What's new

Why Punjabis in Pakistan Have Abandoned Punjabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason behind it is Indian Punjabis are minority in India. They think their language and culture is under threat. Insecurity ki waja sa yeh sab krtay hain.
They might be a minority in India but they are a majority in their state. No one is in majority as such in India. Also, the Indian Republic doesn't interfere too much in the matters of states.
But in Pakistan it is the language of close to 60 percent people. And real Punjabi is spoken in Pakistan as you go eastward Punjabi becomes very similar to Urdu and in haryana it becomes a dialect of Hindi
It's you who says real Punjabi is spoken in Pakistan. Indian Punjabis might say otherwise.
And real Punjabi is spoken in Pakistan as you go eastward Punjabi becomes very similar to Urdu and in haryana it becomes a dialect of Hindi
Are you saying that people who even have their faith around Punjabi culture (Sikhs) do not follow real Punjabi culture/language. That's really really ignorant of you. I'll rest it here.

Anyway this thread is not on new age religions, but about Punjabi culture and language.

Indians who don't know ABC about Punjabi or Pakistan are passing judgement, hoping that they are correct.

They are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real reason yahi ha believe Karo ya na Karo. Punjabi spoken in indian Punjab and nieghboring areas of Pakistan have more Urdu words. Native language of western parts of Pakistani Punjab like Sargodha khushab jhang bhakkar Multan layyah etc is real Punjabi

Theth Punjabi of Faisalabad, Lahore, Okara, Kasur, etc. is very authentic as well. Once you cross the border at Amritsar, Punjabi diction and high language takes a dip.

Let us ignore the Indians and continue discussing the Punjabi language.

As you rightly mentioned that majority converse in Punjabi in Punjab. However, it's our mother tongue and as a policy there has to be projection of it. In education, offices and governmental level. It must be compulsory language and medium of instruction in Punjab. Urdu must be taught as a second language along with English

I am actually of the opinion that Urdu should be taught in every school as a medium of instruction in every province of Pakistan. It is better for us to be fluent in both Urdu and our local dialects.

If not for my background in Urdu, which is very strong, in addition to Punjabi (my mother tongue,) I could not feel at home in KPK for example.

Actually, I have been thinking for a long time about Dari language. All my grandparents are/were fluent in it. It should be brought back in Pakistan. In addition to shayri, we can promote and further our influence into Afghanistan, Tajikstan, and Iran

But your account may also be valid its just the other side of the story, it however does relate to my assertion about resistance to change in India in the other thread where I wanted to contribute and asked if you'd be able to prevent it turning into a heap of garbage which attracts every sort of critter, anyways.

I recognised your account immediately on reading; it is that purveyed by those Sikhs abroad who feel dispossessed in the Punjab, for reasons that no one can quite understand.

Let me first recite the facts.

There was, in independent India, a great deal of territory to be rearranged and formed into administrative blocs. This was done by taking the old hill states and forming them into Himachal Pradesh. The remainder stayed Punjab. But that was not good enough, and the Akalis wanted a state where the Sikh was in the majority; it was not even a situation where they might have felt threatened, as they were already prominent in every single walk of life, without exception. So again, administrative arrangements were made, and they were appeased by the carving out of the state of Haryana, gerrymandered to provide the Sikhs their Sikh majority state.

In this state, in which I served for a number of years, the Hindus who were part of the state were always on the defensive, always aware that it was the land of the Jat Sikh, and their party, the Akali Dal, and that in their own country, they were treated as second class citizens. They started locking themselves into their identity by speaking Hindi, that had never had any ground in any of these states; it was now a question of retaining cultural identity.

Where and how they convinced themselves that the tide was against them is difficult to say. Their culture and their religion were dominant, their vehicle was the party that ruled the state, their gurdwaras had been rescued from the Mahants a generation ago. Right through the entire period from 1947 on till 1984, there was nothing to hold back the Sikh.

The trouble that was caused that they may have referred to, apparently, was the time of troubles in the Punjab. I wonder if they mentioned that this was that period to you in their conversations.

(to be cont.)

Real reason yahi ha believe Karo ya na Karo. Punjabi spoken in indian Punjab and nieghboring areas of Pakistan have more Urdu words. Native language of western parts of Pakistani Punjab like Sargodha khushab jhang bhakkar Multan layyah etc is real Punjabi
If Pakistani Punjabis are so proud of Punjabi then why don't you promote Punjabi in schools/colleges. Why don't you have movies in Punjabi?

Based on data available to me, I feel Indian Punjabis are promoting more of the Punjabi language.

I'm not saying Pakistani Punjabis don't follow Punjabi culture. I'm just saying that Indian Punjabis might have more enthusiasm for their Punjabi language as they promote it in schools, have plenty of recent songs as well as have movies in Punjabi.

I think @Naofumi is around those parts. I don't know if he's Punjabi but he seems to like Punjabi songs as he had shared one Punjabi song on another thread. Maybe he might give some Indian point of view with regards to this.

In this thread, I see some ignorant Pakistanis saying that they follow the real Punjabi culture, the language spoken by East Punjab is not true Punjabi, the founder of Sikhism is a Muslim, etc.

Why are you guys getting so defensive? No one said Pakistanis don't follow Punjabi culture, don't speak Punjabi language, etc. Why do you want to target Indian Punjabis? Really don't understand.

pakistani punjabis abandoned the language due to influence of "parhay likhay achkan & churi daar pajamay walay "UP and Bihari urdu speakers .. Pakistani punjabis are really weird , they are the most confused lot / race one shall ever see

Aysa nhi hota gradually change hoti ha. For example Layyah saraiki ha us ka east main neighboring district jhang Punjabi ha but saraiki sa milti julti ha East main phir toba phir faisalabad nankana Lahore amritsar ya sari graduly change hoti jati ha.

I met and talked with Sikhs from Amritsar when they were visiting Pakistan. I had some pleasant talks with them. They were very impressed by the high level of culture and language in Pakistan.

I realized that when Congress had Punjab partitioned against the will of the people, and Tara Singh formed his terrorist mobs to enforce Congress wishes, this led to the flight of the educated class of Punjab to Pakistan. What was left was a very unsophisticated East Punjab, scarred by bloodshed and villainy, emotionally and mentally disturbed.

It was only until 1984 that they woke up. They realized that they were the biggest losers of the partition of Punjab.

I am talking about Sikhs, because Hindus were generally Hindi speakers and not Punjabis. They fit into the religious and linguistic hegemony of RSS.

Sikhs are outsiders in their own country, partly a result of their own actions at partition.

Most of Pakistani films in 90s and early 2000 were Punjabi but low budget. Problem is Pakistan ki film industry hi nhi ha. And songs bahut saray hain local Punjabi singers k youtube par

Pakistani drama industry was always better.

Although I enjoy Maula Jatt and Rangeela, Munawar Zareef films.

pakistani punjabis abandoned the language due to influence of "parhay likhay achkan & churi daar pajamay walay "UP and Bihari urdu speakers .. Pakistani punjabis are really weird , they are the most confused lot / race one shall ever see

Tuadda fittey moo.

Kaddi aa vi zara Punjab ch, dekhange kinni Punjabi sannu ondi ey.

Just because you have mouth doesn't mean you should use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom