What's new

Why Punjabis in Pakistan Have Abandoned Punjabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just that the Punjabis on Indian side aren't too interested in connecting with that side of their cultures. Certainly the Hindus aren't: the Sikhs do. But even then: not all Sikhs. Many are very much integrated with the Hindus.
You make it sound like Hindu Punjabis hate Punjabi culture. Keep on continuing with your hate for Hindus. Is there any proof that Hindu Punjabis hate Punjabi culture/language?

Jo man mai aaya bol diya.

It's just that the Punjabis on Indian side aren't too interested in connecting with that side of their cultures. Certainly the Hindus aren't: the Sikhs do. But even then: not all Sikhs. Many are very much integrated with the Hindus.
You make it sound like Hindu Punjabis hate Punjabi culture. Keep on continuing with your hate for Hindus. Is there any proof that Hindu Punjabis hate Punjabi culture/language?

But Urdu is not difficult for punjabis. Waisay aik subject hona chahiye jis main Punjabi poetry waghera ho but Urdu and punjabi main parhna mairay khayal sa aik jaisa hi ha.

I went to some local schools in rural punjab and i was astonished by the quality of teachers there. The problem is that neither educators nor students know what's going on... for urdu they still somehow manage, but really really badly but the problem is completely on another level for english...

What's the crime rate in Punjab compared to rest of the crumbling Union?

neither local teachers are comfortable, neither kids. And that's already a big reason for student drop out in rural punjab.

I think the drop out is simply because of unemployment issues.

Pakistan is a baniya society. It's a business community who tends to professionally work the land. Essentially the motivation for a 16yr old anywhere in Pakistan runs the materialistic course where prospects of a decent life can only be worked out through business. Institutionalised education does not make businessmen and they know it over there.

What we have in east Punajb is bastarized language and culture of changar and mirasis.
What's changar and mirasi?

They might say the same about you. Anyway, atleast they teach Punjabi in schools and promote the language. Only people who have genuine affection for their language will do these things.

@waz

Now do you think this is a good post? It's becoming very difficult for Indians and Pakistanis to talk civilly.

BTW, being a "mirasi" isn't a serious crime across our side of the Wagah border.

What is wrong? I am just expressing my opinion, East Punjabi are known for drug addiction and producing likes of honey Singh.

I don't know why but they have fetish for being loud as well which adds to their already uncivilized ways.

No being mirasi is not crime, I was just describing east Punjab.

Why should I discuss this with lowly Marathi?:sick:
Are you suddenly feeling inferior about yourself just because I asked a simple question lol? Or just couldn't answer it or digest my point? :-)

What is wrong? I am just expressing my opinion, East Punjabi are known for drug addiction and producing likes of honey Singh.

I don't know why but they have fetish for being loud as well which adds to their already uncivilized ways.

No being mirasi is not crime, I was just describing east Punjab.

Not all of them, bro. There are decent people in Indian Punjab as well.

Not everyone likes Yo Yo Honey Singh. I hate that monkey myself, and will never listen to any of his biradari.

So don't apply blanket generalizations. The Punjabi community this side of the border also has a rich and vibrant culture. But yes, they are cut off from their roots in Pakistan...that is really the source of many things. No Punjabi will deny this.

You should not call it a "bastardized" culture.

I have lived in the Punjab for a total of five years. I was astonished to read what you wrote above. There was absolutely nothing like what you have described. On the contrary, the root of the problem was to try and trump the political domination of the Jat Sikh, working through the SGPC and its political reflection, the Shiromani Akali Dal, by creating a counterweight, a group of an even more assertive nature that outshone the Akali Dal.

Neither in the Indira Gandhi time nor afterwards did anything like this happen.

Hope you are doing fine, our perspectives differ don't take it personally, you were an outsider, I am not despite being Pakistani. As I have mentioned when I speak to Sikhs of east punjab in my mother punjabi they recognize it immediately, as originating from a place which is highly respected and when the older gen knows about my family well that's a different story, I am their kin, their child and I have experienced the same respect wherever I met Sikhs. It would be strange for many Indians to know that my family means my grandfather/my father/i/my elder son are still owners of a very old house, no more I want to maintain my anonymity.

So what I mentioned were the accounts shared to me by the Punjabis on East side, this is what they feel, I did not touch upon internal rifts between different factions as it was not needed. But your account may also be valid its just the other side of the story, it however does relate to my assertion about resistance to change in India in the other thread where I wanted to contribute and asked if you'd be able to prevent it turning into a heap of garbage which attracts every sort of critter, anyways.

It's actually a good observation that I concur with. But most of these Sikhs aren't FOB's: They have lived outside India for 1-2, sometimes 2-3 generations.

The ones left behind in India follow a very different culture.

Ah the man from the country of my first job, I agree the difference between expats and residents is there but even the expats are desperately trying to stick to their roots (the elder gen of course).

For me its enough they still speak Punjabi, still use the same curses, still easy going, down to earth and funny.
So many adventures of mine from in and around central business district, little india, geylang serai.;)

On a different note not related to both of you I have no idea why using the word "punjabi" and our cultural comparison with india tends to attract filth from both side who despite have sh*t experience of travelling to the other side, or for that matter travelling internationally or for that mater interacting with the other side are forcefully sure about their assertions that they want everyone to agree with them, well scum is scum will be. As they say in my local version people will reflect their background no matter how rich they become.

TBH, all the discord and confusion is due to Indians lack of understanding of why Urdu is official language in Punjab province. In India, it doesn't work the same way. Any attempts to push Hindi in non-Hindi states is met with serious backlash.
I've explained this already in this thread and other threads. In Pakistan, we love and cherish our native regional tongues. We are also not going to riot over Urdu being a national language. I realise it's different in India, especially in Tamil speaking areas and the east, where "favouring" Hindi (and discarding the more neutral English) is a cause for riots. Despite my explanations of this (I'm from Punjab btw), several pot-stirrers choose to feign ignorance.

but even the expats are desperately trying to stick to their roots (the elder gen of course).

You said it yourself. It's the elder generation that is more possessive about the older culture.

Indian young Punjabi brats are bigra shehzadas...more superficial than the Aussies

What's changar and mirasi?

They might say the same about you. Anyway, atleast they teach Punjabi in schools and promote the language. Only people who have genuine affection for their language will do these things.
No dear one can also say only those who are afraid their language is loosing out or lost will do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom