like to read it:
Hitler quotes will not help the Palestinians - Blogs - DAWN.COM

Football is by far the most popular sport. Other than that traditional sports such as horse riding, falconry, boat-racing, martial arts, and hunting too if you can consider that a sport, LOL.

Nowadays other popular sports are basketball, athletics, motor sports etc. But football takes 95% of all the time if not more.

Last edited:
Football is by far the most popular sport. Other than that traditional sports such as horse riding, falconry, boat-racing, martial arts, and hunting too if you can consider that a sport, LOL.

Nowadays other popular sports are basketball, athletics, motor sports etc. But football takes 95% of all the time if not more.

Motor sports ? Interesting .. Give out some details my frnd.

Motor sports ? Interesting .. Give out some details my frnd.

In general people do not seem that interested in sports aside from football. There is no tradition of local sports clubs like in every village in most of Western Europe, US etc. for instance either. Maybe this will change but sport is after all only sport.

In shot there is a lot of improvement but nothing will change unless sport clubs, facilities, interest, sports committees that know what they do etc. will show up.

In general aside from football there is nothing to brag about on a international scale.

I have talked about sports with my Pakistani friends and they talk about similar problems in Pakistan. it's not because there is no talent it's just that they do not have the same environment, support etc. to succeed in as your average European has to succeed.

Saudi Arabian Motorsport Federation, KSA | CircuitProDigital

There is a international rally in a city called Ha'il that takes place each year every spring.

People really like racing (look at all those idiotic drifting videos - mainly in Najd) but once again there are not any race tracks of worth when there could be dozens.

So you can see the problems.

In general people do not seem that interested in sports aside from football. There is no tradition of local sports clubs like in every village in most of Western Europe, US etc. for instance either. Maybe this will change but sport is after all only sport.

In shot there is a lot of improvement but nothing will change unless sport clubs, facilities, interest, sports committees that know what they do etc. will show up.

In general aside from football there is nothing to brag about on a international scale.

I have talked about sports with my Pakistani friends and they talk about similar problems in Pakistan. it's not because there is no talent it's just that they do not have the same environment, support etc. to succeed in as your average European has to succeed.

Saudi Arabian Motorsport Federation, KSA | CircuitProDigital

There is a international rally in a city called Ha'il that takes place each year every spring.

People really like racing (look at all those idiotic drifting videos - mainly in Najd) but once again there are not any race tracks of worth when there could be dozens.

So you can see the problems.

In our country the problem is different .. It has more to do with neglect,no govt support at all or just corruption etc.. Our hockey team won the championships like 4 times .. We had champion squash players like Jan Sher Khan and Jahangir Khan .. We have champion snooker/billiard players.. Now none .. Our hockey team didn't even qualify for the championship this time .. Football team
image.jpg

They don't even get the budget .. No govt support..

Same goes for boxing .. Although Pakistani expats supported by their govts are doing extremely good Imran khan (British champ)..

We had/have a A1 team .. Started by Musharaf .. No govt support now..

image.jpg
image.jpg

Also have a rugby team .. All fund themselves no govt support ..

Just few days a guy who came 2nd in Mr universe or something uploading a video where he seemed frustrated n complaining .. We have Olympic medalist selling their medals in scrapyards ..in short we are fucked up ..:lol:

It's the same with all Arab countries basically. Incompetence, corruption, lack of facilities, unrest (nobody cares about some sports in situation like those or when they need to feed their family) etc.

Yet we have dozens upon dozens of Arabs that are winning Olympic Gold medals for Western countries, South American, US etc. teams in all sports and world famous football players playing for the best football clubs and winning Champions League titles, World Cups (Khedira just won recently with Germany) etc. Same with athletics, boxing etc. Although some Arab countries have won quite a few gold medals at the Olympics in athletic disciplines.

Well, countries like UAE, Qatar etc. have world class facilities but the problem is that they don't have a very big talent mass. I mean the locals in those two countries make up 2-3 million people in total. That's nothing. You have limits with that population. No matter how good facilities that you have.

I have no doubt that Muslim countries would be much more successful in sports had they had the same facilities like in Europe and the West. Or extreme training regimes like China etc. and such countries. But once again they have 1.3 billion people to chose from and even compared to their population their records are rather poor.

Pakistan has a lot of potential because you have a huge talent mass (potentially) to chose from due to your population and your expat population could also help and spread the techniques, system etc. they learned/are used to from the West and that gave them success.;)

But frankly we have many more problems to worry about than sports. I wish we could just focus on that though, LOL.

Another successful Muslim from the UK (boxing):

No way would he have had the same success in his country of origin, LOL.

PS: I am a big fan of Amir Khan!

PPS: Can you watch Youtube in Pakistan again?:D

It's the same with all Arab countries basically. Incompetence, corruption, lack of facilities, unrest (nobody cares about some sports in situation like those or when they need to feed their family) etc.

Yet we have dozens upon dozens of Arabs that are winning Olympic Gold medals for Western countries, South American, US etc. teams in all sports and world famous football players playing for the best football clubs and winning Champions League titles, World Cups (Khedira just won recently with Germany) etc. Same with athletics, boxing etc. Although some Arab countries have won quite a few gold medals at the Olympics in athletic disciplines.

Well, countries like UAE, Qatar etc. have world class facilities but the problem is that they don't have a very big talent mass. I mean the locals in those two countries make up 2-3 million people in total. That's nothing. You have limits with that population. No matter how good facilities that you have.

I have no doubt that Muslim countries would be much more successful in sports had they had the same facilities like in Europe and the West. Or extreme training regimes like China etc. and such countries. But once again they have 1.3 billion people to chose from and even compared to their population their records are rather poor.

Pakistan has a lot of potential because you have a huge talent mass (potentially) to chose from due to your population and your expat population could also help and spread the techniques, system etc. they learned/are used to from the West and that gave them success.;)

But frankly we have many more problems to worry about than sports. I wish we could just focus on that though, LOL.

Another successful Muslim from the UK (boxing):

No way would he have had the same success in his country of origin, LOL.

PS: I am a big fan of Amir Khan!

PPS: Can you watch Youtube in Pakistan again?:D
I'm not counting the expats bro .. I'm talking about our national teams n medalists .. When given the support they have done miracles .. Apart from our cricket team there is literally no support to others .. They either finance themselves or the play for military teams...

P.S no YouTube is still banned.

I'm not counting the expats bro .. I'm talking about our national teams n medalists .. When given the support they have done miracles .. Apart from our cricket team there is literally no support to others .. They either finance themselves or the play for military teams...

P.S no YouTube is still banned.

Yes, I know that Pakistan has been successful when it comes to hockey and your national sport cricket on a international scale.;)

It's just that the percentage of your successful expats are bigger and we know the reasons for that. It's the same with the Arab world and every Muslim country. We discussed it already after all.;)

Do you use proxies then? It's a shame that we cannot share Youtube clips here in general.

Why did your change your avatar? The other was awesome, LOL.

Yes, I know that Pakistan has been successful when it comes to hockey and your national sport cricket on a international scale.;)

It's just that the percentage of your successful expats are bigger and we know the reasons for that. It's the same with the Arab world and every Muslim country. We discussed it already after all.;)

Do you use proxies then? It's a shame that we cannot share Youtube clips here in general.

Why did your change your avatar? The other was awesome, LOL.

Only if we had resources like the oil rich states man ..:lol:

Even to download proxies etc we have to use other proxies bcoz most of the good ones are also banned ..
image.jpg

Only if we had resources like the oil rich states man ..:lol:

Even to download proxies etc we have to use other proxies bcoz most of the good ones are also banned .. View attachment 40128

Man, trust me this does not help much as only UAE, Qatar have top class facilities etc. The problem is just that their native populations are tiny. Besides more often than not it is a curse too, LOL.

It's a great avatar. Like the white horse (what kind of horse is it?), attire, beard and long hair. I have somewhat long hair now but it does not curl that much unfortunately.:(

@DESERT FIGHTER

I have always been of the opinion that Baluch and Pashtun people are the closest to Arabs (and other ME people) in terms of look, attire and culture than other ethnic groups of Pakistan such as Sindhi, Mujahir or Punjabi people.

Aside from being closer geographically and having more contact with ME people.

That man on your avatar could look like a traditional tribal in many pats of the Arab world. In Oman were many Baluch people live it is very hard to tell them apart from locals now when they are not wearing their traditional clothing at special occasions.

A Sindhi and Punjabi is usually much easier to stop due to their more foreign looks.

It's just from personal observation, interaction, reading history etc. I have even seen Baluch and Pashtun people write the same here on PDF and elsewhere.

Arab tribals:

IMG_0318 by oboudiold, on Flickr

1949 by oboudiold, on Flickr

2010-10-25_095821
by oboudiold, on Flickr

by oboudiold, on Flickr

037 by oboudiold, on Flickr

@Desert Fox

Do you agree with this as well as a Pashtun my friend?

PS:

Biblical-like figures for the win!:lol:

I have always been of the opinion that Baluch and Pashtun people are the closest to Arabs (and other ME people) in terms of look, attire and culture than other ethnic groups of Pakistan such as Sindhi, Mujahir or Punjabi people.

Aside from being closer geographically and having more contact with ME people.

That man on your avatar could look like a traditional tribal in many pats of the Arab world. In Oman were many Baluch people live it is very hard to tell them apart from locals now when they are not wearing their traditional clothing at special occasions.

A Sindhi and Punjabi is usually much easier to stop due to their more foreign looks.

It's just from personal observation, interaction, reading history etc. I have even seen Baluch and Pashtun people write the same here on PDF and elsewhere.

Arab tribals:

IMG_0318 by oboudiold, on Flickr

1949 by oboudiold, on Flickr

2010-10-25_095821
by oboudiold, on Flickr

by oboudiold, on Flickr

037 by oboudiold, on Flickr

@Desert Fox

Do you agree with this as well as a Pashtun my friend?

PS:

Biblical-like figures for the win!:lol:
The closest to Arabs would be from the coastal areas of Pakistan. Baluchistan and Sindh.

The closest to Arabs would be from the coastal areas of Pakistan. Baluchistan and Sindh.

Genetic, cultural wise, historical andl geographic wise then Pashtuns and Baluch people seem to be the closest to Arabs and other ME people from my experience.

Sindhi people, Punjabis, Mujahir people much less IMO. The only connection with Sindh are Omanis sending Africans (back then slaves) to Southern Pakistan. Now known as Siddi people.

Genetic wise, cultural wise, geographic wise then Pashtuns and Baluch people seem to be the closest to Arabs and other ME people from my experience.

Sindhi people, Punjabis, Mujahir people much less IMO.

But there are actual descendants of Arabs in Sind. You can still trace Bin Qasim's expedition by following the date trees planted by his army in interior Sindh.

But there are actual decedents of Arabs in Sind. You can still trace Bin Qasim's expedition by following the date tree planted by his army in interior Sindh.

Really? Like the about 1000-1500 Arab families in Afghanistan? No, I am not talking about the few thousands Arabs and other Muslims that helped give the Soviets an ***-beating.:D

History of Arabs in Afghanistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that I once read that many of those families still speak Arabic as their mother tongue. Also there once lived many Arabs in Central Asia (Uzbekistan mainly) that migrated to Afghanistan when the Soviets arrived. They are apparently very much respected in Afghanistan where they mainly live among Pashtuns and Tajiks.

Our expert in Arab history and Chinese friend @Wholegrain once made a very interesting thread about Central Asian Arabs with dozens links and amazing footage. It was very interesting to see.
Anyway that's interesting mate.

But Siddi people are descendants of slaves (mostly from Horn of Africa) that the Portuguese and Omanis brought to Southern Pakistan and Iran as they controlled those lands back then.

Siddis are descended from Bantu peoples from Southeast Africa that were brought to the Indian subcontinent as slaves by the Portuguese.[1] While most of these migrants became Muslim and a small minority became Christian, very few becameHindu since they could not find themselves a position in the traditional Hindu caste hierarchy.[4]

Siddi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw some Pakistani users call them Arabs once, LOL.:lol:

Last edited:
Really? Like the about 1000-1500 Arab families in Afghanistan? No, I am not talking about the few thousands Arabs and other Muslims that helped give the Soviets an ***-beating.:D

History of Arabs in Afghanistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that I once read that many of those families still speak Arabic as their mother tongue. Also there once lived many Arabs in Central Asia (Uzbekistan mainly) that migrated to Afghanistan when the Soviets arrived. They are apparently very much respected in Afghanistan where they mainly live among Pashtuns and Tajiks.

Our expert in Arab history and Chinese friend @Wholegrain once made a very interesting thread about Central Asian Arabs with dozens links and amazing footage. It was very interesting to see.
Anyway that's interesting mate.

But Siddi people are descendants of slaves (mostly from Horn of Africa) that the Portuguese and Omanis brought to Southern Pakistan and Iran as they controlled those lands back then.

Siddi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw some Pakistani users call them Arabs once, LOL.:lol:

They looked like Arabs to me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom