What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Otokar wouldn't of been able to develop a Tank worthy of TSK praise without government paying $500mil to S. Korea Hyundai Rotem for assistance.
BMC wouldnt even be able to produce the prototypes with the same amount of assistance.Everyone knows this fact too

The main problem and reason why the discussion even started is, that Tank Palet/the 1st maintanance command center is being sold off. Noone cared too much when BMC got all the German assistance.

The issue here is far-reaching, I‘d say. Some facilties and know-how simply must stay with the military. Privatisation isn‘t postive in this case. This isn‘t even about the Altay tank anymore. But @ANMDT has already touched this topic anyways.

Apparently there is a court case being opened:

[https://www.aydinlik.com.tr/harb-is-ozellestirmeyi-yargiya-tasiyor-turkiye-aralik-2018]

I believe the outcome here will play an important part on how the future of other similar companies will be handled and the defence industry in general.

Talking about privatisation, the workers at Tank Palet seem not to be too happy about the situation either. Just a perspective that I’d like to add as someone who feels empathy for the fate of these workers. As they may or may not suffer in terms of worker rights.

Harb-is isnt like egitimsen or memursen. They are properly defending rights of workers in military factoried, those people can not replaced easily, there lies decades of experienced and you may not expect to train those people in a few years. Once they goes strike, bunch of ,the majority of, defence projects will get to be paused.

BMC wouldnt even be able to produce the prototypes with the same amount of assistance.Everyone knows this fact too

Harb-is isnt like egitimsen or memursen. They are properly defending rights of workers in military factoried, those people can not replaced easily, there lies decades of experienced and you may not expect to train those people in a few years. Once they goes strike, bunch of ,the majority of, defence projects will get to be paused.
Bro,better talk to a wall,they know everything better.
1000 tanks should have been produced by now,we still only have 4?
Paused?
Yes at first but im guessing most of the big projects will be cancelled later.

You have made the point already,
If BMC is good enough to assemble the tank ,then they should do so in their own facilities without any further assistance. If Tank Palet is enough qualified to assemble a tank (So do they) , then we are questioning here the purpose of BMC as a company in this process .
Such a dilemma,but truth is spoken,mate. It may not be worse than Elvo, but they are not good enough to assemble Altay and they have requested further assitance from state to privatize Tank Palet. This makes everything clear in my opinion.

I actually couldnt figure out if you were ironically mocking BMC ? :)

The bolded is the main concern here if Turkey does not want to pay another 8-9 zero money in dollar to get assistance from foreigners in order to create another know-how pool at first phase, and the second phase even cannot be bought/obtained with money. The second phase is what irks you, me and others who put the future of the country and nation at the top priority, not pocket of some.

To make it easier for everbody... There would not be the legend of German tank and inspiration to other tank producers in the world if this BMC mentality had been followed.

I would be extremely surprised if BMC can start producing satisfactory tanks in 10 years, to be honest; they can produce, but at military standard quality..? Not so sure. Your faith or your patriotism does not make you a tank expert at all; however it looks like the government thinks that is the case. If that was the case, any 5000+ employee firm would be able to send Tesla cars to outer orbits like SpaceX do. That is why, people will be whining about the same stuff why battle tank program is delaying for many years to come; because bureacrauts treat high tech industry as "bakery but works with expensive materials instead of wheat and flour"

I see i touched a nerve here but i dont care i will call it as it is, your just another apologist whitewashing corruption with simple thinking like ''but others did less'', so fucking what? Is Turkey damned to be ruled by corrupt politicians because the previous ones werent better?

What kind of retarded games you playing? What nerve? Just stop blaming the present without looking at the past - even if it means, that your kind of people have to criticize their gods...
But I dont feel sorry for you - with your quarrel seeking sick mind :)
there wasnt any corruption in turkey before, youre right preteen boy - and yes.. turkey was able to build some old *** WW2 G3 back then - under license - its okay... everything was better - yes..
And dont call me Apo-myass-ist - when your gods were the ones keeping the PKK alive to remain in power...

Have a nice day!

Yet again...An example for ''erdogan vision''.

And what are you trying to say besides insulting me and my people?

We actually did have a defense industry (we were producing planes) until the 1950s when Adnan Menderes came to power. Menderes was an Islamist who closed our plane factories and made our country fully reliant on the west. He is possibly the most detrimental leader in modern Turkish history.

Menderes was hung in 1960 but the damage he caused set us back for a long time. After his death we started producing G3s and other small arms under license. As the conflict in Cyprus loomed, the Americans refused to sell us amphibious assault boats. This forced us to start producing our own equipment again. Companies such as Aselsan, Havelsan and Aspilsan were established in the 1970s. In 1985 we set up SSM in order to coordinate and drive forward our defense industry. It must be noted that a number of our major defense projects have been in the pipeline ever since the 80s/90s.

After putting so much emphasis on the defense industry in the 90s, it's only natural that our companies are flourishing now. All that hard work has paid off. True Kemalists made the Turkish defense industry what it is today, Erdogan is just in it for the ride.
You need to get your facts straight on this, I mean research our history from objective and non-biased sources. Ataturk specifically said to support Nuri Demirag and others like him in their endeavors. But almost as soon as he died in 1938, this policy was abandoned, coupled with the Marshall plan that was implemented in Turkey in the late 40's, before Menderes got elected in 1950. Nuri Demirag tried to stay afloat, but THK cancelled their order of planes and they even blocked Nuri Demirag from exporting planes to Spain.

In order to combat this, Nuri Demirag had created his own political party (Milli Kalkinma partisi) but lost against Inonu's CHP during the elections of 1946. During this time demirag's party was the first opposition party of Turkey. It is true that his company went bankrupt in the early 50's, during Menderes's rain, but the fact that his company went bankrupt had nothing to do with Menderes (who got elected in 1950), as the damage was already done in the decade before. Nuri Demirag also got elected into parliament and was a party member of Demokrat Parti (Menderes's party) and he passed away in 1957. If Menderes was to blame for Nuri Demirag's company, then why would he have joined his party?

Due to the Marshall plan implemented in the late 40's, Turkey almost didn't do anything regarding defence industry. The 'Johnson mektubu' was the first sign but we didn't wake up quite yet. Only until 10 years later, in 1974 did Turkey actually wake up and started giving serious thought to developing its own defence industry.

And Menderes had caused damage? No, the junta that meddled with democracy and everyone that supported them caused damage, and it took us decades to fix this problem, only when the junta got prosecuted we were finally over this problem. And due to these tragic events in our past, we were able to revolt against the failed coup a couple of years ago. Otherwise we still would have been giving the junta a standing ovation like we did in the 80's, even though they the junta stood against all of our interests.

No offence bro, but you really need to be more objective and give credit where it's due. You are coming up with wild claims by saying that Erdogan is just in it for the ride etc. implying he has nothing to do with the defence industry policy, even though he and his party are the policy makers, is only a case of ignoring what's going on in reality and seeing the world with a certain filter. We have seen in our past, how if there is no political support going to our companies. how bad it can end up for them and us by extension, like what happened during the 40's. We have got to learn from our past otherwise we are doomed to repeat it. You seem to completely ignore this and just spin it in a way how it fits your ideology or political beliefs/opinions. It's hard to take someone with these claims seriously, it does nothing but make oneself look bad.

Last edited:
What kind of retarded games you playing? What nerve? Just stop blaming the present without looking at the past - even if it means, that your kind of people have to criticize their gods...
But I dont feel sorry for you - with your quarrel seeking sick mind :)
there wasnt any corruption in turkey before, youre right preteen boy - and yes.. turkey was able to build some old *** WW2 G3 back then - under license - its okay... everything was better - yes..
And dont call me Apo-myass-ist - when your gods were the ones keeping the PKK alive to remain in power...

Have a nice day!

And what are you trying to say besides insulting me and my people?
Oh, i just realized, welcome back Hurshid....

You need to get your facts straight on this, I mean research our history from objective and non-biased sources. Ataturk specifically said to support Nuri Demirag and others like him in their endeavors. But almost as soon as he died in 1938, this policy was abandoned, coupled with the Marshall plan that was implemented in Turkey in the late 40's, before Menderes got elected in 1950. Nuri Demirag tried to stay afloat, but THK cancelled their order of planes and they even blocked Nuri Demirag from exporting planes to Spain.

In order to combat this, Nuri Demirag had created his own political party (Milli Kalkinma partisi) but lost against Inonu's CHP during the elections of 1946. During this time demirag's party was the first opposition party of Turkey. It is true that his company went bankrupt in the early 50's, during Menderes's rain, but the fact that his company went bankrupt had nothing to do with Menderes (who got elected in 1950), as the damage was already done in the decade before. Nuri Demirag also got elected into parliament and was a party member of Demokrat Parti (Menderes's party) and he passed away in 1957. If Menderes was to blame for Nuri Demirag's company, then why would he have joined his party?

Due to the Marshall plan implemented in the late 40's, Turkey almost didn't do anything regarding defence industry. The 'Johnson mektubu' was the first sign but we didn't wake up quite yet. Only until 10 years later, in 1974 did Turkey actually wake up and started giving serious thought to developing its own defence industry.

And Menderes had caused damage? No, the junta that meddled with democracy and everyone that supported them caused damage, and it took us decades to fix this problem, only when the junta got prosecuted we were finally over this problem. And due to these tragic events in our past, we were able to revolt against the failed coup a couple of years ago. Otherwise we still would have been giving the junta a standing ovation like we did in the 80's, even though they the junta stood against all of our interests.

No offence bro, but you really need to be more objective and give credit where it's due. You are coming up with wild claims by saying that Erdogan is just in it for the ride etc. implying he has nothing to do with the defence industry policy, even though he and his party are the policy makers, is only a case of ignoring what's going on in reality and seeing the world with a certain filter. We have seen in our past, how if there is no political support going to our companies. how bad it can end up for them and us by extension, like what happened during the 40's. We have got to learn from our past otherwise we are doomed to repeat it. You seem to completely ignore this and just spin it in a way how it fits your ideology or political beliefs/opinions. It's hard to take someone with these claims seriously, it does nothing but make oneself look bad.

I start to belive you intentionally distort the history in order to mislead readers.

Here is some passage from the confessions of David Rockefeller about Adnan Menderes:

“Mesela Türkiye’yi ele alalım. Türkler’de yıllar boyu komünizme karşı savaşmıştır. 1950’lerde ülke yönetimine bizim desteğimizle Adnan Menderes gelmişti. Aslında Menderes bizimle başta gayet güzel bir diyalog kurmuştu. Bizden seçimde aldığı destek karşılığında, Marshall yardımı adı altında devamlı borç alıyor ve ülkesinde yatırımlar yaparak sanayi yapısını geliştiriyordu.”

For those interested in how the Islam abusers and PKK terrorism were born can find some clue in his confessions.

Let me correct it then :
I dont have any hopes on BMC that they will complete the project with the current resources, and budget. They will be granted by anything for sake of completing the project, meanwhile their profit will be assured by government. They will be granted by any rights, any oppurtinity, if needed even staff from other factories will be delivered to theirs, they will indeed will complete and should complete.
But the point is, everyone is aware of the situation with BMC so you may stop mumbling about how you have hopes on. Anyone with a little bit of technical background knowledge, and rational thinking , would easily conclude that BMC isnt the company that deserves it.
No the point is, that everyone that thinks they are aware of the situation, but their 'facts' are all based on conjecture. The real point is that there is no way of knowing how BMC is operating, unless you are part of the management at BMC, or a thorough report has been written and published about BMC's effectivity and efficiency.

Sorry, but I take SSB's conclusion over your opinion any day. It was also SSB that gave the Altay tender to Otokar back in 2007, while everyone knew it was FNSS that was more qualified. Otokar eventually did a great job, so the people at SSM/SSB have a good judgement regarding this project. Not to mention they have more information about the Altay project, BMC, etc. then we will ever have. So you'll have to excuse me if I trust SSB just a little more than I trust you.

I repeat again, we are not manufacturing toys but tanks, you may not simply trust a start up like greedy company for this critical project just because they look promising.
For God's sake they dont have factory, they dont have engineers, they dont have employers, technicians ( well trained and suitable for Altay) but you do still believe they deserve this project because of their aggressive strategy and their soo perfect management team? This is BS but nothing, you can not point a single example in the entire history of world where a company won a tender without even a factory or staff.
You are kidding right? In big tenders like this, the investment in factories or freeing space in factories and making assembly lines always come after the tender has concluded. It they would be start investing before the tender concluded, but end up losing, then it would only cost the company. So much so that the company could be in financial trouble or even go bankrupt. Like it or not, the company management has a responsibility to it's stake- stockholders etc. In the case of BMC, Otokar, FNSS we are all stakeholders, Turkey as a whole is a stakeholder of these companies. So they aren't in a position to make stupid mistakes like that. Even if Otokar or FNSS had won the tender, they would've still have to make room in their factories or build a new factory as well, because it's bad business to they have empty factory space as that only drives up costs.

And why can't I just simply trust them? Why shouldn't I be optimistic? What's the point of being pessimistic? I only would distrust them if I saw something that would merit me distrusting them, otherwise I will always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Afterall, the company is half foreign invested, and collaborated with German companies, everyone knows how Germans and Qataris may treat us upon some crisis.
The investors behind the company is irrelevant, sermaye dusmanligi yapmaya gerek yok. The company is a Turkish company, no sanctions from Germany or Qatar can influence BMC's output. And if push would come to shove, the Turkish government could always simply nationalize the company.

A company which has proper resources may follow an aggressive strategy to grow up, if BMC had all human resources, they might design their own tank ( like otokar did) and sell it to foreign countries, or like Adik did, they could promote their products. You may not simply follow an aggessive strategy on a Tank which is critical to be in service in 5 years, this requires a solid base to grow on not an aggressive strategy. Agressive refers to a case,where you are capable of handling something properly and then stepping forward to gron on That, yet BMC has nothing regared to a Tank and we need it urgently.
Rights of all Martys will be asked upon you, and people thinking like you , the martys who have gone because Altays havent delivered on time but fought in M60s
Why can't they simply follow an aggressive business strategy? It's a sound strategy proven to have been working all over the world, has also bad examples but that is with any strategy. I don't understand why you are obsessing over this so much. It's just the strategy BMC has adopted. The serial production of the tank is a separate process, and you claim that they aren't capable of doing so. SSB does seem to think they are capable so I'm going to trust SSB's judgement on this. And yeah, the production of the tank is going slow in my opinion as well. But I am aware that I am not aware of all the facts regarding this issue, so I am not going to step over the line by claiming that they are messing up.

My personal favorite for the tender was FNSS, second favorite was BMC and third was Otokar. My rationale for putting Otokar last, was because Otokar has the know-how of building a tank. So I wanted one the other two companies to win so that they would get the know-how as well. And the reason I put FNSS first was because, in my opinion, FNSS has the best ability to innovate out of the three and was hoping that FNSS would win the tender and in the future come up with Altay derivatives and Altay A2's or something. But ultimately I wouldn't have minded any of them winning the tender as all three of these companies is ours.

And they will keep ignoring it, thanks to their ignorance. Public doesnt have any opinion about BMC,they simply can relate that the company might be adequate but people in here aware of the situation, which is worse, they are blindly saying that BMC is doing right and its the best choice.
And i worry this corrupt will be spreading all over, i am really concerned that more factories and shipyards could be sold to private or even foreigners.
Seems like genclige hitabe has legit lines referring to this situation. I never expected it would come true this way.
I worry more about the mis-information being spread and the level of our politicians/media. Which is an actual issue which causes polarization which is evident even in this thread.

Concerning privatization, in my opinion you shouldn't be afraid of that. Have an opinion about it sure, have a biased towards privatization or state-owned, that's fine too. But just be aware that both privatizing and state-ownership both have their pro's and con's.

Mesela Türkiye’yi ele alalım. Türkler’de yıllar boyu komünizme karşı savaşmıştır. 1950’lerde ülke yönetimine bizim desteğimizle Adnan Menderes gelmişti. Aslında Menderes bizimle başta gayet güzel bir diyalog kurmuştu. Bizden seçimde aldığı destek karşılığında, Marshall yardımı adı altında devamlı borç alıyor ve ülkesinde yatırımlar yaparak sanayi yapısını geliştiriyordu

Oh come onnn.. Guys.. Ya'll really obsessed -
your source? YeniAkit? come on.. really? Lets try to keep a high level so we wont end up like xenon :D

I start to belive you intentionally distort the history in order to mislead readers.

Here is some passage from the confessions of David Rockefeller about Adnan Menderes:

“Mesela Türkiye’yi ele alalım. Türkler’de yıllar boyu komünizme karşı savaşmıştır. 1950’lerde ülke yönetimine bizim desteğimizle Adnan Menderes gelmişti. Aslında Menderes bizimle başta gayet güzel bir diyalog kurmuştu. Bizden seçimde aldığı destek karşılığında, Marshall yardımı adı altında devamlı borç alıyor ve ülkesinde yatırımlar yaparak sanayi yapısını geliştiriyordu.”

For those interested in how the Islam abusers and PKK terrorism were born can find some clue in his confessions.
Feel free to fact check my post.
Marshall plan got activated before Menderes got elected and officially started in january of 1947 in Turkey.

Erol Mütercimler, who is pro-CHP, had a good speech on tv about how NATO (gladio) used Kemalizm to destabilize Turkey and go after it's own interests, and lamented about how that wasn't true Kemalizm.
In this case he only talked about Kemalizm (if I recall correctly), I don't remember him explicitly saying that they (gladio, CIA, etc.) use any and all ideologies they can and corrupt them in order to further their own interest, but it did come down to it. I can't give you a source here, because I coincidently watched it on tv.

Their (CIA, etc.) tactic is to support opposing ideologies and corrupt them to go after their own interests, and try to polarize and destabilize a country or a region. Like what we had seen in Iraq, Sunni Shia etc. In the case of Turkey, PKK, DHKP-C etc are all products of these tactics.

You see, ideologies like Islamism, nationalism, communism etc. are all ideologies that are used to destabilize nations all over the world. ISIS for instance claim they are Muslims and follow Islam, but everything they do goes against all the principles of Islam, they even try to specifically recruit those that don't even have a basic understanding of Islam (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...tanding-of-islam-radicalisation-a7877706.html). This is so it is easy to manipulate them. PKK, FARC and all other terrorist groups use the exact same tactic, different sides of the same coin (speculation --> suggesting they have the same master maybe???).

Last edited:
No the point is, that everyone that thinks they are aware of the situation, but their 'facts' are all based on conjecture. The real point is that there is no way of knowing how BMC is operating, unless you are part of the management at BMC, or a thorough report has been written and published about BMC's effectivity and efficiency.

Sorry, but I take SSB's conclusion over your opinion any day. It was also SSB that gave the Altay tender to Otokar back in 2007, while everyone knew it was FNSS that was more qualified. Otokar eventually did a great job, so the people at SSM/SSB have a good judgement regarding this project. Not to mention they have more information about the Altay project, BMC, etc. then we will ever have. So you'll have to excuse me if I trust SSB just a little more than I trust you.

You are kidding right? In big tenders like this, the investment in factories or freeing space in factories and making assembly lines always come after the tender has concluded. It they would be start investing before the tender concluded, but end up losing, then it would only cost the company. So much so that the company could be in financial trouble or even go bankrupt. Like it or not, the company management has a responsibility to it's stake- stockholders etc. In the case of BMC, Otokar, FNSS we are all stakeholders, Turkey as a whole is a stakeholder of these companies. So they aren't in a position to make stupid mistakes like that. Even if Otokar or FNSS had won the tender, they would've still have to make room in their factories or build a new factory as well, because it's bad business to they have empty factory space as that only drives up costs.

And why can't I just simply trust them? Why shouldn't I be optimistic? What's the point of being pessimistic? I only would distrust them if I saw something that would merit me distrusting them, otherwise I will always give them the benefit of the doubt.

The investors behind the company is irrelevant, sermaye dusmanligi yapmaya gerek yok. The company is a Turkish company, no sanctions from Germany or Qatar can influence BMC's output. And if push would come to shove, the Turkish government could always simply nationalize the company.

Why can't they simply follow an aggressive business strategy? It's a sound strategy proven to have been working all over the world, has also bad examples but that is with any strategy. I don't understand why you are obsessing over this so much. It's just the strategy BMC has adopted. The serial production of the tank is a separate process, and you claim that they aren't capable of doing so. SSB does seem to think they are capable so I'm going to trust SSB's judgement on this. And yeah, the production of the tank is going slow in my opinion as well. But I am aware that I am not aware of all the facts regarding this issue, so I am not going to step over the line by claiming that they are messing up.

My personal favorite for the tender was FNSS, second favorite was BMC and third was Otokar. My rationale for putting Otokar last, was because Otokar has the know-how of building a tank. So I wanted one the other two companies to win so that they would get the know-how as well. And the reason I put FNSS first was because, in my opinion, FNSS has the best ability to innovate out of the three and was hoping that FNSS would win the tender and in the future come up with Altay derivatives and Altay A2's or something. But ultimately I wouldn't have minded any of them winning the tender as all three of these companies is ours.

I worry more about the mis-information being spread and the level of our politicians/media. Which is an actual issue which causes polarization which is evident even in this thread.

Concerning privatization, in my opinion you shouldn't be afraid of that. Have an opinion about it sure, have a biased towards privatization or state-owned, that's fine too. But just be aware that both privatizing and state-ownership both have their pro's and con's.
I simply will tell a few things ,since absoultely its useless to talk further.
* Everyone knows the tender was unfair and corrupted, BMC won with pure political reasons.
* BMC even couldnt build up a factory and assembly line, thus now Tank Palet is being sold to them. Yet leave this away,BMC wasnt bothered about training the staff for a possible serial production they were pretty sure since the beginning that something will be delivered to them. The road is paved by one KHK earlier ( privatisation or utilization of state factories) and by the current one ( privatisation of Tank Palet) . It more smells like, the first one has been offered to BMC,but instead of utilising the factory they somehow preffered to acquire it, which even smells something worse is going to happen.
* Deal has been delayed so that BMC could get prepared and fulfilled the agreement , finally, despite of the fact that BMC hasnt done any preparation ,with the pressure of the President the deal is inked by SSB.
* Whomever has built the prototype should have had the serial production , we are aware that Altay wont be produced in a dozen thousands scale. And its useless to deliver knowledge to others, it it was the real desire.then consortium should have formed ( FNSS / Otokar) .
* If privatisation is needed this much ,everyone knows who should be first in defence industry ( MKE)
* Tank Palet isnt a profit targeted company, its the factory of military for maintenance and overhauling , it simply exists for a reason to serve but not for profit. Privatisation in this case should be questioned.
* Finally i can say again, BMC whatsoever isnt adequate for this project and they have proven it for asking out Tank Palet's privatisation.
* What i referred to - a company without factory - was already understood by whom knows the matter. You rather tried to pull it aside for replying purposes. FNSS and Otokar has better facilities and production lines, they also do have staff who can handle the work, BMC hasnt got it. And it is already clear, BMC couldnt even enlarge, improvize current capabilities but chosen a way of acquiring Tank Palet for this purpose. This already indicates BMC didnt have proper facilities ( even not promising ones) suitable with tender.
* It was quite a mess in tender, BMC has got the tender because they were chosen for super something, and they were chosen for super something because they have got the tender ( egg and chicken frame but both existed at the same time) .
* Investors does matter in defence industry, like happened earlier BMC could have stopped the production for financial purposes in case of anything might happen ( investors could withdraw, or sanctions may occur) . I wouldnt like to see a foreign investor ( doesnt matter whom, it has already been proven that we shouldnt trust anybody on critical projects) in this kind of critical projects.

If politics and corruption did not come and ruin everything, Turkey would be having Altay tanks right now which is perfect for its upcoming operations.

What a waste, Turkish people do have a lot of patientence to be able to deal with this sort of betrayals.

Back
Top Bottom