What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

In terms of heat, sand etc bro? The Altay can handle that. The same thing was said about the Abrams and look what happened in Iraq.....
And there are those Canadian Leopard2A6s in Afghanistan... just next to Pakistan... just saying :)

In terms of heat, sand etc bro? The Altay can handle that. The same thing was said about the Abrams and look what happened in Iraq.....

Iraq and our terrain is vastly different sir, so are our climatic conditions. No one said that about Abrams, it failed field tests carried out by the Army in 1988. The only benefit we got from the Abrams bid was that we made India pay a gigantic amount for developing Arjun MBT.

Iraq and our terrain is vastly different sir, so are our climatic conditions. No one said that about Abrams, it failed field tests carried out by the Army in 1988. The only benefit we got from the Abrams bid was that we made India pay a gigantic amount for developing Arjun MBT.

I'd say the Thar desert and Iraq's arid regions weren't much different bro. Such tanks can pretty much operate anywhere. The Abrams, before it went into Iraq had people saying it would sink in the sand, it would overheat, weapons would fail, dust would gather. Granted there was no internet then, people still said it. The Abrams of 88 is also vastly different to what it is now.
It's not just that, but the likes of the L-55 gun which has nothing that can outgun it. That's what the Altay will carry.

fvck abrams dude, it's a POS that only arabs buy

Saudi arabia bought it because they wanted to look friendly to America to deal with Saddam. They were going to buy Osorio if the gulf war hadn't broke out.

And there are those Canadian Leopard2A6s in Afghanistan... just next to Pakistan... just saying :)

Afghanistan is rocky and hilly, the Leos etc are well suited for that role. Our 1900km long border with India is made up of fine grain sand, ditches, fields and extremely rich clay which sticks like a glue when it comes into contact with moisture. The Abrams failed miserably in those conditions in 1988, mainly due to the weight factor. AL-Khalid was developed for our conditions as it is the right weight class and suits our terrain.

If i was to import a tank from overseas for our battlefield needs that would be Mitsubishi Type-10.

Hmpf...
@Aeronaut
That could require wider tracks for Altay to reduce the ground pressure...
I think that could be done.

We've been brainstorming on mounting an autoloader to attract Turkic states...
Maybe Altay can be modified for Pakistani needs... =)

Hmpf...
@Aeronaut

We want Altay's subsystems and armor technology :D

I'd say the Thar desert and Iraq's arid regions weren't much different bro. Such tanks can pretty much operate anywhere. The Abrams, before it went into Iraq had people saying it would sink in the sand, it would overheat, weapons would fail, dust would gather. Granted there was no internet then, people still said it. The Abrams of 88 is also vastly different to what it is now.
It's not just that, but the likes of the L-55 gun which has nothing that can outgun it. That's what the Altay will carry.

The jet fuel engine is what causes problems for the desert region, today the Abrams is causing many problems for us they quit buying more, the thing is overrated & sucks.

The jet fuel engine is what causes problems for the desert region, today the Abrams is causing many problems for us they quit buying more, the thing is overrated & sucks.

Maybe because they gave you the downgraded version?

Switch to Diesel bro. You're right about it being a fuel guzzler. It is however not overrated.

You guys should seriously talk to the Turks about the Altay.

Switch to Diesel bro. You're right about it being a fuel guzzler. It is however not overrated.

You guys should seriously talk to the Turks about the Altay.
I dont think they like us.:(

Hmpf...
@Aeronaut

It is all about ground pressure and all modern tanks have overcome this. I mean for example the Leo 2 produces 0.83 kg/cm² compared to the T-90's 0.91 kg/cm2

As for the autoloader, you guys should leave things as they are. I get the whole thing about attracting turkic states but a four man crew trumps the autoloader any-day. They are also more complex and prone to breaking down, that's when you will be really screwed. The Turks have gone absolutely the right way with the Altay.

I'm so looking forward to the production of the Altay, even more than the Atak and the TF-2000 program. :yahoo:

I dont think they like us.:(

Opps.

Don't worry you got our love of 200 million people. :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom