What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Right now we're in this weird situation where our first MBT is going to be produced by ;
  • 39% German company
  • 26% Turkish company
  • 25% Qatar company
  • 10% Malaysian company
Allrighty then.
Qatar has no say when it comes to business decisions of BMC. As far as I know, they only have few Qatari citizens in the management. There is not one single Qatari in the R&D section. On top of that, Qatar is the reason why BMC is able to invest huge amounts of money in engine tech, according to rumours. I don't know why people complain about Doha's involvement. Is it because they're not secular?
The Qataris would pray in front of Atatürk's mausoleum if they have to. They need the support of the Turkish state regardless of who is in charge in Ankara.

Right now we're in this weird situation where our first MBT is going to be produced by ;
  • 39% German company
  • 26% Turkish company
  • 25% Qatar company
  • 10% Malaysian company
Allrighty then.
So now we can say it's aى indigenous main battle tank :mad::mad::mad:
if we cancel the project i think it's better

RHEINMETALL BMC DEFENCE INDUSTRY INC.

Uğur Mumcu Sok. No: 4 06700
GOP / ÇANKAYA / ANKARA / TURKEY

T: +90 (312) 939 41 00
F: +90 (312) 939 41 01
Still not happy with it, i would prefer a National Tank instead.

Come on guys. You all know that this is what we got, and we might as well spend our energy on analysing the JV construction and finding out how/which critical components we don't produce ourselves. Of course I expect that sort of information to be a secret from the public, since Altay was/is suppose to be an indigenous tank and not one imported. But I think we should give it a go anyway, if our analysis proves to be good who knows it might cause a public outcry.

Some people think that if Otokar got the contract, the tank would be 100% indigenous. Blaming Germans while everybody knows that Germans are one of the best if it comes to creating parts for tanks etc.

The tank self is a indigenous design. I dont know how many parts are made by Turkey self but again there is a huge lack of drive and power unit engineering for heavy weight vehicles. BMC isnt capable of making power units for now but for future with help from its partners, sure it will make one.

Last edited:
whoa-calm-down-monkey-heres-your-banana.jpg

stick the banana up your ***. Corruption is corruption, nepotism is nepotism. We assumed the worst and we got the worst. Of each Lira profit in the Altay production over 50% will land in foreign hands. Also scratch indigenous. And not every defense product has to be 100% Turkish, if Rheinmetalls gun is so much superior that fine after all Altay should be good performing tank. But this deal reeks.

Last edited:
stick the banana up your ***. Corruption is corruption, nepotism is nepotism. We assumed the worst and we got the worst. Of each Lira profit in the Altay production over 50% will land in foreign hands. Also scratch indigenous. And not every defense product has to be 100% Turkish, if Rheinmetalls gun is so much superior that fine after all Altay should be good performing tank. But this deal reeks.
Dont talk trash. If you have solid proof of corruption, add. You dont have proof? Be quite.

Come on guys. You all know that this is what we got, and we might as well spend our energy on analysing the JV construction and finding out how/which critical components we don't produce ourselves. Of course I expect that sort of information to be a secret from the public, since Altay was/is suppose to be an indigenous tank and not one imported. But I think we should give it a go anyway, if our analysis proves to be good who knows it might cause a public outcry.
Some people think that if Otokar got the contract, the tank would be 100% indigenous. Blaming Germans while everybody knows that Germans are one of the best if it comes to creating parts for tanks etc.

The tank is an indigenous design. I dont know how many parts are made by Turkey self but again there is a huge lack of drive and power unit engineering for heavy weight vehicles. BMC isnt capable of making power units for now but for future with help from its partners, sure it will make one.
39% German company
26% Turkish company
25% Qatar company
10% Malaysian company
Allrighty then.
The financiers behind the companies is irrelevant. What is important is to whom the rights to the tank belongs to.

The rights for Altay belong to SSM. They only give a company (in this case BMC) to manufacture and assemble the tank (not design it). If SSM was so inclined, they could decide to manufacture the whole tank in China and then import it. It would still be a Turkish tank. It would be 'Milli', but not so much 'yerli' because it would have been developed in China in this case.

If for instance Rheinmetal (with no Turkish partners) would've have opened a manufacturing line for Altay in Turkey and started manufacturing Altay, then Altay would in this case would be 'milli' as well as 'yerli' since the rights belong to SSM (Milli) and was produced in the country (yerli) even though the manufacturer is German. MAN busses are manufactured in Turkey right? These busses are not Milli (as they are German) but are yerli (as they are manufactured in Turkey).

FNSS and BMC are both Turkish companies. They may have foreign investors, but that still doesn't take away the fact that they are Turkish companies. That new BMC/Rheinmetal Joint Venture is a Turkish company as well, it was established with the purpose of doing business in Turkey and is based in Turkey. Sermaye dusmanligi yapmaya gerek yok.

Turkish strategy with any defence product that comes from SSM, TAI etc. goes like this:
They make the end product (Altay, Atak, Hurkus, etc)
The indigenous % is lower at the starting stages, but this percentage grows as time goes by.
The goal may not be 100% indigenous per se, but that at least the most important and strategic parts become indigenous as time passes.

That's why for Altay, the first batch of 250 was/is going to use a foreign engine, until an indigenous alternative is ready. We saw this with Anka's engine as well.

By the way, my favorite for this tender was FNSS. Second choice was Otokar. I don't mind BMC getting it. And yeah yeah, corruption this and that thats why BMC bla bla bla. Back when SSM gave Otokar the contract to develop Altay, Otokar wasn't the best choice either. FNSS had already experience with tracked vehicles, while Otokar hadn't. Obviously those guys at SSM had their reasons to choose Otokar over FNSS and ultimately it was a good choice.

A post full of assumptions, speculations. Not convincing at all..
No offence bro, almost every single one of your posts is speculation and conjecture. Azyr's post was pretty well written and transparent (he even highlighted the parts where he actually did speculate).

The financiers behind the companies is irrelevant. What is important is to whom the rights to the tank belongs to.

The rights for Altay belong to SSM. They only give a company (in this case BMC) to manufacture and assemble the tank (not design it). If SSM was so inclined, they could decide to manufacture the whole tank in China and then import it. It would still be a Turkish tank. It would be 'Milli', but not so much 'yerli' because it would have been developed in China in this case.

If for instance Rheinmetal (with no Turkish partners) would've have opened a manufacturing line for Altay in Turkey and started manufacturing Altay, then Altay would in this case would be 'milli' as well as 'yerli' since the rights belong to SSM (Milli) and was produced in the country (yerli) even though the manufacturer is German. MAN busses are manufactured in Turkey right? These busses are not Milli (as they are German) but are yerli (as they are manufactured in Turkey).

FNSS and BMC are both Turkish companies. They may have foreign investors, but that still doesn't take away the fact that they are Turkish companies. That new BMC/Rheinmetal Joint Venture is a Turkish company as well, it was established with the purpose of doing business in Turkey and is based in Turkey. Sermaye dusmanligi yapmaya gerek yok.

Turkish strategy with any defence product that comes from SSM, TAI etc. goes like this:
They make the end product (Altay, Atak, Hurkus, etc)
The indigenous % is lower at the starting stages, but this percentage grows as time goes by.
The goal may not be 100% indigenous per se, but that at least the most important and strategic parts become indigenous as time passes.

That's why for Altay, the first batch of 250 was/is going to use a foreign engine, until an indigenous alternative is ready. We saw this with Anka's engine as well.

By the way, my favorite for this tender was FNSS. Second choice was Otokar. I don't mind BMC getting it. And yeah yeah, corruption this and that thats why BMC bla bla bla. Back when SSM gave Otokar the contract to develop Altay, Otokar wasn't the best choice either. FNSS had already experience with tracked vehicles, while Otokar hadn't. Obviously those guys at SSM had their reasons to choose Otokar over FNSS and ultimately it was a good choice.

No offence bro, almost every single one of your posts is speculation and conjecture. Azyr's post was pretty well written and transparent (he even highlighted the parts where he actually did speculate).
Very clear

Guys come on give it some room to breath, lets see how they will produce and deliver and after the TSK tests we can discuss how it performs.

Back
Top Bottom