What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

most here seem to forget that the Altay tank is a non licenced turkish copy of the SK K2, with a lengthered hull,Aselsan FCS and human loader instead of an autoloader and some other little changes. Don´t get me wrong it´s still a remarkable tank and i like it but if you ask some of the members here,give it to Otokar because they devoloped it they should build it,bla bla bla,Otokar with zero experience building tracked vehicles until Altay .
and my guess is they developed the Tulpar family because there was little bit of money left of the 500 million developement cost. and the Otokar engineer,give us money and we can develope a 1500 hp diesel engine ,how long it will take,dont ask we can develope it,just give us the contract and the money.......
yürü git!!!!!
You are retarded.

most here seem to forget that the Altay tank is a non licenced turkish copy of the SK K2, with a lengthered hull,Aselsan FCS and human loader instead of an autoloader and some other little changes. Don´t get me wrong it´s still a remarkable tank and i like it but if you ask some of the members here,give it to Otokar because they devoloped it they should build it,bla bla bla,Otokar with zero experience building tracked vehicles until Altay .
and my guess is they developed the Tulpar family because there was little bit of money left of the 500 million developement cost. and the Otokar engineer,give us money and we can develope a 1500 hp diesel engine ,how long it will take,dont ask we can develope it,just give us the contract and the money.......
yürü git!!!!!

get a life son

son? how old are you?
tell me what is wrong of the things i `ve wrote?
"retarded" and a götü boklu tells me" get a life son?
that`s all what you got.....
armchair generals/experts at it`s best?!?

like what? Altay beeing a good copy of the K2? that otokar has 50 years experience building highpower diesel engines? otokar having zero experience designing tracked vehicles until Altay(with assistance from SK!)
that the engineer said we can develope the engine? no proof of a developement or at least a concept of the 1500 hp engine?
that otokar use foreign E/O systems on all their weapon systems? when i asked a representive at last years IDEF who build the addon armor for the Altay couldn`t answer it! not even a " we build it!"
that thx to Altay they were able to build the Tulpar?

like what? Altay beeing a good copy of the K2? that otokar has 50 years experience building highpower diesel engines? otokar having zero experience designing tracked vehicles until Altay(with assistance from SK!)
that the engineer said we can develope the engine? no proof of a developement or at least a concept of the 1500 hp engine?
that otokar use foreign E/O systems on all their weapon systems? when i asked a representive at last years IDEF who build the addon armor for the Altay couldn`t answer it! not even a " we build it!"
"most here seem to forget that the Altay tank is a non licenced turkish copy of the SK K2, with a lengthered hull,Aselsan FCS and human loader instead of an autoloader and some other little changes."

This right here, please provide proof for these claims.

And the sun is purple.

yürü git!!!!!

This is not correct, Stimpy. If you look at the hull, the driver is positioned centrally and hull belly has added V angle to withstand mine and IED blasts better. The only thing that is the same from K2 is pneumatic suspension, engine bay, torsion hydrualics... Turret completely original design. Anyway, yes SK were real help (For the $$$) developing Altay, without ther help we may have been in samq quagmire as the Indians.. Who knows...

Thx Combat-Master
at least one who can give a descent answer
I know that there are some changes, a K2 with Turkish specific changes,not a 1on1 copy.
About turret, if you just go by the looks of it it is very similar to the K2 turret(without the AL),it´s a little bit different because of the human loader.
the central drivers position i guess because there is more room for reserve ammo.

And the sun is purple.

which one? from the part of your body where the sun doesnt shine?

Thx Combat-Master
I know that there are some changes, a K2 with Turkish specific changes,not a 1on1 copy.
About turret, if you just go by the looks of it it is very similar to the K2 turret(without the AL),it´s a little bit different because of the human loader.
the central drivers position i guess because there is more room for reserve ammo.

which one? from the part of your body where the sun doesnt shine?
The one you see everyday.

Thx Combat-Master

Altay's turret is similar to Leclerc, not K2. Even the added armour infront of the gunners optic is very similar to how the french have it.

Notice extension infront of gunners Optics vs the other side which is just storage space.
The added armour in front of the gunners optic is make up for the space optics take up.
DgDClAU.jpg

Same as with the French Leclerc, except the french have added it after the fact that they noticed it was a weakspot. Hence why it looks like an ugly box beneath gunners optics compared to Altay.

69d556Z.jpg

All the cars we drive today are based on the internal combustion engines, which is still in use, invented in 19th century and nothing much since then has changed a lot except for shape and accessories. Despite this fact, claiming Altay is a copy of another is ridicilous especially for those who talks on behalf of the failed TÜMOSAN.

1442334566.png

well, looking past all the dissatisfaction. I think that the answer we got from the AMA, and the answer I got when I was in Ankara add up. If the government invest or supports the development financially our industry will develop the engine.

Now there might be competition among our industries, but would it be bad if the government spent money on the project (c'mon RTE wants to build a canal) and had 2-3 of these companies pit in with engineers and maybe finances to build an engine, even the concept studies and specs could be done together at the initial stages. If the government had the intellectual property rights of the engine or 51% as a result of financing it then it wouldn't be a problem to point at 2-3 companies to build the MBT.

The first batch of 250 MBT would go to one company, and the others would deliver 150 each.

Now what I should mention is that co-development of the engine should be up to only around 70-80%, and the companies involved should develop the remaining 20-30%. After thorough testing of the engines in a prototype the production could be awarded to the winner. Similarly local production should be high, but alternatively the companies would be bound to help a local company establish production to deliver the needed parts.

Our companies are pragmatic, and won't do much without some kind of gain. And by having them commit to the project financially and with personnel should ensure certain level of motivation.

They will give it to BMC. Partnership of Otokar+FNSS would be the best but we all know that this Government will give it to BMC because of personal reasons.
Otokar+FNSS doesn't make sense, these companies don't need each other since they are in the same sector

Otokar is the only choice but koç group is hated by our sultans and its pro supporters god bless altay tank from those hyenas
Guys, regarding the mass production tender, give SSM some credit.

This whole pro-government/anti-government thing is all fake. If it were true, then Otokar would've never gotten the Altay development project in the first place. FNSS was a better choice back in 2007. Otokar had zero experience in tracked vehicles, but they gave the project to Otokar anyway, and Otokar did an excellent job at that so I guess 'devlet buyuklerimiz bizden daha iyi bilirler'. Not only that, if this whole pro-government stuff was correct, than Cobra ll's, Ural's etc. none of those vehicles would've been purchased by the army, police etc. All this shows that there is no need for such a sentiment. Even Erdogan had attended a factory opening of Koc a couple years back. This sentiment is all due to slander and misinformation guys. And if it so happens that BMC ends up getting the tender, that's fair enough because 'devlet buyuklerimiz bizden daha iyi bilirler'.

My personal favorite is FNSS, because I feel like they innovate more than any other company in this field in Turkey and am hoping this innovation will reflect on future iterations of the Altay tank. Otokar is a close second for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom