What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Erdogan is against such a sale to us.
And nobody's against him...

Iraqi state is far too unstable to trust. Not only you've never stepped in on PKK, you've protested and issued notes each time we've operated in northern Iraqi soil. Defending PKK was against your interests but you did it anyway.

To be honest I think Iraq is almost as unstable as Syria and selling weapons so you could start killing each other 10 years later with our weapons wouldn't be moral.

Turkey already has the capability to
design, develop, and manufacture light
and medium tracked and wheeled AFVs,
but has now moved into the heavier end
of the market.

For many years Turkey has been
upgrading older M48, M60, and Leopard 1
MBTs and now aims to be self-sufficient
in MBTs as well.
Under contract to the Turkish Land Forces
Command (TLFC), local company Otokar
is now developing the Altay MBT, with the
first two examples, the Firepower Test Rig
(FTR) and the Mobility Test Rig (MTR)
being completed late in 2012.

These will be followed by two pre-series
Altay MBTs and a contract is expected to
be awarded sometime in 2014 for an initial
batch of 250 vehicles for the TLFC.
Unless KMW wins additional contracts for
its Leopard 2A7 beyond the current
contract for Qatar, the Turkish Altay MBT
will be the only vehicle of its type in
production in NATO.

Turkey has already had major export
success with wide ranges of other tracked
and wheeled AFVs; the Altay would well fill
a gap in the MBT market without any
political strings attached.

http://www.janes360.com/images/asse...ed_Fighting_Vehicles_-_Annual_Review_2014.pdf

Altay 1.JPG

Altay 2.JPG

doritos who the heck told you that we iraqis interested in turkish gabage man stop talking like that since we are going towards US, Russia and China.

What makes you think that Turkish developed systems are garbage dude ? Turkish industry never develops a system for propaganda purposes and We are not a country that is trying to survive. We don't need WW2 tactics for strength shows. I mean We don't have any reason to develop Garbage like systems to introduce as superier to World. We only aim to develop systems that is able to perform better than equivalents to meet our Armed Forces requirements. I think You are mixing the name of countries with eachother.

Last edited:
What makes you think that Turkish developed systems are garbage dude ? Turkish industry never develops a system for propaganda purposes and We are not a country that is trying to survive. We don't need WW2 tactics for strength shows. I mean We don't have any reason to develop Garbage like systems to introduce as superier to World. We only aim to develop systems that is able to perform better than equivalents to meet our Armed Forces requirements. I think You are mixing the name of countries with eachother.
Ok, good luck then with your state of the art systems I was answering one your kids who thought like Iraq is begging for your stuff and turkey like germany or japan, by the way once your errrrrrdog leaves the office and a wise man take his place our relationship will be a lot better.

doritos who the heck told you that we iraqis interested in turkish gabage man stop talking like that since we are going towards US, Russia and China.

There is no official interest in Altay, I only mentioned it since it's based of the K2 which is a good but too expensive tank to buy ($ 7-8 mil) , the tank isn't garbage it's very modern, superior to the Abrams.
Erdogan has his own religious ideology separate from national interests, not the entire state is hostile, however that's a different topic.

APU in development by Tepas for Leopard 2 Modernization, producing 10kw-15kw(max). Engine used is a FARYMANN43F.
apuu.jpg

Could be the same APU to be used in Altay.

For a long time there is no news... Last thing i remember is Cabatli said 3rd prototype is finished...

Perhaps SSM kicked Otokars ***, because they showed early pictures? Something about a turret that wasn't meant to be seen.

Perhaps SSM kicked Otokars ***, because they showed early pictures? Something about a turret that wasn't meant to be seen.

It's not a production turret so I wouldn't worry about it, from what I can remember the 3rd and 4th prototype will be tested by TSK. If TSK has the tank, good luck finding any pictures or media publications on it.

Back
Top Bottom