What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

hydropneumatic suspension is sure good ability. But it is complicated, and dangerous. What if tanks suspection broke down ? It operates on oil. And over time with all that weight and pressure its hose could brake down. Like bobcats and other heavy equipment. Our Crew woudnt use suspencion unless its the last choise. Gun depression is easy requires no maintainence and it doesnt put the tank in any risk. As far as gun depression go Altay tank will be on par with Leo2A7 and M1A3SEP. So no need to be worry.

Edit :
I don believe that those are shot traps as you suggest. ERA doesn’t completely deflect the round.ERA’s job is simply to render the round/missile useless against the composite armour underneath it.

I posted that pictures to explain the basic principles of hulldown and importance of gun depression. But your are right ERA is not designed for deflecting tank rounds. But its better than naked tank :)

Last edited:
hydropneumatic suspension is sure good ability. But it is complicated, and dangerous. What if tanks suspection broke down ? It operates on oil. And over time with all that weight and pressure its hose could brake down. Like bobcats and other heavy equipment. Our Crew woudnt use suspencion unless its the last choise. Gun depression is easy requires no maintainence and it doesnt put the tank in any risk. As far as gun depression go Altay tank will be on par with Leo2A7 and M1A3SEP. So no need to be worry.

Edit :

I posted that pictures to explain the basic principles of hulldown and importance of gun depression. But your are right ERA is not designed for deflecting tank rounds. But its better than naked tank :)

As far as I know, the latest Merkava’s uses electric suspensions which are free from oil leakage. Think it with K-2’s suspension abilities.

limited gun depression on a tank is something an enemy can take advantage of. Several russian tanks have this problem too.
For example the russian tank is coming over the hill, but can only fire after exposing their underside.
alternatively A german Leo 2 tank with good gun depression can shoot downwards, and remain hull down, protecting half their body. Bad gun depression means the tank has to expose more of itself to shoot.

This is because the turret roof stops the breech (loading part) from going up. Like a see-saw. Like this. In thıs picture you have good depression. You can engage enemy target without expose your frontal armour or your lower plate.
strv74-9.jpg

2_zswlsvcmk.jpg

Hull-down-hill-world-of-tanks.png

You should start play World of Tanks bro :P
Thx for the very good explanation.

I think Leopard 1s should be given priority over M60A3s. Our Leopard 1A5s have amazing power-to-weight ratio, there's a huge potential for improvement, we could improve their armor protection a lot and the engine would handle it.

I think we could add composite armor in front of the turret like a modern tank.

Otokar offers a tank with german engine! Where is the pros of being %100 national company?
BMC with foreigner shareholders offers a built tank plus engine.
BMC happens to fulfit requirements.
If the engine and tank together are produced in Turkey, there is no need to be a panic.
agreed.
bmc already hired 200 engineers for tank engine..70 of them are foreigner.the point is they want the job so bad but otokar is relax they dont care cos they already make lots of money ...also bmc can sell the tank easier than otokar cos even qatar give credits some countries to buy from BMC...

I think Leopard 1s should be given priority over M60A3s. Our Leopard 1A5s have amazing power-to-weight ratio

I don't remember where did i read it, but afaik leopard 1s chasis planned to be used in other projects when Altay tanks started to get in Army.

0_3c806_d575568f_XL.jpg
fFe6DDw.jpg
Any dirt or mud in tank gun barrels causes big defects and damages. Thats why tanks use smooth barrels instead of rifled.
Contraversly computer games, in ww 2, tank commanders used to refrain to get their guns showed ground while they drive.
And also thats why today tanks guns vertically head up while they riding.

As you can see real combat and virtual games are different.

agreed.
bmc already hired 200 engineers for tank engine..70 of them are foreigner.the point is they want the job so bad but otokar is relax they dont care cos they already make lots of money ...also bmc can sell the tank easier than otokar cos even qatar give credits some countries to buy from BMC...

If BMC thinks like this they are very smart because they look forward to the future. Once a tank engine is made, it means that they have formed the basis for very powerful engines. This implies that there is existing knowledge and experience to also make engines for all other heavy armored vehicles. Atlay is not the only one...

Roketsan is currently working on M60 !

kWLgkJ.jpg

What a bad turret shape. The wide open bottom makes the turret ring a easy target.

full of wrong information. Leopard 2 NG was intended as a stop-gap measure for ALTAY, the project was well underway when the NG was made by Aselsan.

Israeli M60T modification was applied on our M60A1 tanks not M60A3s

I couldn't be bothered to watch this whole video by this "tank expert"

full of wrong information. Leopard 2 NG was intended as a stop-gap measure for ALTAY, the project was well underway when the NG was made by Aselsan.

Israeli M60T modification was applied on our M60A1 tanks not M60A3s

I couldn't be bothered to watch this whole video by this "tank expert"
There are many "experts" like that in Youtube... Most of whom i think are teenagers.

You can easily identify someone talking from their arse about tanks when they start talking about "shot traps". For modern APFSDS rounds and armour, the angle necessary for ricochet is less than 7°. For the latest penetrators it's probably about 5°. Sloped armour has only been used on relatively recent tanks for increasing LOS armour thickness, not to avoid shot traps. Shot traps haven't been a thing in tank design for almost 50 years.
KaVMdKZ.png

Back
Top Bottom