What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

@Kaan although he has a point, M1 Abrams turret is all-around composite.

We don't have that information about Altay.
Abrams turret also seperates ammo storage with blast doors it's a very important feature.
We don't have that information about Altay either.

If this two adds up Altay will be the best MBT in the world.
I can only hope.
Right we dont have enough info about the tank. In the next few months it looks like we will see P1.

Altay export to Pakistan, oh yes.

With Turkish ambitions to someday export the Altay tank to countries like Azerbaijan and Pakistan,

Turkey’s formidable defence industry – rising star or NATO’s unruly ally? - Army Technology

I can just see now the power of the L/55 gun in South Asia, making our armoured formations beast like. Be afraid be very afraid. :agree:

Why would we import a tank when we already have our own programe? IDEAS 2014 isnt far... lets see what those 6 major modifications are ( screw em for cancelling the other 4 ... due to budget restraints) .. my opinion :

Armour
Engine
Sights
APS
??

etc etc

Some random guy just made it. he took the red lazer things and the gas tank on the back of the tank from the t-90.

The laser things is actually shtora APS... Used only by russians..
VDayParade2009.jpg

We are using Varta1 on both our T-84s n AKs ... upgraded by GIDS (also reportedly developing an indigenous APS for AK-II)..
pakistan-army-tank-azhar-abbas_zps54410f16.jpg

T-84U_oplot.jpg

Old AK pic:

ddb045dc242d44de8a8af8b.png

@DESERT FIGHTER
So far we have better armor and better fire control systems than anyone...
Engine is the only thing we lack

If im not wrong Turkey was looking for help from Pak on composite armour during mid 2000s... i think 2006... google :
Pakistan to transfer composite armor technology to Turkey?

B
ut than again ... its not some sort of a measuring contest.. if your produce something great we are happy for you.

Last edited:
@DESERT FIGHTER yes then we got help from Korea; there must be many reason for that. One reason is that it must of have not met the army's "requirements".

If im not wrong Turkey was looking for help from Pak on composite armour during mid 2000s... i think 2006... google :
Pakistan to transfer composite armor technology to Turkey?

B
ut than again ... its not some sort of a measuring contest.. if your produce something great we are happy for you.
Things change, we helped build South Korea, now they are more advanced than us in many aspects :)
What source are you basing your Opinion on?
Boron carbide is an extremely advanced material, unless Pakistanis are using diamond in their composites, ours is better :)

Things change, we helped build South Korea, now they are more advanced than us in many aspects :)

Boron carbide is an extremely advanced material, unless Pakistanis are using diamond in their composites, ours is better :)

Lmao do you think only you are using Boron? we are using it in our composite armour aswell ... go through the AK info pool thread for more .. my frnd.

e many reason for that. One reason is that it must of have not met the army's "requirements".
@DESERT FIGHTER yes then we got help from Korea; there must be many reason for that. One reason is that it must of have not met the army's "requirements".

Yes the tank itself is "inspired" from the korean K.

Last edited:
Lmao do you think only you are using Boron? we are using it in our composite armour aswell ... go through the AK info pool thread for more .. my frnd.
I didn't know... Leopard 2 uses ceramics, Abrams uses depleted uranium ...boron carbide isn't very widespread.
Since Turkey has %70 of the world's boron deposits, our composites must have a greater ratio of it.
But most of the info about the tank is unfortunately still unknown/classified
Yes the tank itself is "inspired" from the korean K.
I wouldn't say "inspired" but we've simply received ToT, Altay and K2 are not in the same weight class, not in the same configuration.
in the end very different tanks.

Last edited:
I didn't know... Leopard 2 uses ceramics, Abrams uses depleted uranium boron carbide isn't very widespread.
Since Turkey has %70 of the world's boron, our composites must have a greater ratio of boron.

I wouldn't say "inspired" but we've simply received ToT, Altay and K2 are not in the same weight class, not in the same configuration.
in the end very different tanks.

In short yes Boron is used in composite armour of AK... While a heavier 1500hp power new AK-II will be revealed at IDEAS 2014 exhibition in december this year... but there are reports about its major modifications (10) being reduced to 6 .. due to financial ***.

Anyways good luck.

Back
Top Bottom