What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

What engine was Otokar going to put in the tank? The one the Germans will refuse to export to Turkey, the Ukrainian one which isn't suitable, or the one that doesn't exist because Otokar never bothered to design one?

Even though the government won't admit it, the delay with the Altay is due to a lack of engine - a delay which would've affected Otokar just as much had they won the contract. It will keep being delayed until relations with Germany improve enough that an engine export is possible or BMC finishes development of their tank engine.

Here’s a solution Otokar builds the tank, BMC builds the engine. It’s not like BMC had an engine this whole time either. They are just now getting the engine ready. BMC never had something that Otokar didn’t.

Here’s a solution Otokar builds the tank, BMC builds the engine. It’s not like BMC had an engine this whole time either. They are just now getting the engine ready. BMC never had something that Otokar didn’t.

BMC is using the 250 engines bought from Germany before the sanctions. So much for their argument. If you read the shit some of them write you would think BMC had an 10/10 engine Turkish made ready. They can’t even build an factory to build the tank.

“OtOkAr DoEsNt HaVe An EnGiNe, ThEy WeRe GoNa UsE gErMaN oNeS”

“BMC uses German tanks for first 250 and there will be likely not any more Altays than that”

“YeAh BuT”

If BMC was capable of producing the tank and had started when the Tank was ready for serial production in 2016 no one here would bat an eye but when you go and delay and sabotage tenders for 2-3 years just so you can give a tender to one specific company then yeah I’m gonna call you out. Be it BMC, be it Otokar, be it FNSS.

Last edited:
BMC is using the 250 engines bought from Germany before the sanctions. So much for their argument. If you read the shit some of them write you would think BMC had an 10/10 engine Turkish made ready. They can’t even build an factory to build the tank.

“OtOkAr DoEsNt HaVe An EnGiNe, ThEy WeRe GoNa UsE gErMaN oNeS”

“BMC uses German tanks for first 250 and there will be likely not any more Altays than that”

“YeAh BuT”

If BMC was capable of producing the tank and had started when the Tank was ready for serial production in 2016 no one here would bat an eye but when you go and delay and sabotage tenders for 2-3 years just so you can give a tender to one specific company then yeah I’m gonna call you out. Be it BMC, be it Otokar, be it FNSS.
Anyone that knows anything about this project knew the first 250 tanks were going to use MTU tanks to begin with, while a domestic engine would be created in the meantime. This was the project roadmap from the start, no matter who would've won the tender.

And when Otokar got the tender for the development of the tank back in 2007, it was clearly stated even back then that there would be a tender for serial production but Otokar would get first bid rights. Otokar gave the first bid to SSM (now SSB), but wasn't accepted so they went into the tender proper. The end result of which BMC won, much to the annoyance of some people, which stems purely out of political reflexes by the way.

Back in 2007, it came as a shock that Otokar had actually gotten the job for developing the tank. Even Though FNSS was the better option. But apparently the people spearheading this project knew stuff that the rest of us didn't and Otokar eventually got the job and they did an excellent job with it.

BMC couldn't have started production back in 2016, because the tender was held in 2017 and concluded in 2018. Only in recent october did they sign the actual contract for serial production. This wouldn't had been any different if Otokar or FNSS had won. And according to this contract the first tank must be ready 18 months after signing. Those are the facts, any other claims are false, unless actually confirmed by officials. And yeah, I know it is frustrating and it takes too long for our taste. But that is how life is, delays are bound to happen. You can expect delays with other huge projects as well, but hopefully there won't be any delays.

I'm sure we'll hear more details during IDEF 2019 or even earlier. Till then I'm sure it'll be pure speculation, conjecture and slander.

No you wouldn't. The only reason you are 'calling it out' is because it supplements towards your political opinions and that is why you are twisting it in such a fashion that it implies that the people in charge are corrupt, but completely forgetting or ignoring that the national tank project was their project and brainchild in the first place.

