What's new

8 British soldiers killed in 24 hours /15 killed during the week

arsenal_gooner

Reaction score
Blackest day for British troops as eights soldiers are killed in 24 hours

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/article/13298887/2008/09/04/12286300.jpg

Eight British soldiers have been killed in one day on the Afghan front line.

It is the worst toll yet for a 24-hour period in Helmand and brings the number of British military deaths in the ravaged nation to 184, five more than the 179 who died in six years in Iraq.

In the most bloody incident, five soldiers were killed in a massive explosion in Sangin. Their deaths have not been confirmed officially. Three more troops died in individual incidents – one of them from 4th Battalion, The Rifles, another from Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment and one from the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment.

It means 15 soldiers have been killed in nine days – including the Commanding Officer of the Welsh Guards and three fellow officers.

Speaking yesterday at the G8 summit in Italy, when just two of the deaths had been confirmed, Mr Brown told of his “sadness”. Looking shaken, the Prime Minister said: “For the families of those who have lost their lives I send my condolences and I will write to every one of them.

“This has been a very hard summer but it’s not over. It is vital that the international community sees through its commitments.

“Our resolution to complete the work that we have started in Afghanistan and Pakistan is undiminished. We knew from the start that defeating the insurgency in Helmand would be a hard and dangerous job but it is vital. There is a chain of terror that runs from the mountains

and towns of Afghanistan to the streets of Britain.

“Having talked to President Obama and the rest of the world leaders, there is a recognition that this is a task the world has got to accept together and this is a task we have got to fulfil.

“People see the importance of winning the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan and Pakistan so that the battle against the terrorists does not come to the streets of our country. The past 10 days have been extraordinarily difficult for our Armed Forces in Afghanistan.

“It's times like these we remem-ber the debt with owe our Armed Forces. The first thing is the sadness that young lives were lost.”

But one former soldier said the landmark would be meaningless to serving troops and warned that there would be many more fatalities before the mission was over.

Captain Doug Beattie, who retired recently after 27 years in the Army, said: “Whether it’s the 179th or the 200th, the soldier will not think twice about that number.

“They're just numbers – but every number and every name has a story behind it. No soldier serving in Afghanistan will say, ‘That’s 179’, they will say, “That’s my friend, that’s my roommate, that's my commanding officer'.

“Very soon we are going to hit the 200 mark. The likelihood is before we leave Afghanistan we are going to hit the 500 mark – maybe even the 1,000 mark. But they are all false landmarks.

“For the politicians and the MoD, public perception of the loss is crucial. For the soldiers on the ground, it won’t matter.”

Mr Beattie, who received the Military Cross for his bravery in Afghanistan with the Royal Irish Regiment, added that winning a counter-insurgency needed political will as well as military might.

The worst single loss of life since the Falklands War came in Afghanistan when 14 died in a Nimrod spy plane crash in 2006.

It was caused by a mid-air fuel leak above Kandahar Province.

On the ground, one of the most horrific losses of life was when six Royal Military Police soldiers were slaughtered in 2003 by an Iraqi mob in rebel town Mujar al Kabir. The latest death toll comes amid claims from former head of the Armed Forces Lord Guthrie that the government has underspent on the military.

Lord Guthrie – former Chief of the Defence Staff – said: “I understand why the public are concer-ned. Britain’s military commanders on the ground are suffering from having too few people.

“I spoke to an officer the other day who said that the Treasury had affected the operational safety of our soldiers by preventing an uplift in our numbers.”

Lord Guthrie argued that British commanders wanted another 2,000 troops in Afghanistan, adding that the Treasury had underspent on the military because it was unsympathetic

He said: “They were prepared to give very large amounts of money to other departments, but the minimum they could get away with to defence.”

Elsewhere, defence experts say troops are likely to remain exposed.

Major-General Julian Thompson, former Commander of the Royal Marines, said: “I am afraid this is the reality of war. We have to accept there will be further deaths to come. It is not possible fully to protect against these attacks.”

Bomb devices have now become the main weapon of the Taliban, which has suffered huge losses in battles against UK forces.

Christopher Foss, editor of Jane's Armour & Artillery said: “Whatever vehicle troops have got, it’s still not going to give them 100% protection against roadside bombs. Some of what the Taliban are planting and detonating, there's no way to combat it. It’s highly effective.”

Blackest day for British troops as eights soldiers are killed in 24 hours - mirror.co.uk

May God Bless every soldier who has died in this war on terror, disregard their ethnicity, religion, background they all are brave souls .
RIP Soldiers..
Indeed, RIP.

What do you do when God fights on both sides of the war?

May God Bless every soldier who has died in this war on terror, disregard their ethnicity, religion, background they all are brave souls .
RIP Soldiers..
Indeed, RIP.

What do you do when God fights on both sides of the war?

The problem is: Many NATO nations are doing nothing in Afghanistan and British army is over burden.

RIP to who?
Dont mind when 'the terrorists' kill 'the bigger terrorists.

RIP to who?
Dont mind when 'the terrorists' kill 'the bigger terrorists.

Shouldn't you be out beating women and blowing up schools instead of posting on the internet?

Any moron who thinks a smelly uneducated simpleton Taliban is blessed by god, deserves to explain himself to god first hand.

And here is the method I would chose....;)

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Or even better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets give our thanks to our Govt (Britain and the US) who caused this war and have killed innocent lives as well as some faithful soldiers who's duty were to follow orders including those 7 soldiers. My hearts and condolence to their family for their loss . Those soldiers died just for our govt to get more greedy. I simply, see no effect or any point on the war on terror, just making more terrorists on the way.

Furthermore I wish the western media could show more light on the Pakistani soldiers who fought for "their" freedom (British and Americans) individually, so in order to live their live safety against terrorists. I feel this part has not been dealt with it greatly, or if they did its dumbed down or mention very quietly and quickly . New form of racism ?
This negligence I see happens too often. Also in other forums, people purposely omit the Pakistans involvement against the Taliban but in contrast people here had made condolence for the seven UK soldiers who died, well good for you. :tup:

Continuing on
You may want to argue that extremists had cause many people to distrust muslims and Islam as a whole in some ways you are correct however it also the media fault who chooses not to show Muslim fighting against extremist here in the west or abroad as i have clearly pointed out. It the reason why Marwa Sherbini the Head Scarf Martyr was stabbed to death in a court of law.

why there is not much coverage in BBC website?

Lately on 'Dispatches' a lot about the British army in Afghanistan is being aired. It showed how well British soldiers were treating Afghan kids and some of them said every morning some Afghan kids bring us food from their homes while they themselves got hardly anything to eat. And it was so beautiful when they showed those kids running happily towards those soldiers in Helmand with food in their hands and they way they hugged the soldiers showed those kids had grown really close to those soldiers. And as emotional women are, my cousins and aunt's got tearful eyes watching that. May Allah Tallah reward every person who has helped anyone with all their heart and showered the disappointed ones with love.

Lately on 'Dispatches' a lot about the British army in Afghanistan is being aired. It showed how well British soldiers were treating Afghan kids and some of them said every morning some Afghan kids bring us food from their homes while they themselves got hardly anything to eat. And it was so beautiful when they showed those kids running happily towards those soldiers in Helmand with food in their hands and they way they hugged the soldiers showed those kids had grown really close to those soldiers. And as emotional women are, my cousins and aunt's got tearful eyes watching that. May Allah Tallah reward every person who has helped anyone with all their heart and showered the disappointed ones with love.

Maybe the BBC can show us a programme about all the ones killed by US-UK bombings.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

It the reason why Marwa Sherbini the Head Scarf Martyr was stabbed to death in a court of law.

I sent emails about this story and got hardly any replies on it until i changed the title of the email to "Preganant woman stabbed to death for wearing miniskirt by islamic fanatic".....the response once i changed the title was completely different with email screaming about the carzy islamist-taliban without people even bothering to read the full email.......just shows people prejudices.

RIP to the brave souls who gave up their lives fighting the scum.

My full support to PA and the allied forces in Afghanistan who have taken on the Taleban.

Shouldn't you be out beating women and blowing up schools instead of posting on the internet?

Any moron who thinks a smelly uneducated simpleton Taliban is blessed by god, deserves to explain himself to god first hand.

And here is the method I would chose....;)

How many TALIBAN you have met or seen??? And rate them as smelly etc etc ....
Oh I see the nick says all, Just another HOLLYWOOD INSPIRED CARICATURE out posting on the NET

Back
Top Bottom