What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Cobra yes (agreement reached at IDEF-2013), Arma no (I know where you might have heard it, but its a misunderstanding by whoever said it, there was no conract for Arma at IDEF). Ejder were brought to the country for tests, I wonder how that went.

I already sent you the source on WAFF

Is that prudent considering that Russia is also the biggest supporter of Armenia & I've often heard Azerbaijanis say that its actually Russia who's presence in & support for Armenia dissuades Azerbaijan from taking back her disputed territories ? Is it really wise to buy military weapons from the backer of the country you've got territorial issues with ?

Armenia got all of west to blockade weapon sales to us
so its either Russia or Chinese weapons basically

Last edited:
Wouldn't integrating your Military Complex with Turkiye be a better choice ? The Altays seem like a very...very good platform ! :)

like I said , Azerbaijan has ordered Firtina in 2011? I believe
and deliveries might happen this year

which creates a problem
but yes most likely Azerbaijan will buy Altay or locally produce them to replace T-72

Honestly, all talks of "maintaining the status quo" is largely nonesense, because the amounts are large enough to make a difference. And I definetly don't think Russia will donate "the same stuff", in terms of "donation", we will be talking about second-hand only. I'm not saying whether its right or not to buy weaponry from Russia, but its not that simple either.
I'm not arguing that, but the fact is whatever money you pay to the Russians for your equipment is somehow ending up supplying Armenian army. You are making a difference but Russians are making sure that you don't make enough difference.

ALTAY is far superior to anything ever came from Russia. 60 centimeters boron carbide based composite armor in the front there's NO WAY T90 can provide the same protection.

You need to act with cold blood. There's no developed country in this world that buys new models of tanks every year. Just wait!

Last edited:
I suppose Roof armour of Altay will even provide better protection than anything Azerbaijan has at present.

attachment.php

With final shape of turret on P1 and P2, I think Altay will be one of the best among Western class heavy tanks...

How about the situation now?havent heard any news of altay for a long time

@cabatli_53 what is the ratio of composites in Altay's turret, is there an official number?
is it just the frontal armor blocks or is the turret all-around composite?

+is there blast doors inside turret, do we have that feature? It's very important
+it's caled dorsal armor
How about the situation now?havent heard any news of altay for a long time
We're still looking for a partner to co-develop a power pack.

@cabatli_53 what is the ratio of composites in Altay's turret, is there an official number?

+is there blast doors inside turret, do we have that feature? It's very important
+it's caled dorsal armor

@LegionnairE, Unfortunately, About Altay, I don't have anything to share different than those posted on forums.

+it's caled dorsal armor

Japanese government can't do it for 2,3year(depend on the speed of our great PM Abe's reform)How about the Chinese?their 99A also 60+tonnes

And the when will the first 500 which use MTU powerpack be mass produced?

Japanese government can't do it for 2,3year(depend on the speed of our great PM Abe's reform)How about the Chinese?their 99A also 60+tonnes

And the when will the first 500 which use MTU powerpack be mass produced?

It is expected to start mass production in 2017. At present, Altay P1 and P2 protoptypes which is going to be closest prototypes(real Roketsan armours, final chassis, FCS and final design on turret) for mass production, are under development/production phase. Estimated time of trials on two near end prototypes are going to be more or less 2 years. After that, First 250 Altay-S is going to be produced with MTU powerpack.

@cabatli_53

Did we see the final form with Roketsan armor ? some says pics have not armor on it, some says it has.

physical-panoramic-map-of-nagorno-karabakh-cropped-outside.jpg

This the land scape of nagorno karabakh. It doesn't look very well suited for tanks with thin armor. The Altay based on the pictures @cabatli_53 just posted seems to have pretty thick armor on the top side of the turret. This is very important if you are to fight an enemy which is situated above you.

"The Russians suffered a massive loss in their armored divisions, especially in the battle of Grozny where the Chechens destroyed approximately around 400 Russian tanks & APCs using standard RPG’s and other anti tank systems like the RPG-7, SPG-9 & the 9M111 Fagot. This war showed the truly poor performance of the Russian main battle tanks. Defense Minister Pavel Grachev admitted that unnecessary casualties were sustained due to the T-80Y’s vulnerabilities such as within its short firing range, fuel consumption, limited ammunition storage and most importantly its thin upper surface armor."
An overview to the Free Syrian Army & the T-72 Dilemma | BlackShaheen

An important thing to note is that Azerbaijan has upgraded its T-72's. Also the T-90 has many improvements in its defencive capabilities when compared to older russian tanks. (Obviously) But still Altay will be better armoured thus better suited for combat in Nagorno Karabakh if tanks are to be used in significant quantities at all.

TBH I have no clue about what chinese have to offer, or if the SSM is considering cooperating with them.

Doesn't make much sense but we can put chinese engines in ALTAY's export versions.
@cabatli_53
Did we see the final form with Roketsan armor ? some says pics have not armor on it, some says it has.
additional armor blocks on the sides of the turret seems to be reactive. Which tells me that there's no composite armor on the sides and it's bad.

Abrams' turret is all-around composite if I remember correctly, why should we stay a step behind? :/

Estimated time of trials on two near end prototypes are going to be more or less 2 years. After that, First 250 Altay-S is going to be produced with MTU powerpack.
What difference will there be between P1,P2 and P3,P4?

Back
Top Bottom