What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Turkey doesnt have any chance in the middle east with this puppet leaders.

why do you blame them? is there any Altay yet? no. if we get the contract is there suitable factory to build hundreds of them? no. how about supply chain, is it ready and working? no.

currently Altay is zero.
I agree, Pakistan or Indonesia are buying in China or Korea cuz they need those tools ASAP and they can't wait for TR BUT we have to keep in mind that Korean tank uses same Renk trans and MTU engine as Altay does but Germans have no problem when Koreans sold them to Indonesia! If TR would do the same Germans would block the sale immediately! I'm sure TR leadership knows that and will force independance in all critical areas so when they are ready to offer 100% domestic devices many muslim countrys will be there to buy them.

I don't think this is going to happen even if Altay is ready.

Oman was testing Altay. But with tensions in the Gulf rising and Omani fears of agresive Saudi-UAE axis, they need these tanks systems sooner rather then later. UAE dominated region in Yemen bordersOmani region which was the stronghold of the last Omani rebelion. So... they are kinda in a hurry. On top of their refusal to fall in line with KSA-UAE on metters of Yemeni war, Qatari crisis, there is a issue of succsesion, current Sultan is batling cancer for years, and succsesion in Oman is a bit complicated affair so there are fears that KSA-UAE might try to exploit that period to destabilaze the Sultanate. Oman already accused UAE of meddling in Omani affairs, they allegedly busted some UAE spy network a year ago.

Turkey maybe lost Altay contract for the time being but FNSS did make good money earlier. And will continue to do so in coming years. I wouldn be suprised if military to military cooperation is soon established, mirroring latests Turkey-Kuwaiti deal. When Turkey sent its troops to Qatar year ago and posibly stopped military invasion of Qatar, many took notice of that.

Last edited:
Don't be upset, Qatar is already locked in.
With the dynamics of their region, the political and military threats I just hope that the situation will not push them for an urgent need for a tank. If that happens I am not sure if we will be able to catch up of course if they (Qatar) don't build another factory in order to fasten the production and meet their needs.

Don't be upset, Qatar is already locked in.

Qatar, posibly even Oman fruther in the future. Its quite interesting that they opred out for K2 Pnather and not some of Western counterparts. Oman has some Chelengers 2 in their tank fleed. But instead they went for K2,k which coincidentl< shares some of the key futures with Altay, starting with chassis. Which brings me to conclusion, that Omanis liked what they saw in testing of Altay, just that timeframe wasnt good enough, and they opted for its korean cousin. And if or when they decide to enrich its modernasied fllet fruther, by the time ALtay will be in full serial production of inproved T2 version it will not need much of adjustion in terms of training, meintanaiced, they will just upgrade its fleed with Turkish version which will by then be mor supperior.

Also, one needs to keep in mind, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan... and some other nations.

Also, new deal with Oman is just signed for turkish patrol boats. So there is a strong conncetion already made. Omanis are more then satisfied with FNSS vehicles, they just displayed them in a joint exercize with the Brits. One Brit comme ntator noting that for the time being Omani forces have much advanced AVI vehickle fleed then the Brits. :)

Turkish-Qatari armoured vehicles manufacturer BMC's CEO, Ethem Sancak, said during the signing ceremony of Altay MBT that both the SSB and the Turkish Armed Forces had requested that the tanks be 100% locally produced. As a result, the company terminated its partnership with Rheinmetall through the Rheinmetall BMC Savunma Sanayi ve Tic AŞ (RBSS) consortium, without actually naming the German company, for the joint serial production of Altay tanks. The foreign partnership would only provide consultancy services, he added.

From: https://www.janes.com/article/84530...erial-production-contract-with-bmc?from_rss=1

With the dynamics of their region, the political and military threats I just hope that the situation will not push them for an urgent need for a tank. If that happens I am not sure if we will be able to catch up of course if they (Qatar) don't build another factory in order to fasten the production and meet their needs.

Forgot to mention, Qatar has in order close to 70 Leopards2A7, I think almost half of them are delivered. And they ordered shitload of turkish armor vehicles with ATGM lunchers, tank killers.

Last edited:
Altay Tank mass production will be at Tankpalet factory which is 500 meters away from Otokar factory. (BMC will bring its own equipment to the factory.)
Note: The Tank-Palet Factory owned by Turkish Armed Forces where Fırtına SPH’s produced before.

Last edited:
but production has been signed off

and first 40 units are due to be handed over to the army within 18 months?

Turkish self protection and jamming systems seem to have been working well in real life environments, remember the Turkish Blackhawk on the mountain top whose system detected the ATGM

would be good to see the APS in action

a tank factory is the corner stone of any heavy industry

Back
Top Bottom