What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

كيف أخباركم شو عملين ي شباب مين هنا متزوج و مسطقر؟

1483411_674069285965313_2064511957_n.jpg

:rofl:

Masgoof depend on two things, the type of fish, and the way it's cooked. In Iraq they use mostly local fish. They taste much better than imported ones. They have less fish odor and better quality meat.

Thanks bro! I know all those they just have different names. Although you're using the Chaldean way if referring to them...are you Chaldean? Because.....:

Pocha: كرش
Dolma: ورق عنب
Magsoof: مندي

No I'm Arab from Basrah, but these foods and names are the same all over Iraq.
The pacha inclundes stuffed "كرش"
The dolma is Made a bit differently in each region. Also it includes different vegetable not only vine leaves.

Ok guys and girls (we wish) here are a few names of some local Hijazi dishes that I can think of. Obviously many of them are found throughout the Arab world and especially in nearby countries/neighboring countries such as Egypt, Syria, Jordan (Sham in general), Yemen etc.

السليق
المعصوب
العريكة
المطبق
الحنيذ
المدفون
الهريسة
الفول
الفرموزة
العيش باللحم
الكباب البلدي
شربة العدس
شربة الحب
المنتو
الفتة
اليغمش
العصيدة
المبشور
الدبيازة
الألماسية
الجبنية
اللبنية
اللدو
المعمول
لقيمات

I am sure that many Arabs from across the Arab world here will recognize at least some of the dishes if not a lot. The Egyptians will.:)

Don't know all the names in English though, LOL!

Some photos and videos:

image014.jpg

That's local fruit, banana, dried fruits etc.

21do2md.jpg

2e5qwdt.jpg

28m31gg.jpg

290slk8.jpg

Locat fruits at a market

2e4x8p4.jpg

715205.jpg

jifevr.jpg

Great video of some of the Hijazi dishes:

Obviously Sambusa and Martabak are two local dishes that are popular as street food.

Sambusa - from Saudi Arabia - YouTube

Amazing Arab Street Food! - Martabak (Mutabak) Recipe - YouTube

@Hazzy997

Are you referring to something like this. The chicken/lamb/meat you talk about that was made "underground"?

الحنيذ

المدفون

Watch until the end in both of the last videos!:)

KSA is quite a big country so the regional difference in cuisine and pretty much everything are there but I am only talking about Hijaz here and the traditional cuisine differ from town to town and area in Hijaz. For instance fish dishes are very popular in Yanbu, Jeddah etc. but Makkah just less than 100 km away eats a lot more meat and less fish. Traditionally that was at least the case.
Sorry for the essay.

@al-Hasani

LOL! Yeah that is it, and I love samboosa too and Ftaayir

شربة حب؟؟؟

There's love soup? :D I'd like to try that :lol:

@al-Hasani

LOL! Yeah that is it, and I love samboosa too and Ftaayir

شربة حب؟؟؟

There's love soup? :D I'd like to try that :lol:

Ok, I actually know that it is used in Palestine. Just tried to test you.:lol:

LOL. That's just wheat/grain soup. Many different soups. What I showed is just one tiny bit. Don't want to spam this thread with Hijazi dishes.

Well, do I need to tell you about all the funny Arabic names etc. Let us not go there.:woot:

In general I have noticed that Hijazi and Shami - obviously including Palestinian thus, are very close. We are also neighbors so no wonder and there have been trading caravans/connection for millenniums.

@Hadbani is from the Eastern Province I think and actually partially Iranian. He might be willing to show you some of the dishes of that province of KSA. We also have esteemed Saudi Arabians users from the highlands (Asir, Al-Bahah, Najran etc.) and Southern provinces and they also have a distinct cuisine. None from the north though from what I know but they are the ones that are closest in terms of Syria, Jordan, outside of Hijaz. They also use olive oil for everything, eat lots of it etc. KSA has hundreds (by now) km2 of olive plantations in the Northern Regions especially around the ancient towns of Tabuk, Sakakah etc. The olive tree is native to that part of KSA. Unfortunately we also have quite a few fat Najdis that spoil it for us and whom we suffer discrimination from.:cheesy:

@al-Hasani

What is the difference between dialects of Arabic? Which would be the best to learn?

Long discussion. Some are NEARLY as distinct languages (obviously I am overreacting here) and some are much closer. Most new Arabic speakers either start with learning Egyptian or Syrian. They are somewhat in the middle of all Arabic dialects and most people understand them. Hijazi is also a good start (Urban Hijazi). It's close to Egyptian, Shami and Yemeni. But much lesser spread

Some more traditional people prefer starting with Yemeni Arabic of the Sana'a variety.

Anyway in KSA you either speak (native) the Hijazi or Najdi dialect. Hijazi makes you mutually understandable (99%) with speakers of Sham (Levant), Yemen, Egypt, Libya etc. Iraq as well although Najdi and Khaleeji is closer to the Iraqi one (Baghdadi not Northern Mesopotamian that is distinct but obviously understandable). For instance Hijazi Arabic is closer to Egyptian, Shami and Yemeni than it is to Khaleeji Arabic. Khaleeji is only spoken by 200.000 people as a native dialect in KSA but if you speak it/understand it you can make yourself understandable in Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, UAE and large parts of Southern Iraq. Parts of Eastern Province of KSA as well obviously. But you have many sperate dialects within the dialect of for instance Najdi. Riyadhi Arabic (traditional one) differ slightly from the one spoken in Unaizah, Ha'il. Although those are cosmetic differences.

Overall all those Arabic dialects are somewhat similar considering the geographic distances OUTSIDE of Maghrebi. I think there is a consensus that Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian (slightly less so though) differ the most from the Arabic dialects spoken in the "traditional" ME region.

But once again each country have their own dialects again with some being very close to the "lingua franca dialect" of Arab country x or y while others are distinctive.

But start with Egyptian or Syrian. If you learn that then 99% will be understand in Hijaz and most of KSA likewise most of the traditional ME area as I called it.

Most importantly don't even start with a dialect. Start with the fus7a. MSA. From there on you can start learning a distinct dialect or more if you have any particular interest in an Arabic dialect or the country that it is spoken in.

Listen to this. She is fairly accurate.

I warned you beforehand about the complexity of the question.

@al-Hasani

I ask for two reasons, one being obviously I want to learn so I can visit Arab nations without a problem and also so I can read Quran without translations.

Secondly would different dialects be totally different languages or would the difference be like American English and British English?

Back
Top Bottom