What's new

Which Anti Tank Missile Is Best

FGM-148 Javelin :D

has a per missile cost $40,000 USD not bad considering tanks worth couple million USD. I used this in call of duty, it made spectacular mince meat out of the Russian tanks.

The actual command unit can be purchased for around $$125,000 from Raytheon and Lockheed Martin, hehe :). Might put in a order for one of these Beauties in Engineering and a couple of missiles. And go bird hunting with it :)

As a fire-and-forget missile, after launch the missile has to be able to track and destroy its target without the gunner. This is done by coupling an onboard imaging IR system (different from CLU imaging system) with an onboard tracking system.

Javelin3.jpg

The gunner uses the CLU’s IR system to find and identify the target then switches to the missile’s independent IR system to set a track box around the target and establish a lock. The gunner places brackets around the image for locking.

The seeker stays focused on the target’s image continuing to track it as the target moves or the missile’s flight path alters or as attack angles change. The seeker has three main components: focal plane array (FPA), cooling and calibration and stabilization.

FGM-148 Javelin

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the problem with DRDO, they want the best in world and end up in a mess. Look at their history of products. It looks good in the video but still going through trials for GOD knows how many years (i remember i was in college when i first heard of it :P) and IA is reluctant to induct it.

Historically people (Including Indians) always look at the gray area of DRDO/HAL etc.

Yes they do failed numerous time, delayed projects like LCA.

BUT the did make good products like, Prithvi, Agni series of missiles, Akash SAM etc. Not all their products are fail.

All the people compare their systems with top notch systems and then they loose interest in it. Nobody can't make a system top when you make it from the stretch. People hardly have patience in this case.

In case of LCA too , it supposed to happen, but because AK Antony supported it, it came all these way.

That's the problem with DRDO, they want the best in world and end up in a mess. Look at their history of products. It looks good in the video but still going through trials for GOD knows how many years (i remember i was in college when i first heard of it :P) and IA is reluctant to induct it.
please update u information...

Nag has successfully completed its final validation trials and is expected to join the Indian Army in 2011.Two missiles were launched against a moving target at a time another two missiles were launched against a stationary Vijayanta tank in quick succession and successfully hit the targets.Indian Army is happy with the performance and is expected to buy 443 missiles for Indian Rupee ₹335 crore (US$72.7 million).

The Nag will replace the existing Russian Konkours and European missile Milan, both of which are manufactured under license by Bharat Dynamics Limited.India’s anti-tank guided missiles, which are competitively priced and had been bought by Tanzania, Botswana and Morocco.[17][18] An Indian official said a country in the Middle East had shown keen interest in Nag anti-tank guided missiles during Abu Dhabi Defence Expo-2009.

The trials of the missile were conducted using an advanced imaging infrared seeker head, as per Army's requirements. On 20 January 2010, field tests of the Nag’s Thermal Sight system saw the system identify and lock on to a T-55 tank at a range of 5 km. The tank was then engaged and destroyed at a range of over 4 km [12] thus the missile’s fire-and-forget capability has been established using the day version of the IIR passive seeker.In its IIR form the Nag has limited all weather capability. This has given added impetus to develop the mmW seeker. Efforts are on to provide special embedded on-board hunters, that can hunt for targets using ‘day seekers’ and ‘day-&-night seekers’. During trials in June 2010, the short range capability of the missile to hit targets was validated. Nag missile hit a target at a range of half a kilometers in just 3 seconds.[14] In the follow on test a moving target was hit within 3.2 seconds after launch.[15] The final user trials were held during July 2010 and successfully completed. The missile has been cleared for mass production. Bharat dynamics plans to produce 100 missiles per year. The Nag missile will replace the second generation anti-tank missiles in Army armoury.[

You should separate them in classes:

1) AT4 is not missile at all, its RPG.
2) Javelin and Spike MR/LR are man portable missiles, they weight 12-14 kg and range 2-2.5 km (4 km for Spike LR)
3) Kornet, Hot, TOW, Baktar Shikan are semi portable missiles. They weight 25-27 kg and range 4-5 km.
4) Nag, Hellfire, Spike ER are platform launched missiles, they weight over 40-50 kg and range 8 km.

There are also Spike NLOS and Nimrod missiles which weight 70-96 kg and have range of 25-26 km :smokin:

Specifications

Mokopa SAL
Length: 1,995 mm (6 ft 6.5 in)
Diameter: 178 mm (7 in)
Weight: 49.8 kg (110 lb)
Range: 10 km (6.2 miles)
Seeker: Semi-Active Laser (SAL)

Ingwe
Length: 1,750 mm
Diameter: 127 mm
Weight: 28.5 kg
Range: 0.5-5 km
Seeker: Laser

You should separate them in classes:

1) AT4 is not missile at all, its RPG.
2) Javelin and Spike MR/LR are man portable missiles, they weight 12-14 kg and range 2-2.5 km (4 km for Spike LR)
3) Kornet, Hot, TOW, Baktar Shikan are semi portable missiles. They weight 25-27 kg and range 4-5 km.
4) Nag, Hellfire, Spike ER are platform launched missiles, they weight over 40-50 kg and range 8 km.

There are also Spike NLOS and Nimrod missiles which weight 70-96 kg and have range of 25-26 km :smokin:

A small correction - The range of Nag is only 4 km and not 8 km as said.

The higher range air-launched version (HELINA) is under development.

That's the problem with DRDO, they want the best in world and end up in a mess. Look at their history of products. It looks good in the video but still going through trials for 1)GOD knows how many years (i remember i was in college when i first heard of it :P) and 2) IA is reluctant to induct it.

1)That is because we follow the philosophy of testing a system thoroughly before inducting and not inducting and then testing.

2) Who gave you the idea ?? hundreds of Nag missiles have been ordered by the IA.

well hope pakistan buy atleast javelian to bloster our anti tank regiments more it is reliable and portable and if not than kornet is another good option

Milan is old or me is pakistan army shown their interest in Javelian or not

well hope pakistan buy atleast javelian to bloster our anti tank regiments more it is reliable and portable and if not than kornet is another good option

Javelin has top attack mood and direct attack mood .looks very awesome .its tested in actual battle field so much reliable . pakistan should try to develop some thing like javelin in large number for use in close combat with infantry along will platform launch missile like chinese h-10 in their apc and ifv . combination of this will be deadly for any enemy with russian armour . :cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom