What's new

A Take On Communal Violence In India

Typical whataboutism. So what if you don't practice it. Millions of Hindus still do. Are you willing to speak out against that and take out morchas or your women's right activism only extends to when it concerns Muslim women?
Do you think I will support any practice of dowry? Just because fellow Hindus practice it?

I have also heard that Pakistani Muslims too follow this regressive practice.

Its a recent phenomenon. Last 10-15 years.

I was a medical student in the early 90s here. A burqa was a rare sight. Now they are all over.
It could be because of migration from other (rural) areas and the general population change, no?

It could be because of migration from other (rural) areas and the general population change, no?

Poona has an "old" settled Muslim population, unlike areas like Mumbra which are pure refugees from Gujarat.

These are girls born and brought up in a big metro. And a very cosmo liberal one too.

Do you think I will support any practice of dowry? Just because fellow Hindus practice it?

I have also heard that Pakistani Muslims too follow this regressive practice.
Regarding "dowry", Muslim men pay the families of Muslim females, which I believe is the exact opposite of Hindu interpretation of dowry. I'm no authority but that is what I had to do as per imam's instruction. So assuming that is the rule, I can't see how you can draw any comparison.

Can regional differences be at play?

Maybe.

I remember two instances of the burqa being used as the stereotyping element in Hindi cinema. One is the famous song "Parda hai parda" and the other is a scene from that superb film Jaane bhi do yaaro.

So the burqa was certainly present in earlier decades but not so much as now.

A sea of burqas. Couldn't bear to watch beyond two minutes.

I don't support divorce at all! Whether it's by a Muslim man in the shape of talak or by a Muslim women in the shape of khula. Becoz God doesn't like it.

Mentee bhai, divorce is an inherent part of Islamic law. Please search for a thread of mine called "prenups in indian weddings" from some years ago.

What @TheGreatMaratha is talking about is Instant Triple Talaq which is anti-Islamic.

I've said this earlier as well. Muslims need to reform themselves. Someone has to come from within. If non-Muslims recommend something, they will never accept.

Gosh!!! Look at these wannabe liberals, radical sanghis getting unhinged on the littlest of the choices Muslim prefer for themselves.

Sorry we can't abandon our dietary habits if some hindu finds it offensive to eat - - - - - - - -. Or no one can force our women without their choice to get done with their wardrobe tastes .

Regarding "dowry", Muslim men pay the families of Muslim females, which I believe is the exact opposite of Hindu interpretation of dowry. I'm no authority but that is what I had to do as per imam's instruction. So assuming that is the rule, I can't see how you can draw any comparison.
Still dowry. Marriage should happen on equal terms not because of some ridiculous payment.

Gosh!!! Look at these wannabe liberals, radical sanghis getting unhinged on the littlest of the choices Muslim prefer for themselves.

Sorry we can't abandon our dietary habits if some hindu finds it offensive to eat - - - - - - - -. Or no one can force our women without their choice to get done with their wardrobe tastes .

Our women?

These are OUR women.

Then remain stuck in regressive thinking. We don't care. We'll keep progressing.

Dowry is practiced, my UC Hindu friend's sister was killed a few years ago for dowry and she was a MD Doctor.

What is UC ?

And sad about this case, especially because the woman didn't approach the police despite being educated. That is why I say that in India the so-called educated system hasn't liberated people from old socio-economic oppression and injustices.

Back
Top Bottom