About BMC everyone can see the video of Ethem Sancak that he says I sold everything before buying BMC and that was not All my money and we divided with my brothers because they didnt want to move with me.
And said I need partnership because of finance and I found a Turkish business man and Qatar Royal Army(%49).
This is the business. This is the risk share. No country can do anything big if you cant export it.(exp Sweeden)If they cant sell jas39 I am sure they cant going on devoloping in the Long future term with their goverment money.
Does USA need any country's Technology to develope F35?No ,but needs risk share.
We need countries' partnerships over every big project of us from the begining because of easy finance, gurantee export and risk share. We are not rich as USA.If we dont find money from abroud we cant spend 16billion USD for defence+ Finance of the big projects R&D 60billion in total (devide it to years) + for every new product we need to spend money for serial production.
A tank nearly 10 million each means 1000 tank costs 10 billion USD.If We look from Qatar side they will spend money and earn nothing and only will buy tank.Is it normal?

Qatar has need to turn over its money. If we were their position Turkey wants Technology transfer and wants factory production in Turkey. Before talking about everything of Altay we must know the real situation especially the economic one.

Last edited:
Right its everyones fault but goverment :-) Goverment is holy and innocent as always :-) Better just accuse Jews for sabotaging the project.:rofl:

Are you crazy? My post didn't place blame on anyone or even talk about blame. Next time you want to call someone else delusional, look in the mirror first.

One thing that stops Turkey from moving forward is corruption.

Resmen corruption even destroys the defence of a nation like the defence industry what a shame to be honest.

What i dont understand is they gave BMC the tender and said they will build a new factory, now BMC cancelled it and will get a public factory for very cheap.

So in Short, BMC neither had:
-the know how on building Tanks
-the factory
-the engine
-nor do we know whether they were the cheapest,
or any other advantage over other contenders for that matter.
The only thing BMC had was a islamist CEO thats friends with Erdogan, now dont come up with ''you are thinking biased because you hate Erdogan''.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck then its a duck simple as that.
And the best is not only that it wont get questioned but your fanatic supporters will find any excuse if you dare to say anything, being a politician in Turkey must be a dream job tbh.

Who is the guy in the video? Now I understand some people don't want the factory to be privatized. But they really need to come up with solid arguments as to why it shouldn't be privatized. Currently all they are doing is using emotional arguments.

They question this moves with arguments such as: "what we supposedly aren't able to do, the Qatari's will be able to do?"
Arguments like this isn't a good argument at all and here is why. Tank palet fabrikasi is a company that already has the knowhow and machinery etc. In other words, the investors that would wish to buy this company don't have to even be in the sector for them to manage the company properly if they were to buy it.

In other words, for example if I had the money, even I could buy the company despite me not know a thing about it. All I have to be good at is knowing how to efficiently run a company/business, and hire the necessary people with the right know how, but in this case I wouldn't even have to do that, as they are already at the company.

And we see this all over the world, companies being bought up by investment and private equity firms and they actually perform better, or worse in some cases. But that is how business works.

The reason for to rent the company away for 20 years is because of efficiency and effectivity as it states in the resmigazete: http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2018/12/20181220-2.pdf

Especially this part is important:
upload_2018-12-27_18-58-24.png

So what I would recommend the leadership at tank palet fabrikasi, is to actually come up with counter arguments to what is written here. Especially the 'yeni is/uretim imkanlari' part, if they can come up with an argument and roadmap for 'yeni is/uretim imkanlari', then they have a good counter-argument.

And how I personally feel about this privatization? I don't really care either way with a slight lean towards privatization, because I have a bias towards privatizing companies, even though both public and private have their own positives and negatives. But in either case it will be our company so I don't mind either way.

What i dont understand is they gave BMC the tender and said they will build a new factory, now BMC cancelled it and will get a public factory for very cheap.

So in Short, BMC neither had:
-the know how on building Tanks
-the factory
-the engine
-nor do we know whether they were the cheapest,
or any other advantage over other contenders for that matter.
You are right on that though. It can be frustrating to find info about any of the projects

The only thing BMC had was a islamist CEO thats friends with Erdogan, now dont come up with ''you are thinking biased because you hate Erdogan''.

And the best is not only that it wont get questioned but your fanatic supporters will find any excuse if you dare to say anything, being a politician in Turkey must be a dream job tbh.

The Karasu factory is not cancelled, according to Ismail Demir, from an interview in october (it's on some one of the previous pages). BMC's Karasu plant isn't solely planned as a factory for tanks, it's also planned to build high speed trains (hizli tren, not yuksek hizli tren). So even if they find a different venue for developing tanks, they will still have to build the factory in Karasu in order to produce the trains.

SSB has the know how, and BMC will work in direction and command of SSB (Which was also the case with Otokar, btw).

Otokar and FNSS would've had the same problems when it comes to factory. No company in the world has free space just sitting there, that would mean inefficiency which means money loss. All these companies need to wait for confirmation in order to make a new factory, or otherwise free up space in their existing factories. And it wouldn't be wise to make large investments like that if the deal isn't finalized yet.

One could argue that Otokar has the space for tanks, as they developed the prototypes. But I don't know, developing prototypes require less space then full on serial production.

-the engine
So?
The first 250 tanks are going to be a foreign engine, which was know from the very start of the project a decade ago.

You already know the answer as you already answered it, even though you don't agree with it.
But BMC deserves the benefit of the doubt, Why? The answer to this is simple. Just analyze the strategy and medium to long term goals of the company and you have your answer. BMC is in every tender and consistently offers the lowest offers in many of these tenders, they also expand into varying new sectors including engine development, tank development, trains, among others. Which suggests that they want to become a multi-faceted company, like a Hitachi or something.

BMC has adopted an aggressive strategy of expanding and are taking many risks as a company. Because expanding into various sectors and taking on many tenders, can pay out big, but is also highly risky. If it turns south, it could even bankrupt the company (risk istahi yuksek bir stratejisi var). Offering the lowest in tenders, means you have to be more efficient than your competition. Otherwise, even though you do more business then your competitors, your returns/margins are lower. Which doesn't help BMC, unless they are willing to take the hit for other reason like brand awareness, or gathering know how for the company if the know-how or some other reason.

FNSS and Otokar don't have an aggressive strategy or aren't going into different sectors. Otokar doesn't really have to as it's parent company is already in different sectors. And both Otokar and FNSS are doing business in foreign countries, so I understand if they aren't willing to take on a more aggressive approach, for now at least.

None of these strategies are wrong in any way. It's all about how much risk a company is willing to take and their short, medium and long term goals. So all these strategies that are adopted by these companies are good in their own right.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Who is the guy in the video? Now I understand some people don't want the factory to be privatized. But they really need to come up with solid arguments as to why it shouldn't be privatized. Currently all they are doing is using emotional arguments.

They question this moves with arguments such as: "what we supposedly aren't able to do, the Qatari's will be able to do?"
Arguments like this isn't a good argument at all and here is why. Tank palet fabrikasi is a company that already has the knowhow and machinery etc. In other words, the investors that would wish to buy this company don't have to even be in the sector for them to manage the company properly if they were to buy it.

In other words, for example if I had the money, even I could buy the company despite me not know a thing about it. All I have to be good at is knowing how to efficiently run a company/business, and hire the necessary people with the right know how, but in this case I wouldn't even have to do that, as they are already at the company.

And we see this all over the world, companies being bought up by investment and private equity firms and they actually perform better, or worse in some cases. But that is how business works.

The reason for to rent the company away for 20 years is because of efficiency and effectivity as it states in the resmigazete: http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2018/12/20181220-2.pdf

Especially this part is important: View attachment 529075

So what I would recommend the leadership at tank palet fabrikasi, is to actually come up with counter arguments to what is written here. Especially the 'yeni is/uretim imkanlari' part, if they can come up with an argument and roadmap for 'yeni is/uretim imkanlari', then they have a good counter-argument.

And how I personally feel about this privatization? I don't really care either way with a slight lean towards privatization, because I have a bias towards privatizing companies, even though both public and private have their own positives and negatives. But in either case it will be our company so I don't mind either way.

The Karasu factory is not cancelled, according to Ismail Demir, from an interview in october (it's on some one of the previous pages). BMC's Karasu plant isn't solely planned as a factory for tanks, it's also planned to build high speed trains (hizli tren, not yuksek hizli tren). So even if they find a different venue for developing tanks, they will still have to build the factory in Karasu in order to produce the trains.

SSB has the know how, and BMC will work in direction and command of SSB (Which was also the case with Otokar, btw).

Otokar and FNSS would've had the same problems when it comes to factory. No company in the world has free space just sitting there, that would mean inefficiency which means money loss. All these companies need to wait for confirmation in order to make a new factory, or otherwise free up space in their existing factories. And it wouldn't be wise to make large investments like that if the deal isn't finalized yet.

One could argue that Otokar has the space for tanks, as they developed the prototypes. But I don't know, developing prototypes require less space then full on serial production.

So?
The first 250 tanks are going to be a foreign engine, which was know from the very start of the project a decade ago.

You already know the answer as you already answered it, even though you don't agree with it.
But BMC deserves the benefit of the doubt, Why? The answer to this is simple. Just analyze the strategy and medium to long term goals of the company and you have your answer. BMC is in every tender and consistently offers the lowest offers in many of these tenders, they also expand into varying new sectors including engine development, tank development, trains, among others. Which suggests that they want to become a multi-faceted company, like a Hitachi or something.

BMC has adopted an aggressive strategy of expanding and are taking many risks as a company. Because expanding into various sectors and taking on many tenders, can pay out big, but is also highly risky. If it turns south, it could even bankrupt the company (risk istahi yuksek bir stratejisi var). Offering the lowest in tenders, means you have to be more efficient than your competition. Otherwise, even though you do more business then your competitors, your returns/margins are lower. Which doesn't help BMC, unless they are willing to take the hit for other reason like brand awareness, or gathering know how for the company if the know-how or some other reason.

FNSS and Otokar don't have an aggressive strategy or aren't going into different sectors. Otokar doesn't really have to as it's parent company is already in different sectors. And both Otokar and FNSS are doing business in foreign countries, so I understand if they aren't willing to take on a more aggressive approach, for now at least.

None of these strategies are wrong in any way. It's all about how much risk a company is willing to take and their short, medium and long term goals. So all these strategies that are adopted by these companies are good in their own right.

You can google Karasu Factory, the construction halted and now we get news about privatisation of Tank Palet... counting 1+1 there is only one result.
Edit; also remeber that Otokar claimed they have the nessary capacity to start the production tomorrow if they want so yeah they have the factory apparently.

About engine, im not saying others have it but BMC doesnt have it either but at least others have experince in the business to some degree while BMC is missing all of it so whats its advantage over others? Were they even cheaper? Why dont they publish which company offered what?
I know the answer but im asking rethorically why BMC was choosen over others.

And lastly about company strategies, its a lot speculation but one thing is for sure if you have the goverment behind you, giving you even tax discounts and very likely get more tenders than you can even produce then you can afford being risky because you will win in the end anyways.

Sry but i always say it and will keep repeating it, corruption kills competition, which in turn kills quality and competitiveness of Turkish companies.
The winners are the cronies, loser is Turkish nation.

Last edited:
Did you guys remeber the countless BAFO's? (best and final offer)

Especially this part is important: View attachment 529075

So?

You can not simply support companies with high risk strategy for defence industry. This is not manufacuting toys, not making some chocolate, Defence industry should be given at trustworthy hands.
We have seen this play once in Turk Telekom, bla bla bla private management , bla bla private planning and financials the result is there, a scrappy Turk Telekom in bankruptcy with almost no essential developments achieved in basic level ( average internet speed sucks)
So what is the relation here?
The military factory has already been running smoothly with fine equipments ( a real dashing ones) with qualified employers, engineers, welders, manufacturers , a well established site plan,
But wait a minute,
Shouldnt a company who has won a billion liras tender actually achieve these on their own? It has been a decade we have beem saying " qualified workers are essential for defence industry " BMC hasnt arose any ears, instead clogged their ears and looked down .
I wont be surprised if this military factory ends the same way as Turk Telekom with employers fired, equipments sold, in bankruptcy. And naval shipyard will also end this way, the eager for its field is way more than eager for naval ships, they are desiring to build luxury residences and others at that location , so more likely soon it will be privatized and maybe high risk strategy adopted highly greedy BMC will even get their hands in shipbuilding because a company can be perfect in everything and simply they can just handle the business management, but let everything else run smoothly on the field, naturally?
Sorry guy, we are not making chocolate or toilet papers here, its a tank ,for God's sake and it cant be handed over to a greedy aggressive company made of who knows what just by " hopes " that they will achieve it.
Everyone knows those particular companies who gets tender by pure political reasons without any technical or financial background.
One more note, probably BMC gives the cheapest offer but there is something called " surge " which eventually grants more payment to BMC if the costs of products are surpassing the the amount offered in tender. Probably BMC will get a huge, mid project payment ( they already got low interest credits under some terms) , for closing the gap.
And not always the cheapest offer wins, its the best offer which is granted with project and there are plenty of examples out there. The cheapest, trusted,and assured offer wins a casual tender. ( tcg anadolu wasnt cheapest offer , others also exists)
Tanks are not built with financial company strategies, finances, planning, they are not built with being highly initiative, they are built with proper employers, facilities, a good design and sub contractor planning ( which otokar and fnss currently perfectly has) BMC has nothing to build the tank just because they are curious to build it, like a little kid in kitchem willing to use the knife to chop, the military factory shouldnt be given to them to play, try and fool around.
Believe me, noone would ever ,never dare to risk. Those equipments and employers at military factories and shipyards, military grade worls isnt blunt as any industrial work ,they require hand skills, and a well developed experience with a culture grown in that factory, with the soul.

Sorry guy, we are not making chocolate or toilet papers here, its a tank ,for God's sake and it cant be handed over to a greedy aggressive company made of who knows what just by " hopes " that they will achieve it.
We have been talking about all the corruption while completely ignoring this factor, everyone acts as if BMC will have success on their ambitions which still remains to be seen.
What we have seen so far doesnt look good at all tbh.

You can google Karasu Factory, the construction halted and now we get news about privatisation of Tank Palet... counting 1+1 there is only one result.
Edit; also remeber that Otokar claimed they have the nessary capacity to start the production tomorrow if they want so yeah they have the factory apparently.

About engine, im not saying others have it but BMC doesnt have it either but at least others have experince in the business to some degree while BMC is missing all of it so whats its advantage over others? Were they even cheaper? Why dont they publish which company offered what?
I know the answer but im asking rethorically why BMC was choosen over others.

And lastly about company strategies, its a lot speculation but one thing is for sure if you have the goverment behind you, giving you even tax discounts and very likely get more tenders than you can even produce then you can afford being risky because you will win in the end anyways.

Sry but i always say it and will keep repeating it, corruption kills competition, which in turn kills quality and competitiveness of Turkish companies.
I know about the construction being halted, Ismail Demir interview came after this and touched upon the issue. And unless he or some other official says it's confirmed to be cancelled, we can only assume it's only been halted/paused for the time being.

Claiming that BMC is winning these tenders by being corrupt is pure speculation. To be honest, there is no one that knows if there is corruption involved, so any claims to corruption would simply be slander at this point and not to mention attacking the credibility and dignity of the people at SSB and everyone else involved in the tender processes. But that is the whole point behind it anyway. The one's claiming this, aren't doing so because they themselves believe it. They are doing it so others will believe it. And think about it, if there was actual corruption involved, then Otokar and FNSS would've complained and taken it to court for the cancelation of the tender (ihale'ye fesat karistirmak, vesayre). Would've also been the case for any of the other tenders as well.

You can not simply support companies with high risk strategy for defence industry.
What do you mean? Having an aggressive strategy isn't good or bad, it just depends on the company profile, how they would position themselves and what they wish to achieve in the near future. So basically what I said was that BMC has adopted a strategy of aggressive growth relative to the competition.

