What's new

Why Pakistan cannot say sorry to Bangladesh

You still know, deep down there that there is no need of source for what I said however, as Indians are at habit mostly to ask for source yet puts the burden of work upon others to get educated, I am no mood of babysitting for you. The fact remains as what is being told. You hold your side of diverted yet distorted realities for own satisfaction, as said before, you need to be happy with SHW and don't know what makes you uncomfortable to keep coming back for asking a source. However, there is a reason for that sometimes as one not satisfied with current state of history, will be seeking the correct story from everywhere. Your thirst is understood but still, it is you who has to walk to the well not the other way around.
Yawn. I have gone through microfilm and microfiche of NY Times, Washington Post and Times (UK) - this predates even having archives of various newspapers online. I have read multiple books on it by authors who are not Indian. No neutral source has backed up your absurd claims to the best of my knowledge. I am happy to be corrected. But I doubt that is going to happen. You can justify genocide and violence all your want - facts remain unaltered. India of course exploited your civil war but India did not put a gun to your head and asked to treat East Pakistan as a colony, strip it off its resources, mock their language and culture, force them to seek refuge in India, not hand over power to them after a free election and ultimately engage in a pogrom to round them up and kill them. That was all your doing.

Of course they do. Do you think they wish for deteriorated relations with Pakistan? Even India wants better relations just like every nation in the world. Nobody has bad relations as a foreign policy. Nobody. There are simply issues that create deterioration which leads to bad relations. Nobody starts of with bad relations.
Really? I see Trump tweeting sh!t about your country, I see India trying to put you on terror list, I see EU leaders urging you to do more to stop terrorism....do they make good relation that way? Either this, or I am totally detached from reality.
Mishandling a situation ( as the situation encompassed geographical, political and social plains) and genocide are two very different things I believe. This is why you should Pakistan's narrative. Not just Bangladesh's. You would come to understand why regret of 1971 and why politicians continuously use it.
Then you can apologize for mishandling the situation. No one asking you to apologize for 3 million. Not up till now at least.
Quite frankly this is why we have apologized with regret of the situation by musharraf. This is all you will ever get. Make peace with it.
Regret is not apology....but yeah I know we're not going to get an apology either.
The past is the past. Let it go and work towards a future.
Past is there to take valuable lessons from. The ones who forget the past/ lets it go is bound to make the same mistakes again and again. Forgive? Maybe....or maybe not. Forget? Never.

Yawn. I have gone through microfilm and microfiche of NY Times, Washington Post and Times (UK) - this predates even having archives of various newspapers online. I have read multiple books on it by authors who are not Indian. No neutral source has backed up your absurd claims to the best of my knowledge. I am happy to be corrected. But I doubt that is going to happen. You can justify genocide and violence all your want - facts remain unaltered. India of course exploited your civil war but India did not put a gun to your head and asked to treat East Pakistan as a colony, strip it off its resources, mock their language and culture, force them to seek refuge in India, not hand over power to them after a free election and ultimately engage in a pogrom to round them up and kill them. That was all your doing.

Giving you a room and space to express yourself doesn't mean you crosses the line here. We know what we know and being the lowest in moral, deceptive by make and liars at best, it was then expected from Indian forces to utilize Bengalis by misleading them in a manner where none of them differentiates what is wrong or right to do. The main theme remained as how to manipulate yet malign Pakistan into this. My intentions are not that Pakistan remained total innocent and yes, there were political miscalculations but the way genocides & rapes were held, it was clearly spotted as who has done so and why. Per heat of political fight, people did not rise to such level that would have gone offensive against Pakistan but then again, the evil tricks executed to hit them where it hurts and then may start rebellion as such. Now, if you came again insulting my country as such, I will make sure you will be given enough time to have a chit chat with your likes somewhere else being free of any worry to login here.

Regards,

Really? I see Trump tweeting sh!t about your country, I see India trying to put you on terror list, I see EU leaders urging you to do more to stop terrorism....do they make good relation that way? Either this, or I am totally detached from reality.

You misunderstand. Every nation wants good relations with other nations? Nobody wants wilful deterioration. It is the disagreement and the non lining of interests that create negative relations. If these factors won't be contrary then no country would wilfully deteriorate relations. This means that every nation wishes for good relations with other coutries albiet on their terms as much as they can make it.

If today pakistan addresses the concerns of every country then you do you believe that they wouldn't have good relations and keep deteriorating relations on purpose. There are many international theories on this. Read up on them.

Then you can apologize for mishandling the situation. No one asking you to apologize for 3 million. Not up till now at least.

We did. musharraf stated it.

Regret is not apology....but yeah I know we're not going to get an apology either.

Umm I am sorry I don't get it. Nobody gives an apology like " we are really sorry" plz forgive us, we beg for forgiveness.

Plz read the apologies of kishi nobosuke and shiina etsusaburo. It has regret. Regret is an apology in international terms. Like they stated that they regret the excesses and war on the Korean peninsula.

We have given that we regret mishandling that situation... Thats good enough.

Past is there to take valuable lessons from. The ones who forget the past/ lets it go is bound to make the same mistakes again and again. Forgive? Maybe....or maybe not. Forget? Never.

We have not forgotten the past. We remember it and it is reminded to us in our school books and by our politicians

Nobody is asking for it. Let go and move towards a brighter future otherwise fall to the darkness of past. Its simple

Arguing here won't matter. Anyhow read up on Pakistan narrative. It may interest you.

There is nothing to apologise for

Bangali people got in trap of mukti bani and betrayed Pakistani

Even if you have some serious troubles with your brothers , still you do not play in the hands of common enemies

Pak army zindabad and Pakiatan did really well in those circumstances

Pakistan will pay back for sure

Seems like the author is a PDF member!

It must make Pakistanis so sad to see former East Pakistanis overtake them in every economic indicator slowly but surely.
Yeah we're so bothered that we are the ones going to Bangladeshi forums and opening up threads about why B'deshis won't apologize to us.

@Nilgiri @Psychic

@Black_cats no apologies. Now please stop begging us for our attention.

Yeah we're so bothered that we are the ones going to Bangladeshi forums and opening up threads about why B'deshis won't apologize to us.

@Nilgiri @Psychic

@Black_cats no apologies. Now please stop begging us for our attention.

Like a few lines from one of my favourite (post)-confederate songs:

I'm glad i fit 'gainst it...I only wish we'd won...I ain't askt' any pardon... for anything I've done...

..... ....

I can't pick up my musket and fight em now no more, but I ain't gonna love em, now that is certain sure...

...and I don't want no pardon for what I was an' am....I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a damn!

Why Pakistan cannot say sorry to Bangladesh
  • Ashis Biswas
  • Published at 06:15 PM April 26, 2018
  • Last updated at 01:44 PM April 27, 2018
https://www.dhakatribune.com/opinion/2018/04/26/pakistan-cannot-say-sorry-bangladesh/

An army-dominated deep statePhoto: REUTERS
Any apology to Bangladesh would imply that Pakistan's use of terror was self-destructive
For some time now, Bangladesh has been pressing Pakistan to apologize for the genocide of the Bangali population in 1971. The occupation army showed no compunction in butchering an estimated three million of their (mostly unarmed) fellow citizens over a nine-month period to quell a liberation struggle in its then eastern wing.

In reply, Pakistan has urged Bangladesh to forget the unfortunate incidents of the past and move on to a new, better relationship. Well short of an apology, its utterly inadequate response glosses over what remains the most shameful blot in Pakistan’s less-than-stellar history.

However, given Pakistan’s gradual morphing into a terror-sponsoring state from its theocratic origins, beginning from its intervention in the Afghan civil war, its refusal to apologize to Bangladesh is not surprising. Countries with a firmer commitment to a democratic system and minimal respect for established norms of governance would have found it easier to offer a brief, heartfelt apology.

A dignified regret would have helped Islamabad get rid of a permanent embarrassment in a civilized manner. If anything, by demanding an apology instead of adequate reparations, Bangladesh had prepared the ground for a graceful ending to a painful episode of history and for a new beginning in bilateral ties.

Evidently, the army-dominated deep state in Pakistan has little concern for either the country’s international image, its place in world history, to say nothing of the damaging legacy it leaves behind for its younger generations.

So far so bad — yet it is possible to see the signs of a major political change for the better among the younger Pakistani citizens, which augurs well for South Asia.

From Pakistan’s point of view, any apology to Bangladesh would have implied that its use of terror as an instrument of state policy had proved self-destructive. Its exploitative policy towards its eastern province was morally reprehensible and utterly wrong.

More importantly, to disavow terror as an acceptable political tactic would have significantly reduced Pakistan’s acceptability among organizations like the Jaish-e-Mohammad, the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, the Lashkar–e-Toiba (some of which are internationally blacklisted), and their shadowy underworld backers.

Pakistan’s refusal to apologize to Bangladesh even in 2018 indicates how little the country has changed since 1971

So there could be no apology to anyone on the break-up of 1971, because that would have meant a loss of face for the India-hating Pakistani ruling establishment. For the military hawks, drug lords, and Islamic extremists running Islamabad’s foreign policy, it was preferable to go along with international Muslim terrorism and maintain a pro-Jihadi image post-1971.

After the emergence of Bangladesh, Pakistan became blindsided on the east. It opted wholeheartedly to concentrate on and participate in developments more closely in the deeply disturbed West Asian region. If this meant inviting unrest and chaos, there were compensations too.

So long as the US and the EU continued to use Islamabad as their ally in the battle against Islamic terrorism, the dollars kept coming — never mind the international revulsion and the moral opprobrium, which can be borne better when people are well-fed and elections are a joke.

It is another matter that the US and the West have gradually become wiser to the implications of Pakistan’s running with the hares and hunting also with the hounds, in the matter of fighting Islamic extremism.

Pakistan’s refusal to apologize to Bangladesh even in 2018 indicates how little the country has changed since 1971.

And yet, it is not fair to condemn Pakistan as a country for the shocking killing of nearly three million people in 1971. There are any number of ordinary, decent Pakistani citizens who deeply regret the breaking up of their country and the loss of its eastern wing. Mostly these are younger generation Pakistanis who have no direct experience of the Liberation War in Bangladesh.

But there are elder citizens too, including senior people in the administration, in different political parties, not to mention journalists and members of the commentariat who are bitterly critical of the 1971 break-up.

There are several Pakistani TV channels where the younger set are shown discussing how Bangladesh has left Pakistan well behind in creating better health facilities for the people, in women empowerment, poverty reduction, family planning, and general education.

Pakistan may boast of having more cars than Bangladesh and smartphones, but the former eastern province enjoys better forex reserves ($32 billion as against $14bn), more mobiles (84% of people as against 68%), registers a better GDP growth, and less foreign debt, despite receiving only a fraction of Pakistan’s level of foreign aid.

The average Pakistani is marginally healthier than the Bangladeshi, but joblessness in Pakistan is much more than pronounced, not to mention the terrorism-related violence and the socio/political cost thereof. The fact that Bangladesh is poised to reach a GDP of over $273bn by end 2018 and overtake Pakistan’s GDP by 2021 at present rates is highly appreciated.

Bangladesh does not suffer crippling power cuts like Pakistan, consuming around 16,000 megawatts daily, a figure expected to touch 22,000 MWs in the 2020s. In garments exports, it ranks second in the world.

By 2021, along with Myanmar and Laos, Bangladesh is poised to join the ranks of middle-income countries, an elevation from the ranks of 47 least developed countries, at its present rate of growth — in the sectors of personal income, economic vulnerability, and human assets creation.

It needs stressing here that the present writer has taken these figures mostly covering the 2016-17 period, from Pakistani print and electronic media. Especially on TV channels, it has been heartening to see young Pakistanis listening with interest to the Bangladeshi national anthem and wishing their “brothers in the East all well.”

It was also encouraging to see similar programs related to the present status and growth of major Indian cities like Kolkata on some Pakistani channels where most people expressed their appreciation. Their obvious interest in the economic growth of Bangladesh and India was a healthy sign for the political future of South Asia as a whole.

As for reactions in India to developments in Bangladesh and Pakistan, especially among the young, this writer can personally confirm that there exist a matching interest and curiosity to learn more about their (former compatriots and current) neighbours with whom they have so much in common in terms of food, language, culture, and religion.

As analyst Charubrata Ray puts it: “When today’s young generation assumes power in all three countries of the sub-continent, who knows what new possibilities may open up? Maybe Pakistan will unhesitatingly apologize to Bangladesh and India, and Pakistan may well apologize to each other — and a new era of hope may prevail in South Asia?”

An added point of interest is that of late, even blaming India for “having taken advantage of the problems in Bangladesh” is no longer done by the older generation of Pakistanis with the anger and vigour of the past. Col Sabyasachi Bagchi says, “they agree that if they were in Mrs Indira Gandhi’s place, they would have done exactly the same in Bangladesh, in a world dominated by realpolitik.”

Ashis Biswas writes from Kolkata, India.
pakistan already said sorry, and bangladesh already accepted apology, it was written down in agreement and signed by FOUNDING LEADER of Bangladesh..things were okay for next 3 decades

one example, Bangladesh was larger than Pakistan, much more bigger GDP(see WB reports) yet pakistan took over all loans and liabilities (this has never happened in history, even at partition of india, never happened)

now reigniting an old dead issue due to politics is not our fault

Like a few lines from one of my favourite (post)-confederate songs:

I'm glad i fit 'gainst it...I only wish we'd won...I ain't askt' any pardon... for anything I've done...

..... ....

I can't pick up my musket and fight em now no more, but I ain't gonna love em, now that is certain sure...

...and I don't want no pardon for what I was an' am....I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a damn!
Yes that one is a classic.

Although not exactly a Confederate song, but nonetheless commemorating that era is Johnny Reb by Johnny Horton which is one of my favorites up there with the one you mentioned.

This is real American folk music.

Last edited:
Pakistan was cut in half by it's enemy during a War, and they want an apology from us...

What garbage.
I think the Bangladeshis meant the atrocities committed against them.

Even I must admit I am not very aware about this.

But at the same time Bangladeshis also supported the Mukti Bahini.

So its a two way street.

Bangladesh GDP becoming larger than Pakistan? All predictions of future economies put Pakistan ahead of Bangladesh. Bangladesh's GDP is 20% smaller than Pakistan. This year Pakistan's GDP growth was 5.8% and its only going to increase next year.

And Bangladesh has nothing to celebrate. They have become an Indian puppet. Their current leadership is in fact a dictatorship. They are heading towards a single party system.

Back
Top Bottom