Aggressive strategy can work in the defence industry as well. Think about it, if you look at Turkish defence industry, I would say the Turkish state also adopted an aggressive strategy. It started off with small projects, produce under license, and step by step they have/are started with Original Equipment Manufacturing (OEM). Currently they are at 65% local production but wish to take in to 80%+ with all strategic equipment being locally developed, or at the very least have the know how to develop it if the need would arise.

If you look at industry frontrunner Aselsan, compare it with 5, 10 or 15+ years ago it has multiplied it's own size. And TAI also has a fairly aggressive strategy, it wants to grow it's turnover from 2 billion to 10 billion $ in 5 or 10 years (can't remember the exact years). All this is a reflection of the aggressive expansion strategy of the Turkish defence industry as a whole. Because TAI and Aselsan can't reach these growth target if the domestic TR industry doesn't supplement it.

Our industry had a 2 billion $ export target in 2018, which it has reached according to Ismail Demir. They are targeting 25 billion $ by 2023, which Ismail Demir himself admits is very ambitious. So I would say the Turkish defence industry itself has an aggressive strategy and so far it has worked out.

This is not manufacuting toys, not making some chocolate, Defence industry should be given at trustworthy hands.
No offence, but just because you don't trust them doesn't mean they aren't trustworthy. The only reason for this mistrust is because of politics. I went more in depth on this topic in post #4219, in which I talked about "FUD".

We have seen this play once in Turk Telekom, bla bla bla private management , bla bla private planning and financials the result is there, a scrappy Turk Telekom in bankruptcy with almost no essential developments achieved in basic level ( average internet speed sucks)
So what is the relation here?
The military factory has already been running smoothly with fine equipments ( a real dashing ones) with qualified employers, engineers, welders, manufacturers , a well established site plan,
But wait a minute,
Shouldnt a company who has won a billion liras tender actually achieve these on their own? It has been a decade we have beem saying " qualified workers are essential for defence industry " BMC hasnt arose any ears, instead clogged their ears and looked down .
I wont be surprised if this military factory ends the same way as Turk Telekom with employers fired, equipments sold, in bankruptcy. And naval shipyard will also end this way, the eager for its field is way more than eager for naval ships, they are desiring to build luxury residences and others at that location , so more likely soon it will be privatized and maybe high risk strategy adopted highly greedy BMC will even get their hands in shipbuilding because a company can be perfect in everything and simply they can just handle the business management, but let everything else run smoothly on the field, naturally?
Everyone knows those particular companies who gets tender by pure political reasons without any technical or financial background.
One more note, probably BMC gives the cheapest offer but there is something called " surge " which eventually grants more payment to BMC if the costs of products are surpassing the the amount offered in tender. Probably BMC will get a huge, mid project payment ( they already got low interest credits under some terms) , for closing the gap.
And not always the cheapest offer wins, its the best offer which is granted with project and there are plenty of examples out there. The cheapest, trusted,and assured offer wins a casual tender. ( tcg anadolu wasnt cheapest offer , others also exists)
Tanks are not built with financial company strategies, finances, planning, they are not built with being highly initiative, they are built with proper employers, facilities, a good design and sub contractor planning ( which otokar and fnss currently perfectly has) BMC has nothing to build the tank just because they are curious to build it, like a little kid in kitchem willing to use the knife to chop, the military factory shouldnt be given to them to play, try and fool around.
Believe me, noone would ever ,never dare to risk. Those equipments and employers at military factories and shipyards, military grade worls isnt blunt as any industrial work ,they require hand skills, and a well developed experience with a culture grown in that factory, with the soul.
You don't have high hopes for BMC and think they will fail, from what I understand from your post.
I'm not going to defend them, because I don't know. Personally I think they can handle it, judging off of how they are handling the engine projects, Kirpi's, etc. But ultimately I don't know and only time will tell, I do wish they will accomplish their tasks though.

And if they do end up failing, then you can say: "I told you so".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom